X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Agreed though, the lugubrious cliché-spouting pundits and commentators are dire. Outclassed by some of the bods from overseas e.g. Didier Drogba, Nigel de Jong, apparently effortlessly deploying far better English despite it not being their mother tongue…
    ....must admit (ashamedly) that certain peoples attitude to others personal space around about the toe/ankle/calf level does make me marginally revert to things I might have thought about Johnny Foreigner in the 60's/70's.....
    Last edited by eighthobstruction; 29-11-22, 01:06.
    bong ching

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
      A couple of forum derbies in the FA Cup 3rd round, if me old eyes don't deceive me.
      Just returned from choir so just discovered our next cup opponents - well we have anton’s big fish not his minnows - or in avian terms will our wise ones be overcome by thieving chatterboxes?
      Anyway great to have another forum derby against a Prem side!

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Feeling for the Welsh fans this morning, I have to say. It was reminding me of the '78 World Cup in Argentina which lurks in the psyche of many a Scottish footie follower. Underperforming until it was too late, we almost miraculously came out of the shell to beat the Dutch in the final group match - that moment of hope when Archie Gemmill scored his wonder goal, only to be shoved back onto the seat of our pants - it all proved too little, too late. I had hoped that the Welsh might put in a top performance against England last night, but sadly they continued their form seen throughout the tournament. They were pretty dreadful against a good England team. Sadly, from what I've seen, they've been the poorest team in the tournament, and I include Qatar in that. Wales got to the finals and then forgot that they needed to turn up. I hope they can bounce back.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
          • Nov 2010

....Aye John....where are you going for your holidays Gareth....not Porthcawl i'll warrant....they didn't play well, they did though give everything they had after a short turn around from lower leagues and in some cases injury, and others not playing regular matches....

....Cannot believe Shearer still bears malice over long gone England Iceland loss....get a life Alan
          bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
            Feeling for the Welsh fans this morning, I have to say. It was reminding me of the '78 World Cup in Argentina which lurks in the psyche of many a Scottish footie follower. Underperforming until it was too late, we almost miraculously came out of the shell to beat the Dutch in the final group match - that moment of hope when Archie Gemmill scored his wonder goal, only to be shoved back onto the seat of our pants - it all proved too little, too late. I had hoped that the Welsh might put in a top performance against England last night, but sadly they continued their form seen throughout the tournament. They were pretty dreadful against a good England team. Sadly, from what I've seen, they've been the poorest team in the tournament, and I include Qatar in that. Wales got to the finals and then forgot that they needed to turn up. I hope they can bounce back.
            Is it any accident the way that football (soccer especially) has assumed the overweening importance it has in the minds of the masses worldwide in the space of the decades in which it has evolved (sic) from its origins on school playing grounds through local community identification to become the multinational business and part of the global business world it has? No other field more blatantly illustrates the capitalist values it has come to embody par excellence (pun intended), viz the idea that for life to continue it must consist in victors and vanquished, in which the former collectively gain at the expense of the latter, and we all have to wait until next time the whole charade is repeated.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              Is it any accident the way that football (soccer especially) has assumed the overweening importance it has in the minds of the masses worldwide in the space of the decades in which it has evolved (sic) from its origins on school playing grounds through local community identification to become the multinational business and part of the global business world it has? No other field more blatantly illustrates the capitalist values it has come to embody par excellence (pun intended), viz the idea that for life to continue it must consist in victors and vanquished, in which the former collectively gain at the expense of the latter, and we all have to wait until next time the whole charade is repeated.
              I’m interested in the idea that the best teams are not those that compete hardest, but those that work together best.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                I’m interested in the idea that the best teams are not those that compete hardest, but those that work together best.
                ....efficiency v product....one has to remember there is a second team trying to frustrate the others abilities....(....are we using Saints as an example?)....Then again there are those teams with a high percentage of players who cannot hit a barn door....
                bong ching

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                  ....efficiency v product....one has to remember there is a second team trying to frustrate the others abilities....(....are we using Saints as an example?)....Then again there are those teams with a high percentage of players who cannot hit a barn door....
                  Perhaps they could experiment in the semi pro leagues with actually using a barn door instead of goalposts and nets.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                    Perhaps they could experiment in the semi pro leagues with actually using a barn door instead of goalposts and nets.
                    ....this would be essentially a rural league one imagines....(though there would immediately be a business opportunity for fake barndoors, until China mass produces and exports)....
                    bong ching

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                      ....this would be essentially a rural league one imagines....(though there would immediately be a business opportunity for fake barndoors, until China mass produces and exports)....
                      I know of a team of Barn Owls! Work the percentage system and the pellets sometimes stun the opposition!

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Rams 0 Owls 0

Missed the opportunity to go top but at least we got a point!

Comment

• antongould
                          • Nov 2010

Hangers 0 Robs Boys 5

Our manager must be a little worried …….

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                            Hangers 0 Robs Boys 5

Our manager must be a little worried …….
                            That result should bring edge back - to apologise for borrowing your manager to get promoted and not giving him back! Look at the table County could get to the playoffs - but the Hangers, on a dreadful run should be dead and buried - but a couple of a wins and a steady second half of the season - what can possibly go wrong?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

I’d love to know if it’s the Japanese or the Croatian supporters who are chanting Scott Joplin’s Entertainer repeatedly…
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                              X