Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnb
    • Mar 2007

I wonder whether this will mean that the existing iPlayer "apps" incorporated into TVs, Humax and many other boxes will become incompatible with the BBC's new iPlayer configuration and stop working. If so, it is extremely unlikely that the manufacturers will update older devices leaving viewers somewhat p*ssed off, to say the least.

The BBC has form on updating iPlayer in ways that "break" iPlayer apps incorporated into TVs and various boxes.

Comment

• muzzer
      • Nov 2013

I think it's very much not on. The Beeb is a largely public service I am happy to pay for, for the time being, anyway. It is not a google giving me free stuff and hoping to sell my info on as part of its model. They are doing this so they can track usage and "offer" you stuff based on it, as if they are a Google.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

I've just had to register using the fiddly little buttons on my iphone. Made a hash of it several times. I OBJECT VERY STRONGLY. I just hate this silly teenage world of user-names, passwords and so on.

Comment

• Frances_iom
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
          I've just had to register using the fiddly little buttons on my iphone. Made a hash of it several times. I OBJECT VERY STRONGLY. I just hate this silly teenage world of user-names, passwords and so on.
          I pointed out years ago that the push to digital transmission would allow for control of who can listen + watch - as you point out the BBC at least in the UK is supposedly non-commercial though it acts as a commercial entity elsewhere (eg USA) and increasingly so in UK (count the rapidly increasing 'adverts' disguised as trailers) - I also pointed some years ago that the licence fee model would die due to digital catch up now being checked - now this loop hole is partly blocked but means total submission of viewing + now listening habits to commercial bodies - more true once FM is switched off to allow much better tracking.

Recent events have just shown how dangerous monopoly control of software based systems can be - think how Microsoft with its forced updates to Win10 could now digitally switch off access to all digital streams - some politicians are already wanting more control + soon I expect things to be much worse under the forthcoming Tory president.

Comment

• khiiutvhjui
            • Nov 2010

“By matching email addresses we may be able to identify someone who has told us they don’t need a TV licence while at the same time having signed in and watched iPlayer,”

Who would be dim enough to use the same email address though?

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by khiiutvhjui View Post
              Who would be dim enough to use the same email address though?
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Frances_iom
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                true since most matching is done on IP address which usually provides an approximate geographic location combined with browser fingerprinting (eg combination of browser, fonts + plugins) together with the cookies etc

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                  true since most matching is done on IP address which usually provides an approximate geographic location combined with browser fingerprinting (eg combination of browser, fonts + plugins) together with the cookies etc
                  Agreed, it would be very simplistic to think that 'matching email addresses' would be very effective. Though 'matching IP addresses' isn't much more effective. But by the time they get to the browsing history they have the kind of data they need to offer you 'a personal service and enhance your viewing experience'.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Frances_iom
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    Agreed, it would be very simplistic to think that 'matching email addresses' would be very effective. Though 'matching IP addresses' isn't much more effective. But by the time they get to the browsing history they have the kind of data they need to offer you 'a personal service and enhance your viewing experience'.
                    might I also refer you to https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html
                    I'm sure some of our local sophists will be happy to explain that the BBC is inherently good and in no way could be antidemocratic ...

Comment

• jean
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Seems I now have to sign in for TV iPlayer.

Unfortunately all the instructions were in Welsh, even though the programme I was trying to watch was NW Tonight.

Comment

Working...
                      X