• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanley Stewart
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Moray Watson, 1928-2017, RIP

A sad sigh hearing of the death of Moray Watson on the morning news.
    He belonged to a school of English light acting in what was known as the well-made play.
    I first noticed him in The Grass is Greener, St Martin's Theatre, late 50s, in a stylish role of the gentleman's gentleman, opposite author Hugh Williams and Joan Greenwood; later repeated his role in the film version, (1960), alongside Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr. All these players knew how to say a line of dialogue, accompanied by an expression which delivered the subtext. Equally at home in the theatre, film or TV. The soundtrack of The Grass is Greener wittily accompanied by Noel Coward's, Stately Homes of England, deliciously set the scene!

I also recall his work in Rumpole of the Bailey, Nobody's Perfect, and The Darling Buds of May, although, if my memory is accurate, he has been absent from the screen since the millenium. Much respected in the biz, too! RIP, Moray Watson.
  • Richard Tarleton

His many TV appearances apart, I was lucky enough to see him on stage in London in the 1960s in Shaw's You Never Can Tell with - I can't quite believe I'm typing this - Ralph Richardson, Judy Campbell and Celia Bannerman, an actress with a gift for comedy that I had a teenage crush on.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

"Owlface"'s father in the second series of Catweazle, too. Very fond memories
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Historian
        • Aug 2012

As well as an excellent Mr. Bennet in the BBC adaptation of 'Pride and Prejudice' in (I think) 1980. Wonderful voice, I feel.

Comment

Working...
        X