X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lat-Literal
    • Aug 2015

That Peter Crouch Podcast etc

Huth was mentioned in the first episode of BBC's "That People Crouch Podcast". I have now listened to a few of them and while there is definitely an element of the obnoxious they are surprisingly amusing and informative in places. They are also warm in a way because of his openness as a character. This has been my first venture into the podcast phenomenon, much against my better nature. My second was LBC's "The Nick Abbot Habit" which - and I don't know if I am surprised - I didn't especially enjoy.

Looking at BBC Sounds in the round, what I am seeing is something of a grey area between podcasts and radio programmes/programme features. At times, podcasts are simply another way of catching up on what was on the radio. I'm not sure if this means the BBC is buying into it all on the cheap. Mostly it is football. Overwhelmingly it is football. And sometimes it is just absent. I couldn't even find the podcast extension of Jo Good's regular hour about dogs on BBC Radio London entitled "The Barking Hour".

Susanna Dinnage - and the FA

The mouthpiece that is Simon Jordan who went to school just up the road from me before becoming a multi millionaire - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Jordan - was given the best part of half an hour on Talksport this morning to give his thoughts on Susanna Dinnage deciding not to becoming Chief Executive of the FA after all. This is something of a public relations embarrassment for the FA - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46718143 - at least until they have found someone suitable.

A few weird pronunciations - in-NOV-ative etc - and some oblique structure of business references aside, this turned out to be well informed and educational. One point is that the person who does accept the role will have among many issues to tackle the objective of ending the era of football being merely an SME. Yes, you did hear that right. There is apparently nowhere near enough money in the game. An example is Man Utd's £800m which pales into insignificance compared with say IMEX/films.

Premier League Television etc

Premier League Television to be promoted across and throughout the globe would be along Netflix lines and such would be the number of subscription fees that the salaries of players will substantially increase in an almost limitless way. Personally, I find that frightening. The line is once it has been achieved - and the road to that is not necessarily easy - the cost of tickets into grounds could be lower for domestic supporters. But the plain fact is that they will be like gold dust in terms of any availability.
    Last edited by Lat-Literal; 31-12-18, 21:54.

Comment

• antongould
      • Nov 2010

Hangers 2 The Heed 1
      Solid Derby win ......

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

New man in at Sheffield Wednesday.
        Pretty good appointment I should think.

And talking of the Championship, good to see Nigel Adkins on a roll at Hull.
        Saints legend !!
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          Pretty good appointment I should think .....
          People from Corbridge are usually most excellent .....

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

The Toon and The Seagulls both drew yesterday.

The Toon just can’t quite seem to grasp it with The Premier League.
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Important away win for Palace at Wolves, recent conquerors of Spurs, putting a few precious points between us and the relegation dogfight. If not an inspiring match, it felt like a kind of turning point with Jordan Ayew, much derided by Palace faithful, finally scoring his first goal since arriving from Swansea.

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                Important away win for Palace at Wolves, recent conquerors of Spurs, putting a few precious points between us and the relegation dogfight. If not an inspiring match, it felt like a kind of turning point with Jordan Ayew, much derided by Palace faithful, finally scoring his first goal since arriving from Swansea.
                Palace will be fine barring an injury crisis. There are several clearly worse teams, and Roy is a good man in this sort of situation.

Ralph’s ratation policy, and the brave decision to try to target a point at Chelsea rather than at home to City paid dividends, and the fans are well chuffed , despite dropping into the bottom 3. The draw looked very well deserved.
                Points against United, Arsenal and Chelsea, and a clean sheet last night give plenty of grounds for optimism at this stage.
                Ralph is hoping to tweak the squad during the window.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• zola
                  • May 2011

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                  ???? Newcastle 0 Man Utd 2 I thought ?

Comment

• johncorrigan
                    • Nov 2010

Ralph is hoping to tweak the squad during the window.
                    Bet the lads'll enjoy that, saint!

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                      Bet the lads'll enjoy that, saint!
                      We are very open to modern techniques down here JC, as I’m sure they are in Paisley.

Anyway, massive game at the top of the PL tonight.........should be a cracker. Looking forward to it.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Pretty good appointment I should think.

And talking of the Championship, good to see Nigel Adkins on a roll at Hull.
                        Saints legend !!
                        I hope the top one of your comments will end the second - Owls v Hull next up in championship. Should make the rest of the season more satisfactory but maybe too late for any promotion hopes but biased optimism always has too take precedence over realism in a fan’s armoury -we’ll see!

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                          Hangers 2 The Heed 1
                          Solid Derby win ......
                          Steady now anton!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Ah well I suppose it wouldn’t last MrsBBM is quite philosophical about it. At least it was Man City. 2-1
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post

The Toon just can’t quite seem to grasp it with The Premier League.
                              Not quite in my paper

Toon 0 Jose’s Reserves 2

But we will buy every diamond in the Window .......

Comment

• Stanfordian
                                • Dec 2010

Man City was greatly helped by referee last night against Liverpool. I can't believe how Fernandinho gets away with his consistent fouling.

Most of the City team have stopping the opposition off to a fine art - they tend not to whack or leg up the opposition they run into the back or side of them.

Comment

Working...
                                X