• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sir Velo
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
    Well, guess what? Dreech squared here -
    Svalbard not noted for its balmy climes at this time of year!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
      Well, guess what? Dreech squared here -
      Well the lunchtime news announced that rain had reached Old Trafford. Whoever he is, poor fellow. Somewhere in the North, one supposes...

(Slouches back into comfy sofa wearing latest complacent Rees Smug parliamentary fashion expression).

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Yes, cricket off at the mo - I suspect for some time.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

What a day of contrasts yesterday was. Pouring down first thing, then brightened up later, into a late summer’s day. Today, blue sky.
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
            What a day of contrasts yesterday was. Pouring down first thing, then brightened up later, into a late summer’s day. Today, blue sky.
            It was pleasant enough for a longish ride over to St John's, between Deptford and Lewisham. and a guided walk through interesting Georgian and Victorian back streets - my guide being a download from an internet site - before heading back along the Ravensbourne riverside walk, with a stop off for tea and cake at the little log cabin place that dispenses food in Ladywell Park, with Lewisham General Hospital conveniently nearby!

Lambeth Palace, home of the Archbish of Canterbury, opens its extensive gardens to the public tomorrow afternoon for an entry charge of a fiver. Shame the weather is not predicted to be good. However, there are a lot of walks, open days etc, in connection with the Lambeth Festival, which lasts for most of this month. On Sunday my choice is between the Van Gogh House Open Day - VG lived in Camberwell for a number of years, and the house, in the Loughborough Junction district, opened recently as a museum - and the Henry Tate Gardens in Streatham. Tate, the sugar magnate, occupied Park Hill, the Regency mansion just north of the Common otherwise known as the White Lodge, from 1880 - during which time he established what is now known as Tate Britain on the Westminster Embankment.

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Sunny and dry today but really chilly thanks to much wind from NW.
              Yesterday didn't quite go as forecast in my neck of the woods, thanks to the rain doing its own thing. Some short sharp showers that necessitated abandoning wheelbarrows and taking shelter, but by midday the sky cleared and it got quite warm in the sun.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                Sunny and dry today but really chilly thanks to much wind from NW.
                Yesterday didn't quite go as forecast in my neck of the woods, thanks to the rain doing its own thing. Some short sharp showers that necessitated abandoning wheelbarrows and taking shelter, but by midday the sky cleared and it got quite warm in the sun.
                Yes that cold front did drag its heels a bit. And as you say, definitely colder today, with a veil of cirrostratus now spreading down from the NW making the sun milky, and my thermometer only reading 16C, which is more like mid-October.

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  Yes that cold front did drag its heels a bit. And as you say, definitely colder today, with a veil of cirrostratus now spreading down from the NW making the sun milky, and my thermometer only reading 16C, which is more like mid-October.
                  For a while this early morning the cloud formation was courtesy of aircraft(military I assume) manoeuvres - U-turns, figures of eight, etc which made part of the sky look like a disassembled spaghetti junction. Slightly disconcerting to see 3 figure 8s looking as if they were stacked almost one on top of the other - I hope it was one aircraft repeating the exercise rather than 3 at once...

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

Fingers crossed - as yet NO rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Nay, washing on line and drying! Phew!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

I think we may.
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                        I think we may.
                        I'm still toying with the idea of cycling up to the RFH for some lunchtime jazz, followed by a visit to the Archbishop's gardens nearby, but the weather picture isn't all that clear; a lot of heavy dark cloud is looming up from the west, next door's cat Maya has just crept in and is sitting on my lap. I don't have the heart to chuck her out, but in any case I have 30 minutes to make a decision. Ah, I see it's now raining, so unless this clears quickly the decision seems to have made itself!

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

Sun, fast clouds, big breeze, even some warmth. So not bad. And we deserve break after the four degrees of yuk.

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

I can't keep up! It was going to be wet part of the morning but OK for most of the afternoon, but now a great blue (no not Tory Party!) mass has appeared over the map and rain is likely much of the time from now until evening. Tiresome, as I had intended to walk into town for my dentist appointment and do a few errands at the same time, but if the rain appears and is more than token the errands will have to wait. Oh, and chilly with it whatever happens - the boiler thermostat got triggered when I left the bathroom window open for a while this morning.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                              I can't keep up! It was going to be wet part of the morning but OK for most of the afternoon, but now a great blue (no not Tory Party!) mass has appeared over the map and rain is likely much of the time from now until evening. Tiresome, as I had intended to walk into town for my dentist appointment and do a few errands at the same time, but if the rain appears and is more than token the errands will have to wait.
                              I know! It's stopped raining for now, but there's still too much low clag obscuring the higher clouds that would indicate what is likely to happen. It's only 17C and unlikely to rise higher, so I'm gonna risk it and take a cape with me, literally just in case.

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                I know! It's stopped raining for now, but there's still too much low clag obscuring the higher clouds that would indicate what is likely to happen. It's only 17C and unlikely to rise higher, so I'm gonna risk it and take a cape with me, literally just in case.
                                The thermostat is set at 16, which obviously wouldn't normally signify indoors, but as it's only 15 outside( out of the cold brisk wind), leaving the window open for a while was enough to take the temperature right down. The rain is tending so far to be the brief episode intermittent spot variety, quickly dried up by the wind, but it would be foolish to assume it will stay that way when I have to go out!

Comment

Working...
                                X