• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
    A wonderful player in a great team.
    The first big game I clearly remember watching was the 1969 cup final, when City beat Leicester. It sort of consolidated my passion for the game which till then ( in rather a non - football household) was restricted mostly to kicking balls against the wall of our suburban semi. My mum just loved the chalk goal posts I put on the brick wall. So anyway, that great City side set me on the right path, and within a year I was a “ proper” terrace fan of my local team.
    Heartwarming to read such glowing personal testimony to Colin Bell, the man, as well as his evident skill. I remember having a football coaching book which had a chapter on how to cross from deep, with Bell as the model to follow.

Last edited by teamsaint; 06-01-21, 18:22.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Rolmill
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      The first big game I clearly remember watching was the 1969 cup final, when City beat Leicester. It sort of consolidated my passion for the game which till then ( in rather a non - football household) was restricted mostly to kicking balls against the wall of our suburban semi.
      It was also the first big game I can remember watching - but as a Leicester boy (watching it in my Grandad's house in the suburbs of the city) its effect on me was less positive! Maybe that's why I became more interested in rugby than football (albeit watching, not playing).

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
        Banned
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Auferstehen View Post
        Re Colin Bell – beautifully put Jayne, I remember him well, as a fine player.

As for Cavani, contextual linguistic differences notwithstanding (as I myself have sometimes found out to my own personal, “non-British”, cost), nevertheless as another Man Utd fan put it on another forum, the Club must take some responsibility in ensuring players’ tweets, texts, etc are properly scrutinised or supervised, particularly foreign players. That word that he used was always sailing close to the wind, and much as we shall miss him, the FA really had no other option open to them.

But we’re still good enough to win without him, aren’t we, I said, AREN’T WE?

Mario
        Well it is always about belief at this level!

Just a last very significant intervention about Cavani.....
        The Uruguayan players’ union has called on the Football Association to overturn Edinson Cavani’s three-game ban for using the word “negrito”

Comment

• Mario
          • Aug 2020

No question that the better team won, although for most of the first half we matched them – if only we had a decent centre forward who can put sitters away instead of that joker Martial, but he’s safe ‘cause Joel (no, I don’t mean Superman’s dad) believes in him.

But seriously, title-contenders? With McGuire in the centre of our defence?

You cannot help but be impressed with the fluidity of Man City’s passing – they always seem to find each other in the right place at the right time. Jayne, this is going to be closer than first thought!

Mario

Comment

• Leinster Lass
            Banned
            • Oct 2020

I had assumed, or hoped - wrongly, as it turns out - that women soccer players had a greater sense of responsibility than their male equivalents - but no! 2 WSL matches have been postponed following trips to the Middle East, at least one of which was reportedly unauthorised. 'Selfish - us?!'

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Auferstehen View Post
              No question that the better team won, although for most of the first half we matched them – if only we had a decent centre forward who can put sitters away instead of that joker Martial, but he’s safe ‘cause Joel (no, I don’t mean Superman’s dad) believes in him.

But seriously, title-contenders? With McGuire in the centre of our defence?

You cannot help but be impressed with the fluidity of Man City’s passing – they always seem to find each other in the right place at the right time. Jayne, this is going to be closer than first thought!

Mario
              Pretty good, honest and honourable summary Mario. Your opponents last night appear to have rediscovered their solidity, the ability to stop the other team playing and then find the killer blow........ with Fernandinho, as so often, at the defensive heart of it all....

The title race is very open, exciting for neutrals but less comfortable for the heart rate of any Reds! What a shame Cavani couldn't have come on in the second half. He may be vital for you as the games progress....

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

This is getting serious, and seriously bizarre.......

Liverpool reach the FA Cup fourth round with a 4-1 win over a Covid-affected Aston Villa - but they are made to work hard by a team that had no first-team experience.

Football at any cost? Oh I'll watch of course; I'm a fan, how could I not, but in a strange atmosphere of heavily borrowed time......

Newcastle boss Steve Bruce says it is "morally wrong" to continue with football amid increasing coronavirus outbreaks at clubs.

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                  This is getting serious, and seriously bizarre.......

Liverpool reach the FA Cup fourth round with a 4-1 win over a Covid-affected Aston Villa - but they are made to work hard by a team that had no first-team experience.

Football at any cost? Oh I'll watch of course; I'm a fan, how could I not, but in a strange atmosphere of heavily borrowed time......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55590296
                  The Owls face Exeter with their coaching team and some players isolating - will be managed by their under 18 coach and presumably whatever players are available. I think Bruce has a point and Lockdown should be applied to football. Is the money in football really more important than the health and potentially lives of the players?

Comment

• Leinster Lass
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2020

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                    The Owls face Exeter with their coaching team and some players isolating - will be managed by their under 18 coach and presumably whatever players are available. I think Bruce has a point and Lockdown should be applied to football. Is the money in football really more important than the health and potentially lives of the players?
                    Apparently the answer to your perfectly reasonable question is 'Yes!', justified by the need to keep people's spirits up.

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Leinster Lass View Post
                      Apparently the answer to your perfectly reasonable question is 'Yes!', justified by the need to keep people's spirits up.
                      I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s spirits are kept up by their team not losing, and most of the time that only happens when they are not playing!

Comment

• johncorrigan
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s spirits are kept up by their team not losing, and most of the time that only happens when they are not playing!

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

I don’t think money has got much to do with why elite football is still running, not least because, in the scale of other commerce, football isn’t in general( certainly outside the PL) terribly big business.
                          ( apparently plenty of supermarket Branches turn over £50m PA, which will be much higher than the local Championship club.)

Much more to do with bread and circuses ,IMO. And given some of the madness going on right now, such as people getting fined for going for a walk a few miles from home, keeping crowd - free football going seems to me to be one of the less mad things .
                          Just IMHO obviously.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Leinster Lass
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2020

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            I don’t think money has got much to do with why elite football is still running, not least because, in the scale of other commerce, football isn’t in general( certainly outside the PL) terribly big business.
                            ( apparently plenty of supermarket Branches turn over £50m PA, which will be much higher than the local Championship club.)

Much more to do with bread and circuses ,IMO. And given some of the madness going on right now, such as people getting fined for going for a walk a few miles from home, keeping crowd - free football going seems to me to be one of the less mad things .
                            Just IMHO obviously.
                            If you need a car to reach the location of your exercise, can that exercise really be 'local' ? Aren't most people well within 5 miles of a footpath, park or other suitable facility area?

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Leinster Lass View Post
                              If you need a car to reach the location of your exercise, can that exercise really be 'local' ? Aren't most people well within 5 miles of a footpath, park or other suitable facility area?
                              It is madness.
                              And not actually the main point of my post.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Well, what about Chorley? Not that I’m a fan, but maybe Stockport County can do the same on Monday.

Comment

Working...
                                X