X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • burning dog
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Got up to find not only a fence panel down but a 4"x4" post, to, snapped off near its base. Well, I was planning to repalce the whole fence line in the near future anyway. I think I will opt for concrete posts, this time.
    Now been told by a neighbour "That one always looked a bit dodgy"

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Got up to find not only a fence panel down but a 4"x4" post, to, snapped off near its base. Well, I was planning to repalce the whole fence line in the near future anyway. I think I will opt for concrete posts, this time.
      I recommend lath fencing as it lets the wind through where panels don’t. More expensive yes but worth it longer term!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Well the big hornbeam abovementioned got through totally unscathed from last night, but the sycamore right up against it lost another seven quite large branches, in addition to a similar number having fallen from that particular tree throughout this year. That poor sycamore's crown is starting to look rather threadbare. While this isn't an especially long-lasting type of tree. it's sad to see specimens which must have been here when the district was still wooded countryside, (Part of the North Wood, after which Norwood is named, and which extended all the way from north of Croydon to Deptford). Fortunately our other 5 sycamores of similar age marking the perimeter have hardly been wind-damaged at all. Sunday "promises" to be a very wet day indeed, covering a large area whose northern limits depend on which meteorological model one goes for! - the same applying to the possible extend of any gales calculated as being likely to develop due to any deepening of the rain-bearing depression as it heads off towards the Benelux.

Phew! - big black cumulonimbus looming up from the west now, as I write!

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Not a very nice day yesterday! Goodness! Hoping be good today.

As I haven’t been very well, we decided not to go to Duxford, yesterday. I think a good decision, because the weather not too great there either.
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Grey and distinctly chilly today, but on the plus side very little wind and teh weather warnings that were still in evidence late last night have(for now at least) gone, so there'll be some point in clearing debris from the garden and nagging the person who agreed to cut my overgrown hedge and the neighbour's overhanging trees to fix a date for next week. Said trees didn't, as I had feared, break and come down(mostly vastly overgrown buddleia, so brittle), but their leaning has got noticeably worse so that branches are much lower down over my garden, and much more damage has been done to my fence, which a couple are leaning on.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Blimey, stopped raining.
              Still, I am in the north, I suppose.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                Blimey, stopped raining.
                Still, I am in the north, I suppose.
                Well it started here around eleven, is continuous and moderate - and, given there's no jet stream to move this system on, probably set in for the next 36 hours. Having said that, we do need it.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Going to be rather wet and windy today!
                  Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                    Going to be rather wet and windy today!
                    Not so windy, but very wet. And now we have the body shock of November temperatures!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Sunny and mildly warm here in this bit of the Pennines all day today - looks good for the rest of the week, too.
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Typical, as soon as the weekend has passed by, the weather picks up! Justed wasted a weekend at home, instead of going to the Duxford Air Show but a) I wasn’t feeling too great and b) the weather was atrocious up there too. Ah well, c’est la Vie!
                        Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                          • Nov 2010

....sadly while driving around the area passing 100's of kilo's of crab apples getting crushed on the road....was a time when the family would have ben there with bags collecting for crab apple jelly....lovely and tart....but now amount of sugar is a negative....

....today,as yesterday, GOLDEN just west of Skipton....nip in the air....
                          bong ching

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

... just walked thro' Hyde Park, from Rutland Gate up to the Serpentine - Christo's Mastaba still there in all its glory - up to the Round Pond and out towards Queensway.

In fifty years of walking in the Park and Kensington Gardens I have never seen it so beautiful - the air cataract-clearing in its sharpness, the trees just on the beginning of a turn, the light on the buildings and bird life just stunning. Enough to make you cry.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                              ....sadly while driving around the area passing 100's of kilo's of crab apples getting crushed on the road....was a time when the family would have ben there with bags collecting for crab apple jelly....lovely and tart....but now amount of sugar is a negative....

....today,as yesterday, GOLDEN just west of Skipton....nip in the air....
                              Atmosphere here as clear as in your neck o'the moors I would imagine, eighth - just for today where you are, but everwhere (northern Scotland apart) should be under sunny skies by Wednesday, and for the remainder of the week. It's time to start covering up any tender perennials now. This is said to be the highest high pressure system on record for September in this country.

Just now managed to remove a 3 mm splinter from my left (fortunately) forefinger (in toto, hopefully) - a rose thorn self-inflicted when I had a bit of a trip in that particular flower bed 2 weeks ago. Lucky I swamped the finger with Detto - the site gushing too much blood at the time to dig the said thorn out: they have been known to lead to blood poisening - but it had been giving me gyp ever since. No sooner had I got the Detto, cotton wool, needle and plaster ready in place, what should happen but the neighbour's cat came in through the open front door and chose to jump up on my lap!

Opportunities should be aplenty this week for some lovely final long cycle trips for 2018.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                                So that's what it's called!

Comment

Working...
                                X