X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Leo Baxendale, legend of the Beano

I was very sad to read about the death of the wonderful Leo Baxendale, creator of the Bash Street Kids, The Banana Bunch and Minnie the Minx among others. After Dudley D Watkins, he was the next creator of these joys of childhood whom I realised had a name. Before then it hadn't occurred to me how these works of delight that arrived weekly in the house were created. The Bash Street Kids remains one of the great jewels of British humour, and often on the bus home I would pull a Beano out of my back pocket and laugh out loud reading them. (...and that was just last week!)

Artist was creator of beloved characters such as Minnie the Minx and the Bash Street Kids

• Lat-Literal
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
    I was very sad to read about the death of the wonderful Leo Baxendale, creator of the Bash Street Kids, The Banana Bunch and Minnie the Minx among others. After Dudley D Watkins, he was the next creator of these joys of childhood whom I realised had a name. Before then it hadn't occurred to me how these works of delight that arrived weekly in the house were created. The Bash Street Kids remains one of the great jewels of British humour, and often on the bus home I would pull a Beano out of my back pocket and laugh out loud reading them. (...and that was just last week!)

Artist was creator of beloved characters such as Minnie the Minx and the Bash Street Kids

https://www.lambiek.net/artists/imag...streetkids.jpg
    Absolutely.

I nearly started a thread myself.

Legendary - as are DC Thomson of Dundee.

https://static5.comicvine.com/upload...treetkids2.jpg

RIP Leo Baxendale

Comment

• johncorrigan
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
      Absolutely.

I nearly started a thread myself.

Legendary - as are DC Thomson of Dundee.

https://static5.comicvine.com/upload...treetkids2.jpg

RIP Leo Baxendale
      Imagine creating Plug, Lat...just genius!...and Minnie the Minx, too!

Comment

• Lat-Literal
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
        Imagine creating Plug, Lat...just genius!...and Minnie the Minx, too!
        http://britishcomicawards.com/wp-con...ticle_illo.jpg
        I love them JC.

Did you see the Bash Street Kids at the end of "Newsnight"?

Wonderful.

I might ask to pay more than the standard rate for next year's TV licence now.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
          • Jun 2014

Ah, such fond memories ...

Tipps Junior's first personally-delivered household periodicals were The Topper (Friday) and The Beezer (Monday?) both 3d, and most kindly fully-funded and donated by Mummy & Daddy. I feel impelled to point out that these were the unchallenged 'broadsheets' of very youthful comic-land at the time.

However, my best friend and schoolmate, Joseph, was rather more 'tabloid'-orientated and took both The Dandy (Tuesday) and The Beano (Thursday), both costing 2d each. We regularly exchanged our reading material and, though I naturally never admitted it to my little friend, my personal favourite was the Beano and couldn't wait to get my grubby little hands on it to gleefully discover the latest bit of hot water in which the mischievous Dennis the Menace had found himself. A veritable hero as far as Tipps the Younger was concerned!

Oh, Happy Days!

Leo Baxendale RIP ...

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
            Ah, such fond memories ...

Tipps Junior's first personally-delivered household periodicals were The Topper (Friday) and The Beezer (Monday?) both 3d, and most kindly fully-funded and donated by Mummy & Daddy. I feel impelled to point out that these were the unchallenged 'broadsheets' of very youthful comic-land at the time.

However, my best friend and schoolmate, Joseph, was rather more 'tabloid'-orientated and took both The Dandy (Tuesday) and The Beano (Thursday), both costing 2d each. We regularly exchanged our reading material and, though I naturally never admitted it to my little friend, my personal favourite was the Beano and couldn't wait to get my grubby little hands on it to gleefully discover the latest bit of hot water in which the mischievous Dennis the Menace had found himself. A veritable hero as far as Tipps the Younger was concerned!

Oh, Happy Days!

Leo Baxendale RIP ...
            My first comic was Teddy Bear, then The Beano. Often, I’d read The Dandy, but I don’t know where it came from - my brother, sister and I never bought it.

Later, I sometimes got The Topper, Whizzer and Chips and Beezer. Beano was best and I stopped getting when I was about 14!!

The annuals were good too.

Bash Street Kids were my favourites. Biffo the Bear irritated me for some reason. Dennis the Menace was my second favourite.

The Numskulls were good, but I can’t remember which comic they were from - one of the bigger sized ones, IIRC.

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

Beano was my comic, my brother had Dandy while from neighbours down the road we took in Beezer and Topper. I still have a Christmas 1966 copy of the Beano. Biffothe Bear used to irritate me as well because even my young brain knew that a bear wouldn't act like a human being. Desparate Dan in Dandy was another irritant.

By far the funniest comic was Sparky which my second youngest brother had and which I used to read to him on Saturday mornings. I used to love the humour of Puss and Boots they fight like cat and dog which had me rocking with laughter while trying to read it aloud to my brother. I don't think it came out until around 1967 by which time I was 13 and some of the younger ones here might remember it.

I never really gave much thought to those who created these gems so belated thanks to Leo Baxendale and others.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

As an ex-teacher, I love The Bash Street Kids. It may be totally unrealistic, but it's also very perceptive and extremely funny.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Re Biffo the Bear, I lost interest when he lost the ability to talk.

Lord Snooty was good too.

And Little Plum.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

Had totally forgotten about Sparky! Wasn’t my cup of tea, though.

Agree about Lord Snooty and Little Plum, two favourites.

Some poor kid in my year really looked like Plug and that became his name for years (mostly behind his back - he was as hard as a coffin nail!).

Smiffy had me in stitches.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Great stuff.
                      Like everybody, I loved the Bash Street Kids, and quite a few others.
                      Billy Whizz was a favourite of mine.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

Oops! I forgot!

RIP Leo Baxendale Thanks for all the things we’re talking about on this thread.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

Comment

Working...
                          X