Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Southgate's lack of managerial experience exposed this evening, I thought. When he needed to change things, Mancini knew how to do it; Southgate didn't. I thought GS's handling of the penalty shoot-out was poor. Italy have been the team of the tournament but England, I'm afraid to say, look good for the World Cup next year. It's been a great tournament except for Scotland's performance. Tonight's game was not game of the tournament, but thought the Azzurri's big goalie was brilliant and those two Italian centre backs were out of this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Penalty shoot-outs are no measure of how well any team played - who on earth thought up the idea of settling a match by this means? They should be scrapped, and wins decided on points.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

I thought they were outstanding on and off the pitch throughout the tournament . What I do not understand was what appeared to be a conscious decision to play do defensively in the second half. It emboldened Italy and made us look scared . Yet after the Italy goal we rallied and were the better team in extra time . Penalties are an absurd way to decide a tournament. They might as well draw straws.

The Italians were their usual mixture of the sublime and dirty . The referee was very poor . Such a laissez fairs attitude just encourages dirty play . With most other referees Italy would have ended that match with 9 men.

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          I thought they were outstanding on and off the pitch throughout the tournament . What I do not understand was what appeared to be a conscious decision to play do defensively in the second half. It emboldened Italy and made us look scared . Yet after the Italy goal we rallied and were the better team in extra time . Penalties are an absurd way to decide a tournament. They might as well draw straws.

The Italians were their usual mixture of the sublime and dirty . The referee was very poor . Such a laissez fairs attitude just encourages dirty play . With most other referees Italy would have ended that match with 9 men.
          Why not decide matches on cards first, then penalties? And that Chiellini pull on Saka - only a yellow?

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            Genuinely terrible, rather than odd .Either senior players bottled it, or Southgate messed up the choice. Saka in particular , who was way off it tonight, despite being a player I really rate.

Agree ts …… we need more experienced players to take penalties IMVVHO

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
              Agree ts …… we need more experienced players to take penalties IMVVHO
              To put two players onto the park with a minute or so to go with the sole intention of taking a penalty seemed bonkers to me, anton. How can they possibly feel warmed up to take such a high pressure kick, and especially against that big Italian goalie? Surely you want the likes of a Henderson up there to take the kick. Also, the way that Saka was 'roughed up' by the Italian defence, made the decision to have him take the fifth penalty very hard to believe, I think.

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                Southgate's lack of managerial experience exposed this evening, I thought. When he needed to change things, Mancini knew how to do it; Southgate didn't. I thought GS's handling of the penalty shoot-out was poor. Italy have been the team of the tournament but England, I'm afraid to say, look good for the World Cup next year. It's been a great tournament except for Scotland's performance. Tonight's game was not game of the tournament, but thought the Azzurri's big goalie was brilliant and those two Italian centre backs were out of this world.
                I have to agree with you about GS , JC though I know Jayne will disagree !
                Given England's woeful international record, a semi and a final in successive tournaments , and some good football played is not to be sniffed at. But tonight the game was clearly slipping away from us, against a team who could easily have killed us off. The only way I could see to change the momentum of the match was to get Grealish on, to hold and carry the ball, which he does exceptionally well. This would have eased pressure, and caused problems for the Italian defence who had a free ride after half time. Mount was the obvious one to replace. He's a fantastic player, but he has been a little below his highest standards.
                Declan Rice was excellent last night, but for England to go one better, we have to find a world class central midfielder from somewhere. ( In the early/mid 80's we had the luxury of leaving Hoddle out quite often ( 50 caps is all he had !!) and Steve Williams and Dave Armstrong never got a look in.........)

As for the penalties, how we can get it so wrong again is hard to fathom. Particularly hard to take after Pickford's second save. On the upside, some players have really made their mark in this tournament. Shaw, Rice and Pickford have done really well,and should stay as key members of a good side.
                Last edited by teamsaint; 12-07-21, 09:03.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• LHC
                  • Jan 2011

Agreed about Southgate’s management last night. England played too defensively in the second half, and Southgate waited too long to change tactics and make substitutions. Bringing Rashford and Sancho on in the last few minutes so they could take penalties was also a major error; it didn’t allow them to get into the game, and it is little wonder their penalties were so poor. The penalty was just about the first time Sancho touched the ball. Allowing Saka to take the last penalty was also poor management. It placed so much pressure on such a young player.

I was going to say that I hope the fact it was Rashford, Sancho and Saka who missed doesn’t embolden the more racist elements of England’s supporters to crawl out of woodwork, but I see I am too late, and they have been receiving horrific abuse on social media. I hope the FA and their clubs support them properly, and that the police take action against all of the people abusing them.
                  "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                  Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

To put two players onto the park with a minute or so to go with the sole intention of taking a penalty seemed bonkers to me, anton. How can they possibly feel warmed up to take such a high pressure kick, and especially against that big Italian goalie? Surely you want the likes of a Henderson up there to take the kick. Also, the way that Saka was 'roughed up' by the Italian defence, made the decision to have him take the fifth penalty very hard to believe, I think.
                    I might bring one player on if there was a really compelling case. Perhaps Rashford as apparently he has a good penalty record, but two was a really poor decision. Senior players have to take responsibility, and to be allowed to by the manager. I'm sorry to say this, but the two kids were hung out to dry.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
                      Why not decide matches on cards first, then penalties? And that Chiellini pull on Saka - only a yellow?
                      Its a technicality about the Chielini pull, I think Stoatfoe. If it isn't violent or a goal scoring opportunity he can't be red carded. It is exasperating.
                      Last edited by teamsaint; 12-07-21, 09:02.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                        • Nov 2010

I'm sorry to say this, but the two kids were hung out to dry.
                        Could not agree more, sainty...I feel for them.

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

<<< To put two players onto the park with a minute or so to go with the sole intention of taking a penalty seemed bonkers to me,>>>

Precisely.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                            • Apr 2014

Please can I be the ten millionth person in to point out that bringing on players in the last few minutes into the cauldron of Wembley to take a penalty is a stupid idea? A penalty is one shot and apart from any thing else it’s almost certainly the case your muscles won’t have warmed up no matter how much side to side running your have been doing. Football warm up exercises have always struck me as a joke compared with Rugby where professional players , for safety reasons , have to come prepared to deliver maximum power in the scrum or take a tackle. England’s game preparation is just not up to it .

Comment

• pastoralguy
                              • Nov 2010

It's been a great tournament except for Scotland's performance.
                              Really! Scotland managed to prevent England from scoring any goals so I wonder how that’s a poor result.

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                                • Nov 2010

Its a technicality about the Chielini pull, I think Stoatfoe. If it isn't violent or a goal scoring opportunity he can't be red carded. It is exasperating.
                                You're right of course. Though much as I like Italy, the nation and the people, that side of their game really riles.

Comment

Working...
                                X