• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

Sunday supplement

League

Burnley 0 Manchester United 2 Both goals in the 1st half,closing in on a top 4 place with the derby to come this week
    Liverpool 1 Crystal Palace 2 Forum derby,Reds took the lead but Eagles came back with a goal in each half,Reds remain 3rd but the Mcr clubs are close behind with games in hand,Eagles another terrific away day,7 points clear of the drop zone

FA Cup semi final

Arsenal 2 unmentionables 1 Forum derby,citeh took the lead on 62 mins and had a goal wrongly disallowed but the Gunners were level 9 mins later then won it in extra time

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
      Totally Robbed! Referee needs to take a good hard look at himself.

Anyway elsewhere the bottom League Two team enters into a play-off against the winner of a play-off between the winners of the Highland and Lowland Leagues. If the Highland or Lowland team wins the final, they are promoted to League Two, with the team finishing 10th being relegated to either the Highland or Lowland league. At present, I believe Buckie Thistle from the Moray Coast are Champions of the Highland League and will play off against East Kilbride from the Lowland League, home and away, for the right to play Cowdenbeath, Clyde or Berwick from League 2(still a couple of games to go there) for the place in the League 2. The Million pound game it ain't. Cowdenbeath are bottom at the moment. Clyde signed on David Goodwillie who has a rape claim against him and he has been scoring goals for fun in this league and looks like taking them to safety...much coverage in the press as you'd imagine.
      Thanks John,I got that bit.
      I was wondering more about the bottom of the Highland and Lowland Leagues and whether or not there is relegation from them but I don't think there is.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        The Tessitura of Football Fans

I watched both FA Cup semi-finals this weekend, and took note of the massive numbers of second tenors among supporters.

Yesterday, Tottenham supporters were singing When the Saints Go Marching In in the key of B major, comfortably achieving high F sharps again and again. Furthermore, there was no drop in pitch at any stage of the match.

Today, as Manchester City lost to Arsenal (having had a perfectly good goal disallowed) the singing was again in B major.

My point is this. Were one to suggest to any one of these supporters that they could sing in a choir, it would seem likely that a negative response would be received, perhaps with the excuse "I'm tone deaf".

These fans are very far from the mythological "tone deaf".
        At last there is a reason in football to sing.

B Major singing perhaps but an A Plus result.

When I was in choirs and the choirmaster accused someone of being out of tune, I used to worry that it was me. However, in football grounds there was a need to adjust to the supporters' ways of singing. I am not totally sure about key but it has its own tone - monotonous with deliberate elements of archness so adjusting was relatively easy for me.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
          Liverpool 1 Crystal Palace 2 Forum derby,Reds took the lead but Eagles came back with a goal in each half,Reds remain 3rd but the Mcr clubs are close behind with games in hand,Eagles another terrific away day,7 points clear of the drop zone
          In reality 7 points + 1 with our far better goal difference. Great commitment from the Eagles but we were nervous till the end with our Premier status still at stake, especially with 6 minutes injury time, but Liverpool never really threatened and were reduced to hacking our players down in frustration. The foul on Tomkins right at the end could have garnered red rather than yellow

. We are turning into a bogey team for them - I heard the Palace fans rubbing this in with a chant of: "Three nil and you f**ed it up!" Scary to ponder that if we had not beaten but lost to Arse, Blues and Scousers we would be in the relegation zone below Swansea.
          Last edited by gurnemanz; 23-04-17, 20:37.

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

Thanks John,I got that bit.
            I was wondering more about the bottom of the Highland and Lowland Leagues and whether or not there is relegation from them but I don't think there is.
            I think the Highlanders just go off and play shinty, Rob.

Comment

• Alison
              • Nov 2010

Jonesy gone.

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                Jonesy gone.
                Only cloughers can save us ... he knows our fixtures .....

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Chelsea were so lucky. Spurs bossed the game, played better football, scored better goals (yes I saw Matic’s screamer). Ok, so I watched it around a mate’s house with 6 other Spurs supporters with a huge bucket of jellied eels, pints of whelks, cockles and muscles all washed down with limitless Pepsi (honestly!), but I’m being entirely objective.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

Sunday supplement

League

Burnley 0 Manchester United 2 Both goals in the 1st half,closing in on a top 4 place with the derby to come this week

FA Cup semi final

Arsenal 2 unmentionables 1 Forum derby,citeh took the lead on 62 mins and had a goal wrongly disallowed but the Gunners were level 9 mins later then won it in extra time
                    With an highly efficient performance against Burnley the Red Devils continue to climb upwards. With Ibrahimović out for the season I'm confident speed merchants Rashford, Martial, Lingard and Mkhitaryan will cause even more trouble for opposition defences.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Thursday's Manchester derby could be a key match in deciding who goes into the Champions' League.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                        Thursday's Manchester derby could be a key match in deciding who goes into the Champions' League.
                        You are spot on! I wouldn’t be surprised if either team won.
                        Last edited by Stanfordian; 24-04-17, 21:10.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Jonesy gone.
                          I said it wouldn't work - he's not enough of a cajoler!

Comment

• Alison
                            • Nov 2010

Poor Jonesy. Assume that's career over.

Cloughers - how do you mean, not enough of a cajoler?!

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Poor Jonesy. Assume that's career over.

Cloughers - how do you mean, not enough of a cajoler?!
                              I may be wrong but he does come across as a manager who is more likely to write off a player rather than to encourage them to kick above their weight. At Wednesday Terry Burton had this role under him in the promotion from Div 1 and later Stuart Gray. Maybe he had noone who did this role at Hartlepool.
                              Last edited by cloughie; 24-04-17, 22:53. Reason: Deleting a not!

Comment

• Alison
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                I may be wrong but he does not come across as a manager who is more likely to write off a player rather than to encourage them to kick above their weight. At Wednesday Terry Burton had this role under him in the promotion from Div 1 and later Stuart Gray. Maybe he had noone who did this role at Hartlepool.

Comment

Working...
                                X