• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    Hope this gets things straight! June 21 is the summer solstice, the longest day, while Midsummer's Day is, as those who know their Die Meistersinger will be aware, Johannistag - St John's Day, June 24.
    ... and, of course, their Midsummer Marriage.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      Hope this gets things straight! June 21 is the summer solstice, the longest day, while Midsummer's Day is, as those who know their Die Meistersinger will be aware, Johannistag - St John's Day, June 24.
      So it's christianity's fault again, interfering with perfectly good pagan festivals?

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Another lovely day today, by the looks of it. Be a wonder that we haven’t heard the dreaded word, drought!

Very stressful morning with my elderly mother yesterday. Trying to find some carpet for a bathroom, for gawd’s sake! I wouldn’t have that, personally. She was getting quite irritable ! I pitied the poor carpet salesman!
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Flawless.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
            Another lovely day today, by the looks of it. Be a wonder that we haven’t heard the dreaded word, drought!

Very stressful morning with my elderly mother yesterday. Trying to find some carpet for a bathroom, for gawd’s sake! I wouldn’t have that, personally. She was getting quite irritable ! I pitied the poor carpet salesman!
            Did she give him a right carpetting then?

Comment

• Joseph K
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
              Flawless.
              Same.

It's idyllic - still sunny but warmer than yesterday, but not too warm.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                Same.

It's idyllic - still sunny but warmer than yesterday, but not too warm.
                And there's me thinking DracoM was making a punning reference to Bbm's bathroom flooring problems!

But yes, the weather's about as good as it gets in my book. It is however set to get warmer next week, and stuffier as the wind drops out. This is heat borne by a north-east extention of the Azores high, so it's like 1975 and 1976 then, and with air descending and drying out, humidity shouldn't be at oppressive levels. They're talking of temperatures reaching at least 27 C widely across the country on Monday, from here to Glasgow.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  Did she give him a right carpetting then?
                  At one point I thought he was going to! Gawd!

Another lovely day today. MrsBBM has already been out shopping! 7am!
                  Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Taking it's time to warm up here with the sun struggling to get through the cloud and to counter a stiff breeze. The days ahead look most promising however.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Be going to be another hot day today!
                      Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                        Be going to be another hot day today!
                        Hotter still by all accounts tomorrow, after which it remains very warm but more comfortably so for the remainder of the week. No signs of any rain whatsoever - just been out in the cool of the late evening watering alongside the footpaths where the grass had turned yellow. Beautiful deep orange-red sunset backdrop to the impressive apparently permanent array of red lights across the London landscape to the north.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Oh gawd! Looking forward to the cooler times ahead!
                          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

I had lower back pain following a weekend of "spring" cleaning, and then entertaining (and being entertained by) the 2-6 year olds playing on two of my keyboards while the mums and visiting grandmums held an impromptu afternoon barbecue. I'd forgotten what fun small kids can be when they discover the joys of music making, but also that I'm not as agile as once I was! Have just returned from a 4-mile walk - it was just too exhausting to do the entire 6 miler in today's 26 or 27 degree heat, and either that, or catching sight of a young woman sunbathing, lying on her stomach wearing nothing more than the briefest of thongs, seems to have improved matters considerably! I keep telling folks this district is London's best-kept secret!

Returning to, ahem, more germane matters, it now looks like there will be at least a partial breakdown with thunderstorms on Sunday, particularly affecting the south-west.

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              I had lower back pain following a weekend of "spring" cleaning, and then entertaining (and being entertained by) the 2-6 year olds playing on two of my keyboards while the mums and visiting grandmums held an impromptu afternoon barbecue. I'd forgotten what fun small kids can be when they discover the joys of music making, but also that I'm not as agile as once I was! Have just returned from a 4-mile walk - it was just too exhausting to do the entire 6 miler in today's 26 or 27 degree heat, and either that, or catching sight of a young woman sunbathing, lying on her stomach wearing nothing more than the briefest of thongs, seems to have improved matters considerably! I keep telling folks this district is London's best-kept secret!

Returning to, ahem, more germane matters, it now looks like there will be at least a partial breakdown with thunderstorms on Sunday, particularly affecting the south-west.
                              Hot, and the pollen has returned.

Still, lovely weather, though not much sunbathing ( that I saw) in the part of London I was in today, which was lovely Feltham. A part of London whose secrets are probably best kept a secret, I suspect. Anyway, a reasonably interesting days work, with no distractions, other than the closure of the M25 , which I managed to avoid.

Caught Rach Symphony # 2 on Ao3. Surely even the work's biggest fans must want a rest from it.
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                                Hot, and the pollen has returned.

Still, lovely weather, though not much sunbathing ( that I saw) in the part of London I was in today, which was lovely Feltham. A part of London whose secrets are probably best kept a secret, I suspect.
                                No, shout them from the rooftops - for enthusiasts of railway history, a name of some significance (and I don't mean HM Prison) - see

Those G16s were something else - sort of Morton Feldman of steam locomotives .....

Comment

Working...
                                X