X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Wi-Fi technical stuff

It is possible to use multiple routers in a domestic environment, all using the same SSID, but on different channels. This is useful for roaming seamlessly around the house and garden. Since most wi-fi now uses OFDM, and OFDM as used in DAB broadcasting is supposed to benefit from multiple dispersed transmitters, would the same be true for wireless routers covering a small area? I could test this to see if it would work, but would it be easy to test such a system objectively- measuring throughput and other parameters?

PS:My guess is that the delays in the backbone network and store and forwarding to communicate between the routers would mean that using the same channel would not work particularly well. It'd be quite easy for different routers to be out of sync by a few milli-seconds, so using different channels, as I do at present, is the better option. Perhaps I've nswered my own question(?).
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    Perhaps I've nswered my own question(?).
    I think you have.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

I know nothing of the technicalities but my next door neighbour (as was) worked in some technical capacity for Microsoft. I saw from using Inssider that he had two routers on different channels. I asked him about it and he said that he couldn't get a signal upstairs, back room, with the router downstairs and vice versa so he had two routers and they were on different channels. Not sure how they interacted with the computers.

I had the same problem in my house but haven't since I got one of them BT fibreoptic thingies . I haven't tried the laptop out in the garden though.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

ff

If the two routers are on the same SSID and linked together somehow (I use a HomePlug link between routers) then the computers should just connect without problems - though the same password has to be used, and probably also the same encryption method. Otherwise different SSIDs can be used, in which case the routers can use the same channels, but then there will be a drop out as the computers are moved around, and a need for reauthentication.

It does solve the "black hole" problem where some areas are not covered by a single router, so might work for you.

PS: looks like you solved the problem, though I don't know about BT's "fibre optic thingies".

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

It does solve the "black hole" problem where some areas are not covered by a single router, so might work for you.
          I don't have the 'black hole' problem with the new router, but before it seemed strange that I could connect to both my nextdoor neighbours' (one on either side) routers, with their permission and passwords, but my laptop wasn't picking up my own router. Infuriating.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

roaming seamlessly around the house and garden.
            I don't have any problems raoming seamlessly around my house & garden.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
              I don't have any problems raoming seamlessly around my house & garden.
              Nothing quite like a bit of seamless roaming is there?!

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Nothing quite like a bit of seamless roaming is there?!
                I have just roamed seamlessly out into the garden (a bit cool and grey) and can confirm that I am still online. Only delay was in getting Vista to load the browser: no change there, then

Comment

• Word
                  • Jan 2011

I think you have described WDS (a Wireless Distribution System).
                  It's easy to use Apple's Airport Express base stations to extend an Airport wireless network; http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4262, but WDS has yet to be universally adopted so it's a bit hit-and-miss if you try to extend the range of other manufacturers' base stations.
                  (The linked article looks to be a little out of date as Apple's units are no longer flying saucer shaped and do support 802.11n.)

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Some modern wireless routers now appear to be much more powerful, offering greater coverage and greater range. ( maybe like this http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...-router-review ) Positioning a single router carefully can optimise the coverage. For example, putting one upstairs can work well, but then that may be too far from the telephone master socket. I developed the multiple router network for home because trying to get reception in one room seemed to be impossible. I didn't want to run cable through either - there aren't any easy ways to put in cable runs. That's why I used Homeplug units to link the routers together.

Using wireless repeaters may increase the latency and also reduce throughput. For a really high performance network I'd rcommend using a cabled system, but if the network is mostly used for Internet browsing by only one or two users, then wirelesss works, and is quite easy to install. I can watch YouTube videos all the way up to our garden shed with the rear office router turned on. Users who want to stream HD media might find wireless systems barely cope.

Comment

Working...
                    X