X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zola
    • May 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    It's happened again. What do club owners do with parachute payments. I can understand why way back Wednesday, Barnsley, Bradford City, Southampton, Norwich, Leicester, Forest, Leeds and Charlton all ran out of money and luck bridging the financial gap between the Prem and the second tier - all dropping to Div One or even Div Two. However in recent years with bigger handouts to avoid it, the drop has happened to Blackpool, Wolves, Wigan, Bolton and now Blackburn (and Wigan again). Meanwhile the sleeping giants trying to recover are repeatedly outbidded for the cream of Championship players, for fear of breaking the fairplay rules. Tell me what's fair about over-compensated failures from the top flight given the advantage over genuinely aspiring clubs. Yes I dearly want Wednesday to win the play-offs, and have a well assembled squad to hopefully achieve it, but to do it they will have to beat either Fulham or Reading, both clubs which have squads financed partially by parachute payments. OK we are fortunate now have an owner who backs his belief in us with a bit of brass, but we were on the edge of administration and Div Two, with two stints in Div One before becoming once again a serious contender for the big time. Another reason why I want the Owls to do it this time is that there will be three more parachute beneficiaries, possibly of which two are quick returners, dropping into the Championship paying players over the odds and inflating transfer fees. There's the real world and there's the Premier League.
    But there have always been yo yo clubs ( king of them in the 1950s being Wednesday ) Interesting little article and stats from wiki.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

and this should help further......

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by zola View Post
        But there have always been yo yo clubs ( king of them in the 1950s being Wednesday ) Interesting little article and stats from wiki.
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yo-yo_club
        Yes there have always been yo yo clubs Wednesday, United, Leeds, Liverpool, Chelsea, West ham, Man City, Leicester have all featured over my lifetime. It just seems that these days there are different strings and string pullers!

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
          No apologies required ... David's appreciation of a truly historic demonstration of the finer points of The Beautiful Game in 1971 was way ahead of his peers south of the border ...

https://vimeo.com/7127541
          Brilliant, PGT. Jimmy Bone...Legend!

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
            • Jun 2014

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
            Brilliant, PGT. Jimmy Bone...Legend!
            Ah, the good old days, jc ... ?

Here is Jimmy himself proudly holding the Anglo-Scottish Cup for yet another famous Scottish club ..

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

The Toon won the Division. Brighton second but I am still happy about both. Seems strange to me having both my teams in this situation.
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

No apologies required ... David's appreciation of a truly historic demonstration of the finer points of The Beautiful Game in 1971 was way ahead of his peers south of the border ...

https://vimeo.com/7127541
                Thanks Scotty, really enjoyed that.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• antongould
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                  ....Tough luck Anton....every chance always that the piece of elastic will spring back....

Cheers eightho ..... I am very seriously worried about the strength of our elastic ........

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                    Cheers eightho ..... I am very seriously worried about the strength of our elastic ........
                    If it's 96 years it will be well into the twangty second century.

Comment

• antongould
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      If it's 96 years it will be well into the twangty second century.

Indeed .....

Comment

• johncorrigan
                        • Nov 2010

Ah, the good old days, jc ... ?

Here is Jimmy himself proudly holding the Anglo-Scottish Cup for yet another famous Scottish club ..
                        Joy...and the legend was our assistant Manager in 1987, PGT.

Last edited by johncorrigan; 08-05-17, 23:00.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                          The Toon won the Division. Brighton second but I am still happy about both. Seems strange to me having both my teams in this situation.
                          That's like York City and Arsenal stretched geographically on elastic but alphabetically and in terms of numerical division I feel my two have the edge.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                            That's like York City and Arsenal stretched geographically on elastic but alphabetically and in terms of numerical division I feel my two have the edge.
                            Speaking of edge, York will be involved in a forum derby next season with Stockport!

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

ER's on his hols, lucky devil, so it's down to me to keep things rolling.

Just the one game tonight, I think for the board:
                              Chelsea 3 Middlesbrough 0.

The blues are almost there, after what has been a very dull fight for the title this year, due to the ineptitude of, well, certain other board teams.
                              84 points from 35 games is a fine performance though.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

Here's to next season!
                                Don’t cry for me
                                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X