• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
    The heavens have officially opened.
    Pity the poor cyclists trying to do the London cycle ride today. Not only rain, but also quite strong winds to contend with.

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

SA, yes was rather blustery! We have that wet stuff that falls down from the sky today. What’s it called?
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Flushing it down here as I write.
        Temp dropped like a stone. Genuinely chilly.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
          Flushing it down here as I write.
          Temp dropped like a stone. Genuinely chilly.
          And how - from 33 on Friday afternoon to 17 this morning, via mid to higher 20's on Saturday. Struggled up to about 20 later in the day and it looks as if it'll stay around that level for much of the night - bizarre. It was a pretty good approximation of an autumn day in fact - intermittent rain, cool, and very windy, requiring not just a waterproof but an extra layer for going out.
          The wind is doing its best to remove what rain we did eventually get late Friday, and is also doing a good job of bringing down tree bits, large and small, dead and alive; tiresome in the garden, more of a worry at work when the public is using the site.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Ditto here.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
              SA, yes was rather blustery! We have that wet stuff that falls down from the sky today. What’s it called?
              Rain when the droplets are above a certain size; drizzle when below. Or you could use the collective noun precipitation, to save sectarian divisions and show how intelligent you are!

Good to see green seeping back into the lawn once more - though not as impressive as a bowling green in the S of France I saw change from straw-coloured to green all over within 3 hours of a thunderstorm. Obviously we have the wrong kind of grass in this country!

Has the hot weather left anybody else feeling absolutely shattered? I've felt totally done in and unable to do anything "important" (like sorting bills, filling out council forms, etc) since Friday.

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Has the hot weather left anybody else feeling absolutely shattered?
                No, quite the reverse in my case but then I've long thought that I was born in the wrong country!
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

[QUOTE=Serial_Apologist;690233]Rain when the droplets are above a certain size; drizzle when below. Or you could use the collective noun precipitation, to save sectarian divisions and show how intelligent you are.[/. QUOTE]

There’s also the stuff that drifts around horizontally in mist and gets you very wet, known as mizzle.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

More rain! As soon as schools are on holidays! Typical! But I think we should get that yellow orb later!
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

Rain when the droplets are above a certain size; drizzle when below. Or you could use the collective noun precipitation, to save sectarian divisions and show how intelligent you are!

Good to see green seeping back into the lawn once more - though not as impressive as a bowling green in the S of France I saw change from straw-coloured to green all over within 3 hours of a thunderstorm. Obviously we have the wrong kind of grass in this country!

Has the hot weather left anybody else feeling absolutely shattered? I've felt totally done in and unable to do anything "important" (like sorting bills, filling out council forms, etc) since Friday.
                      You can certainly include me and the lady wife among the shattered. I'm afraid it's cloudy/muggy this morning and unfortunately the wind has died down.

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Has the hot weather left anybody else feeling absolutely shattered? .
                        ... drained, exhausted, rather than shattered.

'Shattered' however quite the right word for a minor catastrophe here last Thursday. A loud crash - I thought, 'O cuff, a picture has fallen down...' - went into the dining room whence the noise, to find glass all over the table and floor : one of the glass panels in the roof had exploded into hundreds of thousands of tiny fragments. Presumably the heat (and/or a defective installation of double glazing).

As we say in these parts - 'so boring... '

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

Crikey! That's appalling, Poor you - and glass.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            ... drained, exhausted, rather than shattered.

'Shattered' however quite the right word for a minor catastrophe here last Thursday. A loud crash - I thought, 'O cuff, a picture has fallen down...' - went into the dining room whence the noise, to find glass all over the table and floor : one of the glass panels in the roof had exploded into hundreds of thousands of tiny fragments. Presumably the heat (and/or a defective installation of double glazing).

As we say in these parts - 'so boring... '

I've never heard of that happening before, vints. Is it possible something dropped from on high on it?

It now looks as it the maximum heat will come here on Friday, with a possible 32 C in London, after which it should cool down a bit, with winds being drawn in off the N Sea for this side of the country at any rate, which will (or should imv) give us the warm, clear days and cooler nights we were experiencing two weeks ago. For really high temperatures during next week it will be the SW's turn this time.

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

I've never heard of that happening before, vints. Is it possible something dropped from on high on it?
                              ... don't think so - it was the under-side panel of the double-glazing that disintegrated - mercifully the upper panel remained intact, preserving us from the torrents of Friday....

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                                ... don't think so - it was the under-side panel of the double-glazing that disintegrated - mercifully the upper panel remained intact, preserving us from the torrents of Friday....

Aha - hadn't realised that. Presumably the air in the airlock between panes on double glazing units expands more, the hotter the temperature differential between inside and outside becomes.

Comment

Working...
                                X