X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Parry1912
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
    That said in a poor match the Womens team showed the mens team how to beat the Germans
    England (men) beat Germany 2 - 0 in last year’s Euros.
    Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

I’ve been following football since the sixties and the hysteria and hype around it is just out of control. We are now hearing that last nights victory will “change society” . A quote from tonight’s six o’clock news. Of course it won’t , In 1968 no one gave a stuff about the Euros Men competition when we beat the Russians in the playoff having lost to Yugoslavia in the semis.
      Football changes nothing other than making a very few people very rich. Messi and Ronaldo aren’t role models any more than Beethoven is . The number of Brits who will get to their heights is so small as to be immeasurable- you’re better off passing your A levels or learning plumbing.
      That said in a poor match the Womens team showed the mens team how to beat the Germans - match them physically , don’t be intimidated and when you get a lead with ten minutes to go play the rest of the match within twenty feet of their corner flag. Nice one…
      I agree about hysteria around football. There is too much ( or at least too regularly televised ) football, and responses to results and incidents are disproportionate, viz some press reports on the defeated Spanish and German sides in this tournament.
      But it is bread and circuses. The more days that our young people are distracted from falling wages, absurd govt interventions, , lousy housing, insane foreign policy, whatever, the better for the nutters running the country and the spineless crew pretending to be an opposition.

Well thats what I think anyway !!
      And that said, I enjoyed the football in the tournament. And now back to the long term grind of supporting the Saints. Spurs away first up…….doddle.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
        England (men) beat Germany 2 - 0 in last year’s Euros.
        Good point - I had forgotten in the euphoria. But my general point re England vs Germany still stands ..

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Good point - I had forgotten in the euphoria. But my general point re England vs Germany still stands ..
          Your point stands despite the stats that show that England have won 14 and lost 15 against Germany and West Germany.
          It doesn’t feel like that, does it ?!
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• LHC
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            Your point stands despite the stats that show that England have won 14 and lost 15 against Germany and West Germany.
            I suspect that’s because the German men have won the World Cup 4 times, and the European Cup 2 times, so they are quite rightly perceived as being more successful than England.

NB. The German Womens’ team have won the World Cup twice, and the European Cup 8 times.
            "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
            Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
              • Apr 2014

Thing is - it’s the key ones that stick in the brain. Particularly penalty shoot outs which etch themselves deep into the consciousness like a great opera performance, being jilted , or the death of a pet.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                Jill Scott and her, justified, outburst did the Land Of The Pit Heaps proud ……
                Now as a preamble I will say that it is possible that Miss Rosso can read German [possibly not]....but I did think it funny when the Germans sent a note onto the field with one of their substitutes and Miss Rosso made an effort to discover what the note contained by looking over the centre halves shoulder....

....Land of the Pit Heaps
                Mother of the scree....
                bong ching

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Thing is - it’s the key ones that stick in the brain. Particularly penalty shoot outs which etch themselves deep into the consciousness like a great opera performance, being jilted , or the death of a pet.
                  Yes indeed.
                  Mexico ‘70…….aged 8 …….

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                    • Apr 2014

Yes indeed.
                    Mexico ‘70…….aged 8 …….
                    Why did he take Charlton off ? I actually hid behind my piano for the last 20 minutes. It’ll take more than yesterday to heal those scars.

Comment

• Parry1912
                      • Nov 2010

Why did he take Charlton off ? I actually hid behind my piano for the last 20 minutes. It’ll take more than yesterday to heal those scars.
                      Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• gurnemanz
                        • Nov 2010

Yes indeed.
                        Mexico ‘70…….aged 8 …….
                        Aged 20 and prefer not to be reminded. I was in my year abroad from my German degree and watching it on TV with a roomful of Germans. At 2-0 up, with copious Frankenwein doing its work, I was succumbing to a bit of crowing. As the recently deceased Uwe Seeler scored the equaliser I sank back in silence... Especially as Gerd Müller scored the inevitable winner.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                          • Nov 2010

Pat Nevin loves Johan Cruyff and he talks about it and total football with Auke Kok and Jonathan Parris on this week's 'Great Lives'.
                          Pat Nevin picks Johan Cruyff, the Dutch footballer who changed how the game was played.

I saw him play at Love Street for Feyenoord in a first leg UEFA tie against the Buddies, towards the end of his career. Every time the genius got the ball there was a sharp intake of breath from the Paisley faithful. Ruud Gullit played that night too - he was at the start of his career - they murdered us 1-2. I recall that I didn't care because it was just great to have seen Cruyff.

Comment

• antongould
                            • Nov 2010

Hangers 0 Wimbledon 0

Not bottom

Toon 2 Nottingham Forest 0

Not top

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                              Hangers 0 Wimbledon 0

Not bottom

Toon 2 Nottingham Forest 0

Not top
                              You’ve got a point there, anton!

Franchise 0 Owls 1

Comment

• johncorrigan
                                • Nov 2010

Bottom. Manager's jacket on increasingly shoogly nail. Played with 10 men for three-quarters of the game. Cuffed 4-1 by Big Jim's new mob.

Comment

Working...
                                X