X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
    Seems totally mad, cloughie...makes absolutely no sense no matter which way you look at it. I reckon they should just abandon the final.
    What and give it to Chelsea on a best of 3 over the season?

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
      In the 'good old days' before the Champions League became the bloated monster it is today, there was, of course, no possibility of a final between 2 teams from the same country, so the problem wouldn't have arisen.
      In fact the first such European final was Spurs v Wolves, in the 1972 UEFA Cup. Same-country Champions League Finals go back to 2000, a great match between Real and Valencia, famous for the wonderful strike from our former player Steve MacManaman who I often used to see in the local shops. Now an excellent, witty match analyst on BT.

I'm sad at the sniping at my beloved CL and the so-tiresomely-called "big six". For God's sake can't you leave it alone now? It is so unfair to fans, who cannot change their lifelong devotion.
      And some of us fans, players and managers put a lot of effort into stopping that ESL, and it won't be back, howsoever defeatist some people are. Leave old Perez to his silly old fantasies - which betray his own wonderful club, that has given me so much pleasure over the years.

So I post much less here, usually such a friendly board, as a result. Yes, the 2021 Final should be played at Wembley of course - and there is still a very real possibility that it will be. No defeatism here!
      I would rather focus on how remarkable Tuchel's transformation of Chelsea has been. They outplayed Real across two wonderful matches of the highest quality. (That bizarre blowing up against West Brom only reminds us all of why we love this game.)

I find myself an Everton supporter today, which only goes to show. I'll still snarl at Pickford though, if he's on. But for now - time to focus on that other most wonderful devotion, the Spanish Grand Prix...
      Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 09-05-21, 13:48.

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
        But for now - time to focus on that other most wonderful devotion, the Spanish Grand Prix...
        Thanks to that nudge I changed channels from Seagulls v Wolves just in time to see a pleasant rendition of the Spanish national anthem played by a wind quintet.

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

Buddies fortunate the score is still goal-free at half-time, though they did have the best chance of the half. They're looking the second best Saints so far.

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

Drat and double drat!

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

In fact the first such European final was Spurs v Wolves, in the 1972 UEFA Cup. Same-country Champions League Finals go back to 2000, a great match between Real and Valencia, famous for the wonderful strike from our former player Steve MacManaman who I often used to see in the local shops. Now an excellent, witty match analyst on BT.

I'm sad at the sniping at my beloved CL and the so-tiresomely-called "big six". For God's sake can't you leave it alone now? It is so unfair to fans, who cannot change their lifelong devotion.
              And some of us fans, players and managers put a lot of effort into stopping that ESL, and it won't be back, howsoever defeatist some people are. Leave old Perez to his silly old fantasies - which betray his own wonderful club, that has given me so much pleasure over the years.

So I post much less here, usually such a friendly board, as a result. Yes, the 2021 Final should be played at Wembley of course - and there is still a very real possibility that it will be. No defeatism here!
              I would rather focus on how remarkable Tuchel's transformation of Chelsea has been. They outplayed Real across two wonderful matches of the highest quality. (That bizarre blowing up against West Brom only reminds us all of why we love this game.)

I find myself an Everton supporter today, which only goes to show. I'll still snarl at Pickford though, if he's on. But for now - time to focus on that other most wonderful devotion, the Spanish Grand Prix...
              I assume that the Champions League was originally conceived as a competition between teams that had come top of the 1st tier in their respective countries, i.e. it was a League comprised of (national) champions. The vast increase in the number of teams that are now allowed to qualify means that there are some embarrassingly one-sided fixtures in the early stages, and also makes an already jam-packed fixture list even congested. While I'm as pleased as anybody that the proposed European Super League appears to have been scuppered - at least for now - I think the proposed name would more accurately reflect the character of the current competition for top, but not necessarily champion, European clubs. And you never know - nicking the name might make it more difficult for Perez's wretched plan to ever resurface!

Comment

• Edgy 2
                • Jan 2019

Drat and double drat!
                Unlucky jc
                “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• Edgy 2
                  • Jan 2019

Might, cloughie. Do you think Man City will manage to win the league? More importantly, will the Buddies get to the Scottish Cup final, where Jack Ross' mob awaits?
                  Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  Yes to City, dreckly and best of fortune today to you jc!

Mention of City - surely it is a Covid no brainer - the CL final should be switched to Wembley, but the UEFa puddin’ heads are probably so peed off with an all English final that they’re not going to change it.
                  tsk tsk (m c )
                  “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• johncorrigan
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
                    Unlucky jc
                    We needed to score first to have a chance, Rob, and missed two great opportunities at 0-0...so it goes! Not a bad game, mind you!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2011

I assume that the Champions League was originally conceived as a competition between teams that had come top of the 1st tier in their respective countries, i.e. it was a League comprised of (national) champions. The vast increase in the number of teams that are now allowed to qualify means that there are some embarrassingly one-sided fixtures in the early stages, and also makes an already jam-packed fixture list even congested. While I'm as pleased as anybody that the proposed European Super League appears to have been scuppered - at least for now - I think the proposed name would more accurately reflect the character of the current competition for top, but not necessarily champion, European clubs. And you never know - nicking the name might make it more difficult for Perez's wretched plan to ever resurface!
                      The original Coupe des Clubs Champions Européens , the European Cup, was not a league, but a knockout competition featuring just the Champions alone established in 1955.
                      The League Stages were introduced in 1992, with up to 4 teams from various countries. How many are allowed from each league depends upon their domestic record and the quality of the given league.
                      In fact, in recent years the league stage has become much tougher, as teams learn and grown from their experience. You get the odd spectacular scoreline (especial this season!) but there are few pushovers now. So the group stage has given more clubs the chance to compete and sometimes do surprisingly well, given a good coach, team spirit and a lot of determination. Its become harder to win, not easier. If Barça, Juve, Real or Inter tend to make the later rounds more often it is down to experience and sheer European nous, really.

But just look at the Sky Blues previous record: hardly ever past the last 8, and last season they were knocked out by......Lyon - hardly the crème de la crème, but won by a tactical out-think.
                      Finally they got there, thanks to PSG's injuries and brittle temperament under pressure...but also their own organisation, determination in the press, and throwing themselves in front of every goal attempt, every approach, over and over, for two highquality games. They just wouldn't let it go, and I had to admire them for that.

As I implied above, things are moving very quickly with the potential transfer of the CL Final to Wembley... I'd be surprised if it doesn't happen now, and very soon.

Good detail here...
                      Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 10-05-21, 08:20.

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Great news for supporters of less fashionable clubs:
                        (1) St Johnstone have made it to the Scottish Cup Final
                        (2) Unlike ManU, Ipswich have managed to find a new shirt sponsor.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Drat and double drat!
                          bad luck JC.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Excellent teams of the past 40 years who would have made the CL with four qualifying, but for who it is just a pipe dream now.
                            QPR, Ipswich, Norwich, WBA, Southampton to name but a few.
                            Its a rich mans plaything, for big city clubs.

So it goes, but don’t be surprised at indifference and sniping Jayne. Seriously, supporters of many clubs like mine used to really think they had a shot at the title in a very good year . Now its just about mid table security. Sad, really.

( the Wolves / Tottenham final was massive...seemed to grip the whole country....).
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

If it's any consolation, we're quite a friendly bunch down here in Tier 3.
                              Well , mostly.......friendliness quotient in L1 not really helped by todays outcomes

Sorry to see Nige miss out at Charlton. Hopefully next season with ITFC and Th’Owls.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Drat and double drat!
                                Welcome to the ‘nearly men’ club. Somehow getting close is worse that an earlier wipeout!

Guess you need the music I’m currently listening to - 100 Blues Hits (subtiltle should be for those who’ve just missed)!

Comment

Working...
                                X