X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Mobile computing

Living within 30 miles or so of the Houses of Parliament I find that it's often possible to get connected via either 3G or wi-Fi, and this is useful for all sorts of reasons. A recent trip to Somerset however showed mobile access to the Internet to be so patchy that it was next to useless in that area. With members of this MB dispersed round the country, do any other members have observations about access to the Internet via mobile devices? My guess is that in the London area it will be considered good or acceptable, but elsewhere it will be thought poor or non-existent.
  • hackneyvi

My experience is limited but I have found that though I live in Hackney, the service provider made an enormous difference to my success in logging on.

When using my girlfriend's 02 dongle (in my own bedroom), I often struggled to connect. Changing to Vodaphone, I have had no difficulty in connecting from the self-same spot.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by hackneyvi View Post
      My experience is limited but I have found that though I live in Hackney, the service provider made an enormous difference to my success in logging on.

When using my girlfriend's 02 dongle (in my own bedroom), I often struggled to connect. Changing to Vodaphone, I have had no difficulty in connecting from the self-same spot.
      I agree that providers make a difference, but really my point is that outside London service is likely to be poor. I've tried Vodaphone, 3 and Orange. Shropshire has similar characteristics to Somerset, though I can confirm that the reception in the large Tesco car park in Shrewsbury using Vodaphone is OK!

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

When using my girlfriend's 02 dongle (in my own bedroom), I often struggled to connect.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

When using my girlfriend's 02 dongle (in my own bedroom), I often struggled to connect.
          OOOOOOO Matron

Comment

• Ferretfancy
            • Nov 2010

I visit the Lake District fairly regularly,mobile reception is poor to say the least, and up in Great Langdale where we are it's non existent. The same goes for terrestrial television transmissions, both analogue and Freeview. We have had Freesat installed, and that works fine. Lot's of interference on FM as well, probably from unshielded sources at a nearby quarry. Never mind, watch the rain on the window and count the sheep!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
              • Jan 2011

Dunno where we are (Northumberland), as I use a land line - but not really that bothered to be honest! If I need the internet - I'll find it. Sorry to be so nihilistic - but I think these things sometimes need a sense of perspective.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                Living within 30 miles or so of the Houses of Parliament I find that it's often possible to get connected via either 3G or wi-Fi, and this is useful for all sorts of reasons.
                Why? I can't think of any reason why it would be useful - or desirable. It just leads to yet more people roaming the streets not looking where they are going, & getting in the way.

Comment

• hackneyvi

My experience is limited but ... When using my girlfriend's 02 dongle (in my own bedroom), I often struggled to connect.
                  Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                  Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                  OOOOOOO Matron
                  I should have seen that coming but I'm very naive, you know.

Mucky bleeders!

Comment

Working...
                  X