• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
    Reluctant as I am to bring God into the discussion, I couldn't help thinking, as I walked round Kendal Parish Church the other day, that it resembles the Forum in at least one important aspect - it's a very broad and welcoming place.
    I happen to dig punnery as a semi-intellectual trivial pursuit that's almost as therapeutic as gardening, but less weather-dependent.
    The prejudiced attitudes to Sport on your other thread (Often from those who hate it anyway, especially Soccer) were dismaying to a Sports and now TV-Sports addict like me. Most especially a true Liverpudlian Red! (When we say, Klopp is our God, we mean it and don't mean it, which true fans understand).
    Even before you joined up here, I was upset at how, during a serious musical discussion or after an extended review of my own, the whole thread would dissolve into a dismally obvious series of puns - I found this deeply disrespectful to the trouble some of us take over posts on music (often intended to help people listen better). Which I now write less of, for forum-related and health reasons.
    Jokes, humour, puns-in-context are OK really, but those who partake should note the context...remember that basic respect. Don't "make fun" of those who take things seriously.

And now, back to the Joy of Football...!
    Pick of the games today looks like Belgium (Quelle Squad!) v Russia....(unless you're Welsh). But I'll look in to see how The Great Gareth is doing....
    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 12-06-21, 12:52.

Comment

• johncorrigan
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
      Pick of the games today looks like Belgium v Russia...
      Looking forward to this one too, jayne.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

The prejudiced attitudes to Sport on your other thread (Often from those who hate it anyway, especially Soccer) were dismaying to a Sports and now TV-Sports addict like me. Most especially a true Liverpudlian Red! (When we say, Klopp is our God, we mean it and don't mean it, which true fans understand).
        Even before you joined up here, I was upset at how, during a serious musical discussion or after an extended review of my own, the whole thread would dissolve into a dismally obvious series of puns - I found this deeply disrespectful to the trouble some of us take over posts on music (often intended to help people listen better). Which I now write less of, for forum-related and health reasons.
        Jokes, humour, puns-in-context are OK really, but those who partake should note the context...remember that basic respect. Don't "make fun" of those who take things seriously.

And now, back to the Joy of Football...!
        Pick of the games today looks like Belgium (Quelle Squad!) v Russia....(unless you're Welsh). But I'll look in to see how The Great Gareth is doing....
        My occasional forays into the world of sport relate to the coverage of these events, particularly on TV, not to those who play them or follow them. For example, is it REALLY necessary for ITV to allocate 4 hours airtime to a match that will last under 2? As for the final of the Euros - well, I expect the BBC will attract its usual 80% of the audience.
        I greatly enjoy watching lawn tennis and rugby union, not least because they seem to attract less excitable commentators.
        I've also been an Ipswich Town fan for 60 years, which has of late helped me manage my expectations of sporting success.
        I thought that the title of my 'other thread', which was chosen with my usual care, complete with its quotation marks, might have rung a bell....
        (Felictations au Pays Du Galles - still undefeated!)
        Last edited by LMcD; 12-06-21, 15:59.

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

Torquay next for Stockport then ……

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

We can only hope and pray that Eriksen pulls through. Muamba somehow did after seemingly for ever on the edge.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Yes, Terrible events..... how often Eriksen graced our screens with his skills for Spurs, latterly Inter....

We can only hope, and pray, and think of those close to him....and hope we see him creating more of those sublime moments again...

Admirably rapid response from the medics with CPR....but what shocking scenes...
              Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 12-06-21, 18:23.

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Yes, Terrible events..... how often Eriksen graced our screens with his skills for Spurs, latterly Inter....

We can only hope, and pray, and think of those close to him....and hope we see him creating more of those sublime moments again...

Admirably rapid response from the medics with CPR....but what shocking scenes...
                The latest reports suggest that he may yet pull through.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Edgy 2
                  • Jan 2019

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                  Torquay next for Stockport then ……
                  Hmmm

Encouraging news about Eriksen
                  “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Thank goodness he seems stable now....
                    From what I saw of it, the game (quite raucously supported in the first half) played out in a strange, subdued atmosphere....post-traumatic...... well, no wonder. An odd result in normal circumstances, but....

As for tonight's near-walkover, the most spectacular thing was the view from the ITV studio.... very swish.

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
                      Hmmm

Encouraging news about Eriksen
                      Yes, good this morning to see pictures of him awake, albeit still quite dazed, as he was carried from the pitch. Those glances of CPR being carried out and of his expressionless face after the fall were really distressing.

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Peter Schmeichel has criticized UEFA for allowing the Denmark v Finland match to resume last night, claiming that this reveals a lack of compassion. Is this, sadly, further evidence of the importance that is attached to the requirements of the broadcasters?
                        This applies to other sports, of course - witness the bizarre, spectator-less evening sessions at Roland Garros.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2011

Peter Schmeichel has criticized UEFA for allowing the Denmark v Finland match to resume last night, claiming that this reveals a lack of compassion. Is this, sadly, further evidence of the importance that is attached to the requirements of the broadcasters?
                          This applies to other sports, of course - witness the bizarre, spectator-less evening sessions at Roland Garros.
                          But the players of both sides agreed to it after sensitive consultation, after Christian himself said it should continue.....
                          Lukaku dedicated his goals for Belgium to our stricken hero too.....as we saw with the superleague debacle, players DO matter. They, the managers and campaigning fans like me, brought it down quickly.

What d'you think Eriksen would have said, anyway? "Play on, win it for me" - of course he would. That how footballers are and fans, the world over. Its called Love.
                          Sometimes, like Othello, we love not wisely, but too well...

Well the Danes couldn't quite manage that victory - but I bet they will be ever more determined to get through now.
                          "Go on, do it for Chris".

I'm in Liverpool. I lived through all the aftermath, near and far, of Heysel, and Hillsborough. I know whereof I speak.
                          Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 13-06-21, 14:22.

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

But the players of both sides agreed to it after sensitive consultation, after Christian himself said it should continue.....
                            Lukaku dedicated his goals for Belgium to our stricken hero too.....as we saw with the superleague debacle, players DO matter.

What d'you think Eriksen would have said, anyway? "Play on, win it for me" of course he would.That how footballers are and fans, the world over.

Well the Danes couldn't quite manage that - but I bet they will be ever more determined to get through now.
                            "Go on, do it for Chris".
                            I can't speak for Eriksen, or indeed for other football players, or fans the world over. Naturally, I wish him a full and speedy recovery. I'm still far from convinced that soccer, like other sports, hasn't entered into an inescapable Faustian pact with the broadcasters, who are probably already salivating at the mere possibility of a biennial World Cup.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011

I can't speak for Eriksen, or indeed for other football players, or fans the world over. Naturally, I wish him a full and speedy recovery. I'm still far from convinced that soccer, like other sports, hasn't entered into an inescapable Faustian pact with the broadcasters, who are probably already salivating at the mere possibility of a biennial World Cup.
                              But sometimes all you can do, especially if you are from Liverpool (see expanded post above) is......carry on.... grimly if necessary....
                              My post gave you all the details that matter. Please don't wilfully ignore them.

Anyway there's something quite important happening at 1400! So, back to the garden for now....

Comment

• LMcD
                                • Sep 2017

But sometimes all you can do, especially if you are from Liverpool (see expanded post above) is......carry on.... grimly if necessary....
                                My post gave you all the details that matter. Please don't wilfully ignore them.

Anyway there's something quite important happening at 1400! So, back to the garden for now....
                                Thanks for the reminder! Greece to beat Serbia 3-2.
                                Unfortunately, we shall miss some of the action from Paris because of an even more pressing engagement - the first live concert for over a year at our local church - Haydn and Brahms.
                                Ars longa ludus brevis!

Comment

Working...
                                X