• Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Worst haircuts - Hungary.

Comment

• Edgy 2
      • Jan 2019

Beautiful, I'd love to have stepped inside but it just wasn't possible on our guided tour of the city
      “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Apparently there's going to a brief media black-out at Wembley at 1645 while a specially reinforced crossbar is fitted to each goal.

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Sketch where Ray and Colin argue over football and the use of the word 'we' when discussing it.Season 2 Episode 6 of That Mitchell and Webb Look

Comment

• Alison
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            Congratulations on the big win AG, and commiserations to ER.
            Good luck at Ashton Gate, and I’m sure Stockport will do it next year.
            My belated condolences and best wishes to Edgey.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Awkward tonight, isn't it? As teamsaint has implied, being in a group no-one really wants to win...

Imagine if it is Czech Rep v England for top spot in the final game.... hmm....
              I guess on balance you'd take Portugal rather than France....and then Germany might wake up and.....phew.

Comment

• LHC
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                Awkward tonight, isn't it? As teamsaint has implied, being in a group no-one really wants to win...

Imagine if it is Czech Rep v England for top spot in the final game.... hmm....
                I guess on balance you'd take Portugal rather than France....and then Germany might wake up and.....phew.
                As long as they don’t do an Austria V Germany!

Anyway, I think attempts to gerrymander a result to get specific opponents can often backfire, because other results can easily scupper your plans. Furthermore, if you have pretensions for winning the tournament, you have to believe you can beat every other team there; trying to avoid a team in the knockout phases could undermine a team’s confidence in its own abilities.
                "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Edgy 2
                  • Jan 2019

Originally posted by LHC View Post

Anyway, I think attempts to gerrymander a result to get specific opponents can often backfire, because other results can easily scupper your plans. Furthermore, if you have pretensions for winning the tournament, you have to believe you can beat every other team there; trying to avoid a team in the knockout phases could undermine a team’s confidence in its own abilities.
                  “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by LHC View Post

Not so much any gerrymandering cynicism, but a potential, even subconscious problem of motivation...... the third match in 4-team groups is often very tense anyway.
                    But is there anything to say against keeping the knockout stage draw a secret, until the group stage has finished?

But a tight, exciting match tonight, chances at each end - very evenly matched so far...

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Sketch where Ray and Colin argue over football and the use of the word 'we' when discussing it.Season 2 Episode 6 of That Mitchell and Webb Look

Wonderful!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2011

England's creativity and pressing faded badly in the 5 or 10 minutes didn't they? Need to win that midfield ball far more competitively.

So - Grealish on soon? For....Rice, Mount? Or try one of our brilliant Bundesligan youngsters?

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                          • Apr 2014

England's creativity and pressing faded badly in the 5 or 10 minutes didn't they? Need to win that midfield ball far more competitively.

So - Grealish on soon? For....Rice, Mount? Or try one of our brilliant Bundesligan youngsters?
                          Yes to any of the above . I’m not enjoying this....we seem incapable of getting the ball in the net . That header should have gone in...we have no chance against Italy , France, Belgium or Portugal on this showing ....

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

No Google hits for this, I'm afraid.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                              No Google hits for this, I'm afraid.
                              Sancho and Bellingham both play for - Borussia Dortmund. We might see one of them in action soon...

Comment

• LMcD
                                • Sep 2017

Sancho and Bellingham both play for - Borussia Dortmund. We might see one of them in action soon...
                                Ah - and that makes them Bundesligan - OK!
                                Does that mean that players in the 4th tier of German football are West, North and South Regionalligans?
                                And don't forget that there are legions of Spanish Ligans.

Comment

Working...
                                X