• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanley Stewart
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Roy Barraclough, 1936-2017, RIP

The fell sergeant has now claimed the life of actor, Roy Barraclough at 81. A first rate character actor who enlivened "Corrie" as the shifty pub landlord, Alec Gilroy at the Rovers for many years. Always worth watching for his impeccable timing as well as unexpectedly surprising audiences with his sense of emotional truth which rounded-off his work by adding a sense of dimension to his performances. I only met Roy once when I worked at the Coliseum, Oldham circa 1967. Most of the company were 'locals' and they also had the Manchester Library Theatre and The Stables Theatre, offering opportunities for their work to be seen by Granada TV, casting directors. Roy bided his time and became a TV icon a few years later. I also relished his extraordinary hilarious partnership with Les Dawson. RIP,
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
    I also relished his extraordinary hilarious partnership with Les Dawson. RIP,

Les & Roy discussing holidays and Bert. I'm so pleased so many people around the world enjoy Cissie & Ada. Guaranteed to bring a smile to your face. Les, ...

Les & Roy again - this time poor Ada has just seen her Doctor! Classic comedy - more to follow...

My favourite Cissie & Ada comedy sketch... Les & Roy admiring 'everything' in the art gallery! 'Don't get too close - it might spring at you'... perfect! Mor...

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

RIP Roy, yes his scenes with Les Dawson were hilarious, including many ad libs which corpsed both. Roy I suspect, though often acting parts with a humorous edge, I suspect took his acting very seriously and was always good. Will be missed on the small screen.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Excellent and underrated actor - RIP .

Comment

• Lat-Literal
          • Aug 2015

Very sad news - Coronation Street, The Lovers, George and Mildred, Rising Damp, Last of the Summer Wine, Last Tango in Halifax, Are You Being Served? but especially Cissie and Ada where he was ideal comedy partner for that lovely man and intellectual giant in showbiz terms that was Les Dawson. Many thanks to Stanley Stewart and vinteuil for the clips.

RIP Roy Barraclough
          Last edited by Lat-Literal; 02-06-17, 00:41.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
            • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
            Very sad news - Coronation Street, The Lovers, George and Mildred, Rising Damp, Last of the Summer Wine, Last Tango in Halifax, Are You Being Served? but especially Cissie and Ada where he was ideal comedy partner for that lovely man and intellectual giant in showbiz terms that was Les Dawson. Many thanks to Stanley Stewart and vinteuil for the clips.

RIP Roy Barraclough
            I always think of Cissie and Ada when either Roy Barraclough's or Les Dawson's name is mentioned. Both were natural funnymen and were therefore the ideal comic partnership. Both too were first-rate comedy actors on their own.

When much of today's 'comedy' appears to consist of simply bawling and shouting and making strange noises Roy Barraclough was the genuine hilarious article, a giant in a golden era of comedy.

R.I.P.

Comment

Working...
            X