X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    ... I would say that a phrase like 'the ludicrousness of football' does not - to me - obviously refer to the game itself: the pitch, the playing positions, the rules, the tactics, and so on; but rather to concomitants such as the money paid to players, the commentators (Mitchell), the extent to which the game (as outlined above) comes to occupy such an important part of people's lives, the level of emotion it inspires
    I think I agree. The same level of emotion as evinced by the various contrade at the Siena palio - and no doubt between the blue, white, red, or green team supporters at the chariot races in ancient Rome. So not necessarily just football, tho' clearly it's the current obsession. And, pace Heldenleben, I don't see a necessary connexion with the 'ease of playing' - many football fans are happy watching the matches without feeling a need to play the game themselves

Comment

• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
      Shame you had to take this up J....I see you as a friend....
      I took it up because I was the one who originally posted the sketch.

Your highlighted phrase is a dead giveaway, perfect example of the down-the-nose attitudes I grew up all too familiar with in the middle classes (from their "point of view" - doesn't get you off the hook); hence my description as "tired and dated"....(imagine if my film critic friend had taken the same view in 1982)...
      I shall bear this in mind when I'm doing my job every weekday morning (mostly cleaning toilets).

But it hangs around in our culture (and sadly all too obvious, over and again, on these boards...) in many subliminal ways.

Mitchell makes no secret of his dislike of football, and produces a shallow, terribly over-stated parody about the media excitement around it. Attempting to mock a true passion from such a cowardly stance behind its media, he ignorantly deconstructs his own supposed satire, going on too long and too loud, without an iota of real wit or insight. Only someone who knows little about football and its modern presentations, and dislikes the sport anyway, could find it funny. Mere self-affirmation and self-congratulation for Mitchell and his acolytes.
      'Shallow' well it's light comedy, I wouldn't expect something too deep. 'Over-stated' well, that's news to me, the various funny observations that Mitchell makes were novel to me, but like I say, hit the nail on the head for someone living with a person whose weekend TV watching includes football throughout the day. I think you're taking the sketch far too seriously, but then, as I've said, I cannot see the point in taking football or any sport too seriously, it's too much effort and emotional investment etc. 'Cowardly' well, there is footage of him performing it in the Mitchell and Webb Live DVD, it's quite a performance. Some of the humour is pointed at the presentation of football on Sky for example. It's silly but meant to be silly.

Absolutely no more from me on this.... but I'm still your friend.
      OK, but you also are still my friend, despite the sense of humour bypass on this one thing.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
        Some of the humour is pointed at the presentation of football on Sky for example. It's silly but meant to be silly.
        In any case, he was clearly lampooning the broadcasting style (which he's done before with the BBC and people's 'reckons', encouraging people to text, tweet and email about anything at all)), the way he was marching around briskly as he was speaking (to add movement to the visuals, y'see), the unstoppable flow of hyperbolic comment, the turning to look as the camera position changed, the inserted snatches of fans (movement again). Not a comment on the game of football.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          In any case, he was clearly lampooning the broadcasting style (which he's done before with the BBC and people's 'reckons', encouraging people to text, tweet and email about anything at all)), the way he was marching around briskly as he was speaking (to add movement to the visuals, y'see), the unstoppable flow of hyperbolic comment, the turning to look as the camera position changed, the inserted snatches of fans (movement again). Not a comment on the game of football.
          I saw the sketch a couple of years ago. I agree that it seems to me to be a comment on presentation and over hype of football, but also plays to a certain kind of view of the game.

There are fascinating issues that have been raised on this thread about the ways that people relate to the game and " their " teams, but maybe they are for somewhere else.
          Interesting to compare the enthusiastic and possibly over excited backing for British stars at Wimbledon, among people who I suspect don't get very involved in following tennis stars in any meaningful ( expensive or inconvenient for example) ways at other times.

And the questions around what produces the almost blind loyalty to club teams , and how this has changed over time, are in need of solving.

EG: It used to be quite common ( up till the 60's) for Southampton and Portsmouth fans to have season tickets for both clubs. It is all but unthinkable now. What has changed ?
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

Two intriguing quarters this evening - can the Swiss upset the Spanish, or will Spain learn lessons from their epic against Croatia? Italy v Belgium seems impossible to predict - I imagine that much will depend on whether De Bruyne has recovered from the bad challenge and if Eden Hazard will at last turn up at the Euros. Italy have looked pretty good and showed a lot of guts to see off Austria. Hopefully the tour will have finished by then - just as well I'm not working today.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

HATE WON'T WIN

QUARTER-FINAL 1: 1700: SWITZERLAND V SPAIN
              QUARTER-FINAL 2: 2000: BELGIUM V ITALY

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                Two intriguing quarters this evening - can the Swiss upset the Spanish, or will Spain learn lessons from their epic against Croatia? Italy v Belgium seems impossible to predict - I imagine that much will depend on whether De Bruyne has recovered from the bad challenge and if Eden Hazard will at last turn up at the Euros. Italy have looked pretty good and showed a lot of guts to see off Austria. Hopefully the tour will have finished by then - just as well I'm not working today.
                De Bruyne and Hazard look good to go, one wonders for how long though....how will Switzerland and Spain have reacted to those Monday epics? Can the Swiss keep overturning the usual view of them as worthy underachievers, against Spain with their 10-goals-in-2-matches firepower? Switzerland revealed some firepower themselves, not to mention compactness, speed on the counter and tactical flexibility....they've been a lovely surprise, one of many at this great tournament. And not just for... Shaq Attack!
                Belgium v Italy.... well, it is simply a premature final isn't it? Quite a prospect, in the grand setting of the Allianz....both teams will be fiercely committed.

Only two of these dizzying doubleheaders left.... how wonderful they've been. Make the most of them, everyone!

Not the least pleasure of the multi-city format has been the wonderful stadia on view; QF1 is in perhaps the most spectacular of all, the St Petersburg Gazprom....the atmosphere should be wonderful in both settings tonight.

But tomorrow is another day, and the Olimpico may be just a little too empty due to quarantine.... welcome to The Euros 2020/21!
                Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 02-07-21, 13:15.

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist
                  Or Michael Palin in his portrait of local super-fan Gordon Ottershaw in the hilarious Golden Gordon, from Ripping Yarns - which I would recommend to jayne as a GSOH restorative:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O1pH-NEa6l
                  I've always been a huge fan of 'Ripping Yarns'. I did suggest some time ago that the Glorious Gordon episode might have been inspired by the Alec Guinness film 'The Card', based on Arnold Bennett's book of the same name, in which a former player, Callear, is persuaded to return to restore the fortunes of local team Bursley, a name which itself might be some sort of conflation of Burslem and Burnley.
                  It was only recently that I discovered that the theme music for 'Ripping Yarns' was the fanfare from William Walton's Facade Suite No. 2.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

De Bruyne and Hazard look good to go, one wonders for how long though....how will Switzerland and Spain have reacted to those Monday epics? Can the Swiss keep overturning the usual view of them as worthy underachievers, against Spain with their 10-goals-in-2-matches firepower? Switzerland revealed some firepower themselves, not to mention compactness, speed on the counter and tactical flexibility....they've been a lovely surprise, one of many at this great tournament. And not just for... Shaq Attack!
                    Belgium v Italy.... well, it is simply a premature final isn't it? Quite a prospect, in the grand setting of the Allianz....both teams will be fiercely committed.

Only two of these dizzying doubleheaders left.... how wonderful they've been. Make the most of them, everyone!

Not the least pleasure of the multi-city format has been the wonderful stadia on view; QF1 is in perhaps the most spectacular of all, the St Petersburg Gazprom....the atmosphere should be wonderful in both settings tonight.

But tomorrow is another day, and the Olimpico may be just a little too empty due to quarantine.... welcome to The Euros 2020/21!

OK! So all a bit tense and cagey in QF1 so far...... lucky goal for Spain, bad luck compounded for the Swiss losing Embolo having already lost captain Xhaka to suspension.....
                    And yet, Petkovic reorganised swiftly and they are holding out well....I can't help rooting for them, not only for my own historical reasons. They simply mustn't allow Spain to pull out a bigger lead.

Both teams are playing within themselves a little, conserving precious energies. I suspect the match will continue similarly, but beyond 60 or 70 minutes in this tournament, well....

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Missed the first half of Spain/ Switzerland.

Would love to be at a game at The St Petersburg stadium
                      What the Ricoh Arena might have been if Cov were a CL team .
                      Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 02-07-21, 18:42.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Classic bit of commentary there.

Would love Saints to sign Shaqiri. Fantastic player to watch.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2011

YES! Big Shaq, Shaq Attack, has done it again....here we really go!
                          Just as I said, after 60 or 70 minutes anything can happen....

What a game we have now but.... oh no..... a red card.....? Not for that, please.....VAR?
                          Not down to the VAR-confirm, I simply feel that was a poor decision...may spoil the contest, and there is only so much heroism a team can give....but come on La Suisse....

So what now.... park two buses and play for pens...?
                          Spirit of Greece 2004!
                          Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 02-07-21, 18:40.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

I think that is a really poor decision, the red card.

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

YES! Big Shaq, Shaq Attack, has done it again....here we really go!
                              Just as I said, after 60 or 70 minutes anything can happen....

What a game we have now but.... oh no..... a red card.....? Not for that, please.....VAR?
                              Not down to the VAR-confirm, I simply feel that was a poor decision...may spoil the contest, and there is only so much heroism a team can give....but come on La Suisse....

So what now.... park two buses and play for pens...?
                              Spirit of Greece 2004!
                              Got to ask why that kind of decision is being made, and why VAR. can’t sort it out.

Edit. Lee Dixon is one of the best in the commentary box IMO.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                                Got to ask why that kind of decision is being made, and why VAR. can’t sort it out.
                                I was very surprised.

Comment

Working...
                                X