X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Cardinal

Is anyone trying this out? BBC Four - Saturdays.

Cardinal is brought back to the homicide unit when the body of a young girl is discovered.
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

I thought you on the look out for the legendary red tile polish for a moment .

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
      I thought you on the look out for the legendary red tile polish for a moment .
      ...or a Kir done with Beaujolais!

Comment

• jean
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

...or one of the seven deadly sins

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          Is anyone trying this out? BBC Four - Saturdays.
          http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08bphs2
          Me

A good start - with some genre clichés (the dedicated cop at odds with his superiors and a troubled family life, and who grumbles at his lower-ranking partner) given an interesting twist (he might be on the take, supplying information to a drugs baron - although the announcer's mentioning "other books in the series" from which this story is taken rather suggests that ... ). Worth catching up with, if missed - but rather inferior to the surreal mindgames of Fargo, series three of which started on Channel4 last week.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            Me

A good start - with some genre clichés (the dedicated cop at odds with his superiors and a troubled family life, and who grumbles at his lower-ranking partner) given an interesting twist (he might be on the take, supplying information to a drugs baron - although the announcer's mentioning "other books in the series" from which this story is taken rather suggests that ... ). Worth catching up with, if missed - but rather inferior to the surreal mindgames of Fargo, series three of which started on Channel4 last week.
            FARGO? Yes.. .. not to mention..... Twin Peaks - THE RETURN. DIFFERENT CLASS, baby.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
              FARGO? Yes.. .. not to mention..... Twin Peaks - THE RETURN. DIFFERENT CLASS, baby.
              Fargo, definitely. Superb stuff.

Twin Peaks - I found it incomprehensible then....is it meant to be.....so haven't tried this time. One review said Lynch not interested in storytelling.....

Cardinal - will give it a try. Shortish episodes so maybe record all and binge at later date.....

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Scandi-noir in Canada. Scenery / weather major characters. And a central character whose voice, de rigeur, descends to breathy, near incomprehensible grunts EVERY word.

Oh yes, and he wears a tie.

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                  Fargo, definitely. Superb stuff.

Twin Peaks - I found it incomprehensible then....is it meant to be.....so haven't tried this time. One review said Lynch not interested in storytelling.....

Cardinal - will give it a try. Shortish episodes so maybe record all and binge at later date.....
                  I watched the film Fargo - which I quite liked.

Then I tried series one of the TV series, and didn't get far, but I think I've still got all the episodes "in the can".
                  I didn't bother with series two.

Is it really so good? Should I be trying to save that up to not watch later on too?

Re Cardinal - the snowy scenes are pretty severe - reminiscent of Trapped (Iceland) and bits of the other Scandi ones. Doesn't make Canada look too appealing, but lets see how the plot(s) develop.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                    Is it really so good? Should I be trying to save that up to not watch later on too?

Re Cardinal - the snowy scenes are pretty severe - reminiscent of Trapped (Iceland) and bits of the other Scandi ones. Doesn't make Canada look too appealing, but lets see how the plot(s) develop.
                    I thought it was pretty good - didn't see the film. The snowy Minnesota landscapes quite stark as well....wonder what the place looks like in summer....all very different from Garrison Keillor

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Something decent on the telly? Good grief!!
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                        I thought it was pretty good - didn't see the film. The snowy Minnesota landscapes quite stark as well....wonder what the place looks like in summer....all very different from Garrison Keillor
                        I suggest adding the film to your "to watch" list - hopefully you'll like it - and it's only 98 minutes, so not "a lifetime" of couch potatoing.

Comment

Working...
                        X