X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Reminiscences of former "culture"

I love some of the BBC Four programmes about bygone times. Tonight there's this - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b053pzmd - about Italian restaurants, and it includes the famous spaghetti tree film. I didn't know about growing more by putting a stick of spaghetti into a tin of tomatoes!

String quartet in a spaghetti or pizza bar too!
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

That reminds me of the time when I had an audience (or at least some of them) spellbound as I explained the propogation of wooden recorders - how a tiny garklein recorder could be planted in order to grow sopraninos, descants, trebles, tenors, basses and great basses. The procedure could not work with plastic instruments.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      That reminds me of the time when I had an audience (or at least some of them) spellbound as I explained the propogation of wooden recorders - how a tiny garklein recorder could be planted in order to grow sopraninos, descants, trebles, tenors, basses and great basses. The procedure could not work with plastic instruments.
      I cold imagine Gerard Hoffnung coming up with something like that.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

It's a very watchable programme - a repeat from a couple of years ago, I think, but I enjoyed watching it as much as I did first time round. Not just Italians, but Chinese and Indian cuisines, too - and Jazz as well as* String Quartets with your Pizza .

The only trouble is that it's one of those programmes that leaves you feeling very hungry! (Not to mention nostalgic for Prawn Cocktail and Black Forest Gateaux!)

* - although NOT (on the occasion filmed, at least) at the same time.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          It's a very watchable programme - a repeat from a couple of years ago, I think, but I enjoyed watching it as much as I did first time round...
          ... it was excellent. A salutary reminder how limited the restaurant experience was in the 1950s. Ghastly...

Comment

• gradus
            • Nov 2010

Restaurant experience in the fifties, what a toff!!

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by gradus View Post
              Restaurant experience in the fifties, what a toff!!
              Indeed. Wimpy Burgers was about the nearest thing to a restaurant I can recall.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Indeed. Wimpy Burgers was about the nearest thing to a restaurant I can recall.
                ... Lyons Corner Houses, and Kardomah I remember.

The arrival of a decent Italian tratt was a noteworthy event in Bath in the early 60s.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                  • Aug 2015

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

The arrival of a decent Italian tratt was a noteworthy event in Bath in the early 60s.
                  My Nan on my father's side was a Nippy.

Her husband wouldn't eat anywhere else outside the home.

(Not least because there was no guarantee that dinner would be ready at precisely 1pm).
                  Last edited by Lat-Literal; 07-06-17, 19:57.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Kardomah I recall more from the '60s, with rum babas and stick to the roof of your mouth baked lemon and sultana cheesecake. Lyons (later Jolyon)

yes, but always though of them as cafés rather than any kind of restaurant, whatever they called themselves.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

in the early 60s.
                      At that time I was taken out by my father (who had by then departed the family home) to what might be called 'gastro pubs' (sort of) or coaching inns where the food was decently enough cooked but the dishes were nothing out of the ordinary. And we drank wine. Father knew nothing about wine and usually selected something like a Niersteiner Domtal or Piesporter, which I fancy were rather nicer than they were 30 years later.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• arancie33
                        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        usually selected something like a Niersteiner Domtal or Piesporter, which I fancy were rather nicer than they were 30 years later.
                        I was given a bottle of Blue Nun some 20 years ago as a corporate Christmas pressie. I still have it! Any offers/suggestions or shall I leave it to the offspring to fight over Should it ever be opened, I will send tasting notes to the Forum wines committee.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by arancie33 View Post
                          I was given a bottle of Blue Nun some 20 years ago as a corporate Christmas pressie. I still have it!
                          I don't think it will improve with age …
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ahinton
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            I don't think it will improve with age …
                            Indeed - but which of us does?(!)...

Black Forest Prawn Cocktail - now there's a thing!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by arancie33 View Post
                              I was given a bottle of Blue Nun some 20 years ago as a corporate Christmas pressie. I still have it! Any offers/suggestions or shall I leave it to the offspring to fight over Should it ever be opened, I will send tasting notes to the Forum wines committee.
                              It makes for a very good slug trap.

(But rather even Blue Nun than Mateus Rose - in fact rather Pink Paraffin than Mateus Rose!)
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X