• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    Like that Alison.

Simce Sky can’t be bothered to cover the european super money cup, I’ve neen watching some Championship football on the SKy red button, where you get the whole game, one camera angle no replays.
    Tonight , Bristol City drawing 0-0 at Rotherham, a game which barely had a chance of any note, at least the large sections I saw. Should have opted for Owls, V WBA, with its “ bit of a shocker “ ending for our Board S Yorkshire team . Bad luck Cloughie.
    Yes shame to lose lead in the last few minutes but had been offered a point at 7.30 then would have taken it. The Championship tophalf is close and points from Leeds and WBA are ticking the points over - after our transfer embargo we are bringing on a number of young players - we are building - could end up getting nowhere this season but optimistically we could be top six.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      Yes shame to lose lead in the last few minutes but had been offered a point at 7.30 then would have taken it. The Championship tophalf is close and points from Leeds and WBA are ticking the points over - after our transfer embargo we are bringing on a number of young players - we are building - could end up getting nowhere this season but optimistically we could be top six.
      I think that equaliser dropped you about ten places.
      Still, as you say, better signs for your lot at this early stage. I watched WBA against Bristol City last week. Worth betting on high scoring games with WBA, they have a good attack and a porous defence.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

Hangers 2 Dumbarton Oaks 0 ..... for the good times as perry would say ...
        Man U 3 Toon 2 .... and we saved Jose ....

Comment

• Lat-Literal
          • Aug 2015

I will skip the news from Old Trafford. From what I was hearing of Coventry fans on the train back into London, Jose was supposed to be on his way out. Charlton. I got there. They lost. This in more than one way was a game of two halves. First, following a reminder to self that I really don't like travelling up on the old work line for anything, football included, and another train line which suggested that Charlton is a third of the way to Dover, I have to say that I found it very, very friendly there. A good half hour chat with a 58 year old DJ in the Royal Oak where we went everywhere from Robert Plant and Van Morrison to Motown. Two older guys who were excellent on weather matters, with stiff upper lipped but comically jaundiced approaches to their team. The woman who sat next to me, not young, a season holder because she is a "glutton for punishment". All of this was quite unusual. Within reason, I usually approach them. All these approached me. Perhaps I just happen to have a London look about me, especially in torrential rain at its most "atmospheric".

If the team are not getting their act together, other than with the pink in their hair, the view from the North stand is excellent. In the corner, a replica of my grandmother's tower block. The rest is all trees. I liked the contrast - and also the accents. But half time was a nightmare. Of the four grounds I have been to this year. it must say something when it was Exeter that was the best organised on tea and pasties. This was the worst. The ground also had the heaviest police presence. Afterwards, one waits in the middle of away supporters for three quarters of an hour to get onto a platform. Then the carriage, packed to the rafters, is two thirds them and one third law enforcers. I could go to Charlton regularly but only if I lived very close to Charlton. To really support Charlton and have to get a train would be to encounter the same scenario every time as not many away supporters hail from Kent. I didn't mind the result too much. My friend Nigel would have been pleased had he not died at 40 of a brain tumour - and his team's fans are very lively. They did him proud.

God Watch Over You - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxvnoAR_AcA

Last edited by Lat-Literal; 06-10-18, 23:20.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
            According to stats that I was looking at, it's not even the biggest city in Yorkshire, Eine, (Sheffield apparently) unless you join it with Bradford which takes it 4th behind that there London, Brum, and Madchester.
            We've been here before. We're talking about cities - the City of London has a population of under 10,000. Greater London isn't a city at all - just a collection of local councils. Sheffield was once bigger than Leeds, but that was over 40 years ago.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
              Hangers 2 Dumbarton Oaks 0 ..... for the good times as perry would say ...
              Man U 3 Toon 2 .... and we saved Jose ....
              It was Kris who coined in not Perry.. but I like the sentiment - Love Affair had a similarly themed song - but really Zoot Money should be their aim - Big Time Operators back in the league!
              ...and probably did not do a lot for Rafa?

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                We've been here before. We're talking about cities - the City of London has a population of under 10,000. Greater London isn't a city at all - just a collection of local councils. Sheffield was once bigger than Leeds, but that was over 40 years ago.
                I’ll settle for Sheffield being bigger than Bristol tomorrow!

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                  • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                  Eine - this is wonderfully typical of your outlook which includes firm views on what is and isn't Eastern Europe.

I'm not going to argue it. From what I have seen so far in 2018, football is less regional than about localities. I think we can extend this to socio-economic groups. While legions in the US, Africa and the Far East are sporting shirts of the Big 6, I would be a little worried if I were a businessmen focussed on attendance. If you take out the bald headed, the grey haired, the women with a long term determined angle, the disabled, the overweight and the young lads and girls who are looking for a home temporarily, there is not a sound base from which to grow the product fashionably at ground level. I've been surprised. While more diverse, it is very old England now and lovelier for it. But if it were radio, execs would be worrying their heads about how and where the next generations will be coming from. When this is understood, no doubt in time desperately, we'll have Beyoncé fronting the RPO at every "venue".

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                    Like that Alison.

Simce Sky can’t be bothered to cover the european super money cup, I’ve neen watching some Championship football on the SKy red button, where you get the whole game, one camera angle no replays.
                    Tonight , Bristol City drawing 0-0 at Rotherham, a game which barely had a chance of any note, at least the large sections I saw. Should have opted for Owls, V WBA, with its “ bit of a shocker “ ending for our Board S Yorkshire team . Bad luck Cloughie.
                    Teamsaint, I was saying tonight to a pal who is trying to work out what is going on that I am definitely not about to work towards being a part of the 92 club. Smashing though Swindon and Doncaster etc no doubt are, I have no reason to head towards such sporting hot spots. However, I will latch what I can do onto other things - current interests, past associations. We discussed favourite walks out of Lulworth and how Bournemouth or even Yeovil could be combined. I will always be Arsenal and York, I said, as such things can't be changed. But everyone I know understands that I had a problem with one stadium move - not square enough - and the current lead into the other - out of town. Anyhow, I have a list. I have a little list. Southampton is, actually, on it and it is by far my biggest dilemma. So many friends across the years who were Saints. I'd really like to go. I could go there with a Lulworth rather than to Bournemouth. But it is another blessed bowl now and presumably very enclosed. So can you sell the ground to me so that I can match it up with my personal associations?

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

I'm fed up with Saturdays!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                        Eine - this is wonderfully typical of your outlook which includes firm views on what is and isn't Eastern Europe.
                        UK cities

Birmingham 1,101,360
                        Leeds 715,404
                        Glasgow 598,830
                        Sheffield 575,400
                        Manchester 530,300
                        Bradford 528,155
                        Edinburgh 495,360
                        Liverpool 465,700
                        Bristol 428,100
                        Cardiff 341,000
                        Belfast 333,800
                        Leicester 329,839
                        Nottingham 321,500
                        Coventry 316,900
                        Newcastle upon Tyne 289,800
                        Sunderland 275,300
                        Brighton & Hove 273,369
                        Plymouth 264,200
                        Kingston upon Hull 260,200
                        Stoke-on-Trent 253,200
                        Wolverhampton 249,470
                        Derby 248,752
                        Swansea 244,500
                        Southampton 236,900
                        Salford 233,933
                        Westminster 226,841
                        York 208,400
                        Portsmouth 205,400
                        Aberdeen 196,670
                        Peterborough 183,631
                        Chelmsford 168,310
                        Oxford 161,300
                        Dundee 148,270
                        Newport 145,700
                        Norwich 132,512
                        Exeter 127,300
                        Cambridge 123,900
                        Gloucester 123,400
                        Winchester 116,600
                        Preston 114,300
                        Worcester 101,328
                        Lincoln 97,541
                        Bath 88,859
                        Derry 83,652
                        Wakefield 77,512
                        Chester 77,040
                        Carlisle 71,773
                        Lisburn 71,465
                        Durham 65,549
                        St Albans 57,795
                        Hereford 55,800
                        Perth 47,1 80
                        Inverness 46,870
                        Lancaster 45,952
                        Canterbury 43,432
                        Salisbury 40,302
                        Stirling 36,440
                        Lichfield 32,219
                        Newry 27,433
                        Chichester 26,795
                        Ely 20,256
                        Truro 18,766
                        Bangor 18,808
                        Ripon 16,702
                        Armagh 14,749
                        Wells 10,536
                        London 9,401
                        St Asaph 3,355
                        St David's 1,841

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Well, if you really want to make playing againts a side like Chelsea even more difficult than it already is, one way to do it is to miss easy chances, and leave the centre forward unmarked at a free kick. Oh, and give away soft posession just after finally waking up and getting into the game.

I still think there is a half decent team to be had out of our squad, but until , in particular, they cut out the worst of the defensive errors, regular defeats are the only likely outcome.

We sold our tickets for the game today, and spent some of the money on tickets for Watford. Hopefully more of a contest of something like equals.

Good to see Barkely playing well though,he is a pleasure to watch at his best, and must surely be of use to England.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Great result for the Owls at Ashton Gate. The only down side of being sixth is that the Blades and Leeds are above us but we’re we are and it will do for now!

Comment

• Alison
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                              I'm fed up with Saturdays!
                              What the heck is going on? Liked it when you were winning ....

Not recovered after Stubbsy?
                              Last edited by Alison; 07-10-18, 22:49.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                                What the heck is going on? Liked it when you were winning ....

Not recovered after Stubbsy?
                                Premier division splitting into two leagues Alison - Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Celtic, Rangers, Livingstone and Killie...then a gap to Motherwell, Dundee, Hamilton, Saints and the pretend Saints. We got thumped 3-0 by Hamilton a couple of weeks back who got totalled 6-0 by Hibs yesterday. I mean we were beaten by half-time v the Dons yesterday. Just need to re-group, I suppose. I preferred it when we were winning...I preferred when you were winning too. Made me quite happy when Mahrez blazed that Pen over the bar today to be honest.

Comment

Working...
                                X