X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
    You were doing ok until the mention of Kane finding form - I don't think so, and I don't see him as having any talismanic value - and then the idea that Southgate might make brave decisions. Benching Kane and Sterling would be a start, and I don't see him doing either.
    There was a time when defences were scared of Kane, but he seems to have lost that air of invincibility. Scotland were helped by the rain, and I was glad Gareth waited so late to put Jack Grealish on. Scotland set about him from the moment he came on so that he couldn't get into the game. However, the result means little if we don't score or goal or two against the Croatians.

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
      There was a time when defences were scared of Kane, but he seems to have lost that air of invincibility. Scotland were helped by the rain, and I was glad Gareth waited so late to put Jack Grealish on. Scotland set about him from the moment he came on so that he couldn't get into the game. However, the result means little if we don't score or goal or two against the Croatians.
      Indeed. I wonder whether this one may have taken too much out of Scotland, while the Croatia game is effectively sudden-death if not won, and Croatia might just be too up-for-it.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
        • Apr 2014

I wonder if both sides went into this thinking a draw would be fine. That’s all England needed and maybe Scotland fancied their chances better against Croatia . That might be a mistake as England were definitely misfiring on most cylinders last night . Equally Scotland had a very well drilled defence and as you see time after time an organised defence can usually grind out a draw against most attacks . Yes England may have had only one shot on goal but that’s , to be charitable , testament to the defending. The difference is that the real quality teams (e.g, Belgium) can find a way of unpicking things even when there are ten defenders behind the ball and they take their chances like that missed header in the first half...

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Any tips on how to watch 2 matches simultaneously Monday to Wednesday next week - I don't want to miss any of the live action!

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            Any tips on how to watch 2 matches simultaneously Monday to Wednesday next week - I don't want to miss any of the live action!
            Two TVs, L?

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Split Screen on Sky Q - might be a bit of a rush, and a long waiting list, to get it fitted now though....
              If a red button appears on screen while you're watching a sports channel, extra features are available

Personally I love that last-day-of-the-premiership feeling of leaping around - both in the room, and from channel to channel, as the scorelines come in...
              Often with Radio Commentary running to help out....

Just make sure you know the rules for qualification!

Comment

• LHC
                • Jan 2011

Some TVs allow you to split the screen between two channels, or have a 'picture in picture' option whereby you can keep an eye on a separate channel/source, while still watching your main programme, a bit like this:

My TV does this, although I've never felt the need to make use of it.
                "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

On a more music related topic, it was interesting to compare the France/Hungary singing of their national anthems. The French sang efficiently and with good intonation. The Hungarians - well, er…

Comment

• gradus
                    • Nov 2010

Scotland have been hugely over-praised for a goal-less draw whilst England seemed daunted by the occasion and disappointed us as they almost invariably do. Not a terrible game though - where I live I'm used to those.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                      Scotland have been hugely over-praised for a goal-less draw whilst England seemed daunted by the occasion and disappointed us as they almost invariably do. Not a terrible game though - where I live I'm used to those.
                      Do you live near Selhurst Park? Scotland more determined than England and delighted their fans though still goalless and bottom of table. Stones should have buried that header. If he had, the whole match might have been different.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                        Scotland have been hugely over-praised for a goal-less draw.
                        Tend to agree, gradus. Scottish media and fans were just delighted that they didn't get stuffed, to be honest. I think that Scotland effectively nullified the English forwards, but didn't quite do enough to get past Mings, who I thought was England's best player. As I said earlier, however, last night's result counts for nowt if they don't manage to stick a goal or two in the Croatian net, and that's an ongoing concern.

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                          Two TVs, L?
                          Apologies to anybody who thought it was a serious question!

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                            • Apr 2014

Yes one on telly the other via iPlayer / ITV hub on laptop / iPad . Been doing that with Cardiff Singer of The World and the footy

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011

Wonderful atmosphere in Budapest....scoreline.... interesting! May be some very tense third matches next week!

Comment

• LMcD
                                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                                Yes one on telly the other via iPlayer / ITV hub on laptop / iPad . Been doing that with Cardiff Singer of The World and the footy
                                Thank you for your suggestions - I shall probably plump for 'Lovejoy' on UKTV Play.

Comment

Working...
                                X