X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    Thought I’d do a round up of the main forum teams , just because.

St Johnstone 2 St Mirren 0. ☹
    Ochone, Ochone, sainty! Sunderland won again, too!
    Wick academy 6 Fort Williamnil.
    Good joke, ts!
    Long journey, in their defence!

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Football rivalry aside today, I think aside, for the owner of Leicester City.
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
        Football rivalry aside today, I think aside, for the owner of Leicester City.
        Yes indeed, BBM. I heard a report on Broadcasting House this morning from a BBC Radio Leicester commentator who gave a very heart felt tribute to Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha as a humble and generous man, well loved by people of all communities in and around the City whether connected to the Club or not.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
          • Aug 2015

I second BBM and JC.

We haven't as yet heard from Alison and I have been waiting for more news but it has been coming in slowly. Being old school on football, I wish they had never moved from Filbert Street. I'm also aware that the wealthy backing of Mr Srivaddhanaprabha is something that, say, an Ipswich fan could merely dream of while simultaneously regretting that football has come to this. But, be in no doubt. What he did for Leicester and as a consequence for football in the modern day was very, very special. It lifted it out of the algorithmic grids of what was possible and said as history had said once again, if briefly, that anything was possible. That was unbelievably great for local support. At times, I would have liked it to have been recognised there of how more broadly that really mattered for the game but football tribalism is tribalism. It stands alongside the magic of it all so that it is always a complex mix.

What is patently obvious is that this, unusually, was a wealthy man who was personally likeable. Turning to Newcastle, the Mike Ashleys of this world couldn't genuinely claim to be in the same league. I find it hard personally to pick Midlands' teams in which I can be interested. There's a bit of Villa, Wolves, maybe West Brom in me for various reasons. I know what I don't like. Mainly, actually, I'm for Cov historically but again I don't like the idea of the new ground. If you want to put them into the same region, Forest. But Leicester has in recent years had to be there or thereabouts. My thoughts are with the supporters today. It's horrid. And as an Arsenal fan who has been very critical of Glenn, I do wish him a speedy recovery.

(I don't like Birmingham City and was always lukewarm on Brom but that arty programme on Brom last year was so good that it is only Brum now I can't stomach; I used to like Derby but can't stand Lampard so that's gone; as for Notts County all I can see in their favour is that they are the oldest team : Cov fans who have a bumptious "charm" told me it is a dump)

Last edited by Lat-Literal; 28-10-18, 21:51.

Comment

• zola
            • May 2011

Events at Leicester ( for which all condolences ) bring back painful memories of Matthew Harding. Tribalism can sometimes be overcome. The first game after Matthew's crash was at the Bridge against Spurs of all teams and behaviour from everyone was impeccable. And of course the Matthew Harding era coincided with Hoddle as Chelsea manager, so a strange day all round yesterday.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
              • Aug 2015

It's been a really interesting journey in middle age for me, this, which is probably no more than to keep the old brain active and to find somewhat egotistically things in life meaningful. Nevertheless, I have met more people along the way than I could have guessed who have no team but also like football. Everyone to his own but I just don't get that; there's one who lives opposite to me and he has Sky Sports with no affiliation. I find that plain weird. I've been just the two - Arsenal and York - but I've become aware that there were always likes and dislikes. I've dug into the family history now. I could have easily been Newcastle or Ipswich or Charlton so I've gone much softer on those. Keen. Plus Exeter. My return to football after 12 years. Like York once was was and as it has the same sort of vibe for me, I'm very, very keen on that one. The ones without personal associations hitherto - and it might be that I can make them a part of something of my journey in time : that's more difficult but I do have directional points, some unexpected and only time will tell - I can't predict it. For example, I really can't choose between the Liverpool clubs. However, I have now made my choice on Bristol, Sorry, French Frank, City sound and look prettier - and I know Rovers' fans are a right royal pain in the a--e - - but if I walk back in to that great city of yours - which I hardly know - I'm supporting "The Gas". They have much more of a story and I feel sad for them.

Last edited by Lat-Literal; 28-10-18, 22:30.

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Last night
                Wrexham 1 Hangers 0 we tried playing with 10 men and that didn't work either ........ Soon it will be back to checking each match how many points above the exit zone we are .........

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

I’m really doing this, because it would be good to have Rob back on the forum.

Comment

• antongould
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                    It would be very, very good to have him back .........

Comment

• antongould
                      • Nov 2010

Bromley 4 Hangers 0 - tried to play with 10 men again plus giving away 2 penalties ..... didn’t seem to work .....
                      Toon 1 Watford 0 - scrambled a win and Rafa broke the world record for the number of times “three points” is said in an interview ..... !!!!!

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Comment

• antongould
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                          Hard to take cloughers

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Excellent contest at Molineux tonight , Wolves rather unlucky not to get something from an end to end affair.
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

Excellent contest at Molineux tonight , Wolves rather unlucky not to get something from an end to end affair.
                              That chimes with our thoughts here, ts!

Comment

• Alison
                                • Nov 2010

Thanks and well done all for the stirring support for Leicester after the tragic event a week ago.

Seemed a very dignified occasion at Cardiff today before and after the match.

Comment

Working...
                                X