X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Here comes Grealish.... carrying a "degree of expectation" (!)... but what a game we have here now!

Foden not too happy to come off! Surprised me as well...
    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 18-06-21, 21:25.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Simply APPALLING game. Dull, dull, dull. England not a clue, utterly without strategy, system or willingness to chance. Kane must have been so glad to be taken off.
      Scotland had more drive, keenness and dynamism and missed chances.

What an anti-climax.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
        Banned
        • Jul 2011

Well, that sets up a very interesting Tuesday night, doesn't it?

But well done Scotland, who showed fierce commitment, teamwork and not a little skill. England seemed to lose shape and purpose just before the interval and never quite got it back....
        I wouldn't read too much into this yet, as group games in tournaments can often be tough, disjointed, even scrappy affairs. Not exactly encouraging though, especially as it still seems difficult to conceive of our best line-up(s), even allowing for a 13- or 15-player game....

Ian Wright scathing about the Foden substitution.... I can only agree...

Comment

• Edgy 2
          • Jan 2019

Maybe you're right Jayne, the plan is to not win the group
          “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• eighthobstruction
            • Nov 2010

....yep Sterling has had his one good game per tournament (and it wasn't this one)....fannying about, marking no-one, slowing game, ,trying to beat the same man 3 times then passing backwards....blaa blaa blaa....
            bong ching

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
              ....yep Sterling has had his one good game per tournament (and it wasn't this one)....fannying about, marking no-one, slowing game, ,trying to beat the same man 3 times then passing backwards....blaa blaa blaa....
              He can win you a game , but so can some others who get a bit part role. I think we need to use him more creatively.

Grealish came on into a battle , and looked our best hope, but we left him with too big a job to do.
              In truth , I don’t see enough individual class ,to take us all the way. But we should make it through, Kane may find some form, and Southgate may make some brave decisions later on. Possibly.

I would defer to Wrighty about Foden usually, but not really sure why he particularly deserved to stay on.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                • Nov 2010

MacTominay immense for the Scots, as was Andrew Robertson...we need to score some goals. Great game of footie for a 0-0!

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                  MacTominay immense for the Scots, as was Andrew Robertson...we need to score some goals. Great game of footie!
                  Could have gone either way, JC. Great performance from Scotland, and Che needed a calmer moment when his chance came. But he certainly adds to your options.
                  Looks like he has learned the words to Flower of Scotland.......
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                    He can win you a game , but so can some others who get a bit part role. I think we need to use him more creatively.

Grealish came on into a battle , and looked our best hope, but we left him with too big a job to do.
                    In truth , I don’t see enough individual class ,to take us all the way. But we should make it through, Kane may find some form, and Southgate may make some brave decisions later on. Possibly.

I would defer to Wrighty about Foden usually, but not really sure why he particularly deserved to stay on.
                    Oh yeah....seems to be a penchant for not crossing conventionally, but short stabs and slashes at ground level across the box hoping for a ricochet....

....well done Billy Gilmour and rest of mid field (Dean Smith must be wincing everytime McGee gets ball, he'll be lucky to get through tournament without hamstring problems....I wished Ollie Watkins was in the squad [even more so now]....Sterling runs and runs, gives his all but ineffectively I'm afraid....he isn't particularly creative I think....
                    ANYWAY 22+ players gave their all ....
                    bong ching

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                      Simply APPALLING game. Dull, dull, dull. England not a clue, utterly without strategy, system or willingness to chance. Kane must have been so glad to be taken off.
                      Scotland had more drive, keenness and dynamism and missed chances.

What an anti-climax.
                      That didn't stop BBC1 devoting just over a third of the 10 O'Clock News to a match in which no goals were scored and nothing was decided. Our local news also featured countless shots of people sitting watching the match - but there was a distinct absence of jumping up and down and cheering. My sincere thanks to the inventor of the mute button!

Comment

• Edgy 2
                        • Jan 2019

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                        Citeh fans I know say he rarely performs well in big games
                        “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• johncorrigan
                          • Nov 2010

Sainty, you may be interested to hear that my son arrived today with his pal who lives in Wales, though born in England. She was all with us for the game tonight until she found that two of the Scots played for Southampton. Turns out she was born in Portsmouth - with fifteen minutes to go she switched allegiance saying that she could not support anything related to Scumhampton...personally speaking, I was shocked!

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                            Sainty, you may be interested to hear that my son arrived today with his pal who lives in Wales, though born in England. She was all with us for the game tonight until she found that two of the Scots played for Southampton. Turns out she was born in Portsmouth - with fifteen minutes to go she switched allegiance saying that she could not support anything related to Scumhampton...personally speaking, I was shocked!
                            Although some folks regard it as 'bad form' to support more than one team, I still retain a degree of interest in Southampton's fortunes, as I attended matches at The Dell whenever possible during the years in which I worked, and then studied, in Southampton.

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

You were doing ok until the mention of Kane finding form - I don't think so, and I don't see him as having any talismanic value - and then the idea that Southgate might make brave decisions. Benching Kane and Sterling would be a start, and I don't see him doing either.

Comment

• Alison
                                • Nov 2010

Really hope Scotland qualify. Very poor England.

Comment

Working...
                                X