X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
    I drew Colombia in the Alyth Primary School sweep today, which gave me extra incentive to go and listen to a spot of Cumbia, cloughie!
    Just stay off the coke, JC! May our sweep teams prosper. Is Kirsty MacColl’s song predicting the final score?

Comment

• Lat-Literal
      • Aug 2015

Ah yes, Lat. The wonder that is Suarez was the making of Sturridge that season! Apart from Henrik Larsson when he played with Celtic, Suarez was the finest non-UK player that I saw play in Britain. Geniuses!
      I think Suarez and Sturridge scored 52 goals in that season? Something along those lines. I'm not a fan of Danny Baker but that television thing he did before the last competition was re-run somewhere last night and has some amazing moments. Alf's answer to whether he would promote cheating - probably no with lengthy references to tiddlywinks and draughts, delivered in a weirdly poshed up Dagenham accent. And the promotion of Sheffield in 1966 from a bombed out crater was something else. I see Tim Vickery thinks that if Brazil are favourites, Uruguay are ahead of Argentina because of the latter's questionable defence. I'm still going for Argentina, France and Germany in that order but Uruguay could surprise.

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
      The Brazil team look very good especially going forward but I don't know much about its defenders. However, in qualifying it scored 41 goals conceding only 11 so the defence must be secure.

I've just looked at the World Cup Odds for Outright Winner Betting. Brazil are now 4/1 with most bookies. Bet Victor has them as low as 7/2.
      That's apt - I just think it isn't going to be that obvious.

But I could easily be wrong.

WHEN Brazilian goalkeeper Julio Cesar retired, amid all the interviews, he was wise enough to preview the headlines which one day will announce his death... “Keeper from the 7-1 defeat passes away”.

(Favourite world cup pundit - Tim Vickery. Least favourite world cut pundit - Glenn Hoddle)

England 2 Colombia 0 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZPRv3L3cc4
      Last edited by Lat-Literal; 13-06-18, 23:06.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        Just stay off the coke, JC! May our sweep teams prosper. Is Kirsty MacColl’s song predicting the final score?
        Are you suggesting that somebody was thinking of medellin with his drinks?

Comment

• Lat-Literal
          • Aug 2015

Opening ceremony:

Am not sure that these things tug at the emotional heart strings like they used to. Still, a good clear sound for Mr Williams who has not quite turned into his Dad plus colleague. Angels was chosen as it is Yeltsin era, of course. Am especially loving the mascot. Mostly, I hope that this tournament is a tremendous success for President Putin - and the world community.

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
            Opening ceremony:

Am not sure that these things tug at the emotional heart strings like they used to. Still, a good clear sound for Mr Williams who has not quite turned into his Dad plus colleague. Angels was chosen as it is Yeltsin era, of course. Am especially loving the mascot. Mostly, I hope that this tournament is a tremendous success for President Putin - and the world community.

Tremendous publicity for Putin and his government. When ever anyone mentions Russia these days the topic of poisoned umbrella tips are never far away. Maybe the World Cup will change attitudes both towards Russia and from it!

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
              • Apr 2007

In my work sweepstake with advertised random draw, I've got Serbia (150/1). [Why don't I hear any forum cheers??]

Could have been worse: my mate got Peru at 200/1!

Odd though how the organiser got Germany...
              I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• johncorrigan
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                In my work sweepstake with advertised random draw, I've got Serbia (150/1). [Why don't I hear any forum cheers??]

Could have been worse: my mate got Peru at 200/1!

Odd though how the organiser got Germany...
                Funnily enough, LMP, my daughter told a similar story when she drew Saudi Arabia, that the organiser in her work had drawn the Germans. :horror: Miss C then asked whether she should go stick fifty quid on Saudi Arabia to win. When I told her today's score she said, 'Just as well I didn't put my savings on them, Dad'. I agreed saying that she was right because she would get much better odds now.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Funnily enough, LMP, my daughter told a similar story when she drew Saudi Arabia, that the organiser in her work had drawn the Germans. :horror: Miss C then asked whether she should go stick fifty quid on Saudi Arabia to win. When I told her today's score she said, 'Just as well I didn't put my savings on them, Dad'. I agreed saying that she was right because she would get much better odds now.

Thats the sort of parenting you just can’t learn from books.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Zucchini
                    • Nov 2010

Last night's concert from Red Square (register free to view in full):

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2011

You could think of a few reasons not to like a World Cup in Russia in 2018, but....

Portugal 3 Spain 3

...restores your faith in the beautiful game. Wow! Did you SEE that! Etc.
                      I loved the close-up on Ronaldo's face, his so-distinctive preparation for his free kick, and earlier his sly, shameless grin at Nacho, from whom he'd just, er, "won" a penalty...
                      But who was it who scored the goal of the game? Poetic justice at its most exact. Stunning strike from Nacho, so hard to do... remind you of anything...?
                      This one...
                      Steven Gerrard smashes home an injury time equaliser for Liverpool in the classic FA Cup final against West Ham in 2006. Liverpool won the game on penalties ...

No wonder Ronaldo ​just had to score his equaliser - can't let anyone else hog the headlines!

And thankfully, Ramos didn't break any shoulders or inflict concussion on the Portuguese keeper.... but, speaking of keepers....

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                        You could think of a few reasons not to like a World Cup in Russia in 2018, but....

Portugal 3 Spain 3

...restores your faith in the beautiful game. Wow! Did you SEE that! Etc.
                        I loved the close-up on Ronaldo's face, his so-distinctive preparation for his free kick, and earlier his grin at Nacho, from whom he'd just, er, "won" a penalty...
                        But who was it who scored the goal of the game? Poetic justice at its most exact. No wonder Ronaldo ​just had to score his equaliser - can't let anyone else hog the headlines!

And thankfully, Ramos didn't break any shoulders or inflict concussion on the Portuguese keeper.... but, speaking of keepers....
                        People will be writing about that game for a long time. Not often that a game in which you don't really care who wins, gets your adrenalin running like that. It really did have everything.

And as you intimate, so lovely to have 94 minutes where the beautiful game leaves its ugly side behind, and reminds us of why we love it.

Anyway, Spain, very, very impressive on the ball. They ought to be able to eliminate the defensive frailties, and won't often get punished so severely.

And De Gea, wonderful though he is, does have the occasional howler in him ( Sunderland LC semi ?) so hopefully has that out of the way.

Best game I have seen since Saints v Bournemouth....

Music now. What a pity Berlioz's Harold didn't get to Iberia for a follow up work........
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                          • Nov 2010

Quality footie!

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                            • Aug 2015

It was very good.

I particularly liked the stat that it was his 51st hat trick and the 51st hat trick in a world cup.

He is at 33 also the oldest player to have had a world cup hat trick so even the 3-3 seems apt.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

A classic imo. The best of the tournament? We shall see. My Spanish side came out!
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• johncorrigan
                                • Nov 2010

Team spirit in abundance from the Icelanders...I think their yellow fuel light must have been flashing loud and long!

Comment

Working...
                                X