X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
    'Twas hot yesterday(19 in the afternoon) 'tis cold today(11 ish but windchill taking it down to single figures). Interesting as the wind direction didn't/hasn't changed significantly, just the quantity.
    What happened was that a pocket of warm humid air of eastern Mediterranean origin had sort of sneaked its way in behind the westward passage of the warm front, just ahead of the colder winds sweeping in off the North Sea. It was that warm air pocket that triggered off some thunderstorms over the Netherlands and Belgium duirng the afternoon, some of which reached the convergence line marked by the front, and travelled west-north-westwards, producing downpours over the West Midlands. This happens sometimes around this time of the year: as the pressure patterns re-align, and warming conditions converge west of the Urals with still cold airmasses over Siberia, you can get the seemingly anomalous situation of warmer weather reaching the UK from the direction of Scandinavia than is being experienced over the western Mediterranean.

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

Brilliant sunshine, bitingly cold wind today - typical of Suffolk in the Spring!

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Here, what I like to think of 'Goldilocks' weather: pleasantly average, nondescript.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
          Here, what I like to think of 'Goldilocks' weather: pleasantly average, nondescript.
          I’m hoping fir a better day today.
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
            That's Barbie Doll weather you're describing!

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Clear horizon to horizon, fine clean air, and a biting N/NE. If the wind drops at all, I reckon frost.

When does a 'breeze' become a 'wind' for pro weather forecasters? Serious question - is there an mph about it?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                Clear horizon to horizon, fine clean air, and a biting N/NE. If the wind drops at all, I reckon frost.

When does a 'breeze' become a 'wind' for pro weather forecasters? Serious question - is there an mph about it?
                One would imagine informal weather communiqué language not to be too fussed with distinctions of that sort. FYI however, may I offer the Beaufort Scale of Wind Force?

0 Calm <1mph Smoke rises vertically

1 Light Air 1-3mph Direction shown by smoke, but not by wind vanes

2 Light Breeze 4-7mph Wind felt on face; leaves rustle; ordinary vane moved by wind

3 Gentle Breeze 8-12mph Leaves and small twigs in constant motion; wind extends light flag

4 Moderate Breeze 13-18mph Raises dust and loose paper; small branches are moved

5 Fresh Breeze 19-24mph Small trees in leaf begin to sway

6 Strong Breeze 25-31mph Large branches in motion; umbrellas used with difficulty

7 Moderate Gale 32-38mph Whole trees in motion; inconvenience felt when walking against wind

8 Fresh Gale 39-46mph Breaks off twigs; generally impedes progress

9 Strong Gale 47-54mph Slight structural damage; chimney pots and slates removed

10 Whole Gale 55-63mph Trees uprooted; considerable structural damage

11 Storm 64-75mph Widespread damage; very rarely experienced*

12 Hurricane >75mph Countryside is devastated

*Inland, at any rate, apart from on mountain tops, or in funnelling between tall buildings, down narrow valleys etc.

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Looks like a promisingly good day here again today.

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    One would imagine informal weather communiqué language not to be too fussed with distinctions of that sort. FYI however, may I offer the Beaufort Scale of Wind Force?

0 Calm <1mph Smoke rises vertically

1 Light Air 1-3mph Direction shown by smoke, but not by wind vanes

2 Light Breeze 4-7mph Wind felt on face; leaves rustle; ordinary vane moved by wind

3 Gentle Breeze 8-12mph Leaves and small twigs in constant motion; wind extends light flag

4 Moderate Breeze 13-18mph Raises dust and loose paper; small branches are moved

5 Fresh Breeze 19-24mph Small trees in leaf begin to sway

6 Strong Breeze 25-31mph Large branches in motion; umbrellas used with difficulty

7 Moderate Gale 32-38mph Whole trees in motion; inconvenience felt when walking against wind

8 Fresh Gale 39-46mph Breaks off twigs; generally impedes progress

9 Strong Gale 47-54mph Slight structural damage; chimney pots and slates removed

10 Whole Gale 55-63mph Trees uprooted; considerable structural damage

11 Storm 64-75mph Widespread damage; very rarely experienced*

12 Hurricane >75mph Countryside is devastated

*Inland, at any rate, apart from on mountain tops, or in funnelling between tall buildings, down narrow valleys etc.
                    Memorably recorded by Ian MacKellen...(Available on You Tube. I tried posting the link, but it came up, as it usually does when it sees me coming, as 'Video unavailable'. Google 'Ian Mackellen Beaufort Scale').

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                      Memorably recorded by Ian MacKellen...(Available on You Tube. I tried posting the link, but it came up, as it usually does when it sees me coming, as 'Video unavailable'. Google 'Ian Mackellen Beaufort Scale').
                      No3 appeared in the Weekend i general knowledge crossword!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

What’s it going to turn out like?
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by DracoM View Post

Frost forecast here for the next few nights, no surprise given clear skies and very cold daytime winds. Somewhat tiresome as I had hoped to deal with much needed joint and crack repairs to the paved and concrete area outside my back door, having finally go hold of the necessary bag of stuff courtesy of a friend. I don't have enough sacks to protect the curing cement and don't really want to have to do it in small sections as the clearing up will be a faff multiplied several times.
                          Ah well, plenty else to be getting on with outside when sufficiently wind-proofed.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                            Frost forecast here for the next few nights, no surprise given clear skies and very cold daytime winds. Somewhat tiresome as I had hoped to deal with much needed joint and crack repairs to the paved and concrete area outside my back door, having finally go hold of the necessary bag of stuff courtesy of a friend. I don't have enough sacks to protect the curing cement and don't really want to have to do it in small sections as the clearing up will be a faff multiplied several times.
                            Ah well, plenty else to be getting on with outside when sufficiently wind-proofed.
                            I imagine your paved area as resembling the face of an 102-year old voter in the Indian general election, filmed in today's lunchtime news. On seeing all those wrinkles and crevices, my immediate thought was, "crazy paving"!

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              I imagine your paved area as resembling the face of an 102-year old voter in the Indian general election, filmed in today's lunchtime news. On seeing all those wrinkles and crevices, my immediate thought was, "crazy paving"!
                              ... or WH Auden - "my face looks like a wedding-cake left out in the rain... "

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Yes!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X