Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Seeing the England performance yesterday admittedly does not inspire confidence but being a glass half full Owls supporter over the last couple of seasons has taught me the value of never believing its over until a C21st Wolstenholme says so!
    How many past winners of Euros and World Cups have come from teams with very faltering starts. We”ll see dreckly!
    Last edited by cloughie; 01-07-24, 10:44.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

A long time ago; I seem to remember its fall in popularity led to a record rise in apple turnover.
      A very TELLing story!

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

A very TELLing story!
        Did you hear it from William?

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Did you hear it from William?
          Hi ho Silver….

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            Seeing the England performance yesterday admittedly does not inspire confidence but being a glass half full Owls supporter over the last couple of seasons has taught me the value of never believing its over until a C21st Wolstenholme says so!
            How many past winners of Euros and World Cups have come from teams with very faltering starts. We”ll see dreckly!
            Earlier this year, in these pages, I suggested that England could go on and win the Euros. I have seen nothing to change that viewpoint. They have sauntered through the group stage and, with a touch of fortune, come out top. They have expended little energy, and then, just at the point of requirement, two of their top players show up to kill off the Slovaks. They will all have to turn up against the Swiss. We know how good they are as they even managed a draw against the Scots. They are a fine outfit with good players, but England have better players, some of whom are due a performance. Of course, and I have said it before, England's coach is a weak point, in my opinion. Spain and Austria have looked the best team in the tournament so far, but as you say, cloughie, it is seldom the most attractive team that wins these big tournaments.
            I was sorry to see Georgia go - they were a breath of fresh air, but Spain looked terrific last night.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
              • Nov 2010

How many times during a PL season do you hear the phrase "a very disappointing first half". How about, instead of playing 38 x 90 minute games....playing 76 x 45 minute games....2 games being played on the same afternoon with 3 points for each 45 minutes....
              bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

This may be true, but would it not apply to other big nations too ? Spain for example ?
                Do they pay as much?

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Do they pay as much?
                  No, they get France and Germany to pay and build all their roads....
                  bong ching

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                    • Nov 2010

....amazing how Slovenia have not been slowing the game down and are not constantly back passing to the keeper (against Portugal)....it's making an end to end game....
                    bong ching

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

.........yeah, and WHAT a game!

Comment

• johncorrigan
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                        .........yeah, and WHAT a game!
                        Great couple of goalies on display. You can see why Slovenia do so much defending, as they seem unable to hit barn door from five feet. Portugal would be so much better without Cristiano, but they wouldn't be as good a laugh.

Comment

Working...
                        X