X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
    The government and other institutions are very keen to be seen to be addressing an issue while hoping that their subsequent failure to actually do anything - even if that were possible - can subsequently be quietly announced late on a Friday afternoon, preferably as a kind of afterthought at the end of a communication relating to another subject.
    I’m sure they’ll not mention it ever again!

Comment

• Maclintick
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
      The government and other institutions are very keen to be seen to be addressing an issue while hoping that their subsequent failure to actually do anything - even if that were possible - can subsequently be quietly announced late on a Friday afternoon, preferably as a kind of afterthought at the end of a communication relating to another subject.
      ...except when they're not keen to address some important issues at all, for example, when Biden stated an intention to pull out of Afghanistan, leaving Gen. Sir Nick Carter to issue regrets on the Fri before the DofE funeral. No comment from Johnson, Raab, Wallace or any of HMG who might be expected to acknowledge a political bombshell lobbed across The Pond ... I'll get me coat, now. Apologies to football-fans for non-footballing intervention.

Comment

• Mario
        • Aug 2020

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
        Somewhat heartless V....
        I'm not into all that astrological horoscope nonsense, but by all accounts, I'm a typical Libran, and I do try to be fair.

I've just PM'ed vinteuil Jayne, who's usually a light-hearted individual. He mentioned to me that his "ho ho ho" was a sardonic reaction to all the nonsense going on about this football lark (my words not his), and not in response to my post.

So you see, in all respects, all's well with the world again!

Even Woodward has gone!

And so to the enemy on Saturday, and maybe rub their noses in it still further!

Regards,

Mario

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Auferstehen View Post
          And so the soul-searching begins.

Do I go back? Of course, OGS & the players are innocent in all this.

Do I forget everything that’s happened? Like hell I will!

Will my club ever again be able to remove the foul stench attaching to the fact they were ring-leaders in all this? Will fans ever forgive Manchester United FC?

Talk about the club being unpopular with most fans before this – they’re absolutely gonna love us now!

Mario
          In my experience, football fans are generally rather bad at forgiving and forgetting and like to keep a grudge going for decades.

To prove the above point I shall go on about this again: Palace were due a place in Europe having come third in Div 1 in 1990–91 because Liverpool in second place were officially still under a European ban after Heysel. Quote from wiki : "in April 1991 UEFA's Executive Committee voted to allow Liverpool back into European competition from the 1991–92 season onward, a year later than their compatriots, but two years earlier than initially foreseen". Little doubt that UEFA under Lennart Johansson wanted a big team in their Cup and were happy to show leniency and reduce their ban. Thus Liverpool were granted yet another chance of glory and unfashionable Palace lost probably their only chance ever of European participation.

Comment

• Mario
            • Aug 2020

I’m truly sorry to hear this gurnemanz.

In 1991, I was based in Asia, where football coverage was extensive, but hardly ever in English. I was rather busy with work at the time, so I missed this.

I have absolutely no doubt that, given the facts as you presented them, your supposition is correct.

I watched Steve Parrish’s response to the Super League fiasco – not the most coherent of businessmen, is he? Or do Eagles’ fans love him?

Mario
            Last edited by Mario; 21-04-21, 11:00. Reason: Past tense!

Comment

• eighthobstruction
              • Nov 2010

....someone on the Beeb Sports website yest' amassed a list of "mouth watering" games awaited with anticipation by football world {involving the Bad6}....out of 10-15 or so all ended nil - nil....(and no doubt were played between the 2 penalty areas....like Gorecki Symphony #3)....played in sorrow....
              bong ching

Comment

• Mario
                • Aug 2020

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                ....someone on the Beeb Sports website yest' amassed a list of "mouth watering" games awaited with anticipation by football world {involving the Bad6}....out of 10-15 or so all ended nil - nil....(and no doubt were played between the 2 penalty areas....like Gorecki Symphony #3)....
                As usual 8o, your convoluted, triple-somersault with a pike, obtuse and I'm sure very clever humour completely misses me and is way over the top of my head!

2 penalty areas, Gorecki S No 3 - sorry, does not compute.

Mario

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                  • Nov 2010

As usual 8o, your convoluted, triple-somersault with a pike, obtuse and I'm sure very clever humour completely misses me and is way over the top of my head!

2 penalty areas, Gorecki S No 3 - sorry, does not compute.

Mario
                  ....don't get me wrong I like GS3....and if sublime is what you want then it is up there....but it wouldn't be a good sound track to Zidane....It's the way I tell em....
                  Last edited by eighthobstruction; 21-04-21, 11:26.
                  bong ching

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

There's an interesting strapline at the top of the 'From where I sit' column in the May 2021 issue of Gramophone that has just arrived:

If football commentators can get technical, why can't musical ones, asks Edward Seckerson

That's something that I've often wondered.

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                      There's an interesting strapline at the top of the 'From where I sit' column in the May 2021 issue of Gramophone that has just arrived:

If football commentators can get technical, why can't musical ones, asks Edward Seckerson

David Hurwitz seems to have a go!

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                        ....someone on the Beeb Sports website yest' amassed a list of "mouth watering" games awaited with anticipation by football world {involving the Bad6}....out of 10-15 or so all ended nil - nil....(and no doubt were played between the 2 penalty areas....like Gorecki Symphony #3)....played in sorrow....
                        Maybe the players couldn’t be a......ed, after all there’s no relegation involved and it’s only to protect the debts of our greedy bosses!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

That’s a very good point. I’ve never understood why writers of programme notes no longer include musical quotations. I remember hearing Elgar’s “The Kingdom” for the first time, in Manchester in the late 1960s. We were guided through the work by numerous thematic quotations. Nowadays it’s all words.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            Maybe the players couldn’t be a......ed, after all there’s no relegation involved and it’s only to protect the debts of our greedy bosses!
                            ....well indeed....and with only Chinese etc people watching....and the cup shaped like a very large * [asterisk]....<geddit>
                            bong ching

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

I'm not into all that astrological horoscope nonsense, but by all accounts, I'm a typical Libran, and I do try to be fair.

I've just PM'ed vinteuil Jayne, who's usually a light-hearted individual. He mentioned to me that his "ho ho ho" was a sardonic reaction to all the nonsense going on about this football lark (my words not his), and not in response to my post.

So you see, in all respects, all's well with the world again!

Even Woodward has gone!

And so to the enemy on Saturday, and maybe rub their noses in it still further!

Regards,

Mario
                              That'll be Mansfield Town, presumably!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                                Banned
                                • Jul 2011

Just watching John William Henry II apologise to us, the Liverpool fans, on the lunchtime news. Paraphrase "We should have known we could never do it without the support of the fans..."

Manchester United and Liverpool owners apologise to supporters for their involvement in a proposed European Super League.

I feel exultant today. WE DID IT! WE WON!

Anyone who protested - here or other social media, fanzine websites, signed petitions, banners outside stadia, Klopp and the Liverpool players who spoke out quickly, Carra and Neville, managers and other famous footballing figures - we can feel proud. And it was the UK fans who led the way!

I love this beautiful game! It is our game! Let battle be rejoined for footballing honours! Foxes for the Cup! The top four chase continues....and Real v Chelsea, PSG v City...will have their precious, historical resonances after all....

Comment

Working...
                                X