X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
    Timing was never our strongest asset cloughers ......
    I’m just hoping for the ‘new manager bounce’ at the weekend.

Comment

• antongould
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

.....hope so cloughers ......

Comment

• Edgy 2
        • Jan 2019

“Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

We got bounced in Tel Aviv...'it's not the despair that kills you, it's the hope!'

Comment

• eighthobstruction
            • Nov 2010

....I don't know if I am in a lachrymose mood today, but I had a little cry during the Football Focus memories of RAY CLEMENCE....great player....
            bong ching

Comment

• LezLee
              • Apr 2019

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
              ....I don't know if I am in a lachrymose mood today, but I had a little cry during the Football Focus memories of RAY CLEMENCE....great player....
              Not just a great player but a lovely man.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

Great respect to Great Ray... great results, great trophies.....! Such a big part of my life in the 70s and 80s.

So great to have the Prem back - star attraction looks like Spurs v City today....
                According to the online guide, Liverpool v Leicester is on the Sky Sports channels, 19:15 Sunday.

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

I don't know if the topic has already been covered in this thread but, whilst someone with less than no interest in football, I regard the current stance on heading as bordering on lunacy; it should surely ensure the imposition of an outright ban on it until such time as sufficient research on its adverse impacts has been carried out rather than a reduction in its use. Anyone who knows far more about the sport than I do have any thoughts on this?

Comment

• johncorrigan
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                    I don't know if the topic has already been covered in this thread but, whilst someone with less than no interest in football, I regard the current stance on heading as bordering on lunacy; it should surely ensure the imposition of an outright ban on it until such time as sufficient research on its adverse impacts has been carried out rather than a reduction in its use. Anyone who knows far more about the sport than I do have any thoughts on this?
                    I suppose it's a hard one as heading is such a crucial part of the game, ahinton. I was interested in Geoff Hurst's comments during the week following the dementia issues around the Charltons, Nobby Stiles and a couple of the other England World Cup winners, as well the likes of Celtic's European Cup Captain, Billy McNeill. Sir Geoff said that he did very little heading in an actual game, whereas in training they used to do lots of heading, and he suggested it should be looked at in that context; that heading should be avoided in training. Another issue is that balls back in the 60s might well have been right heavy...I recall at school heading a sodden cudger right on the lace and it just about flattening me. But it is a tough issue. Essentially you'd have to have the ball not able to be played above shoulder height. I think there will be a lot of booting the ball into the long grass in the years ahead, unless, I imagine, there is some kind of lawsuit against the footie authorities. That might shift things.

Comment

• antongould
                      • Nov 2010

Toon 0 Chelsea 2
                      Yeovil 1 Hangers 3

Could be Bruce after Pullis cloughers ..
                      week of stress in case Jack Palance bought Yeovil ......

Comment

• johncorrigan
                        • Nov 2010

Glad to hear about Hartlepool, anton. Three points for the Buddies makes Big Jim's coat peg slightly less shoogly this evening...also, it seems the Buddies are not going to get a covid penalty after the two postponed games, so good news all round. Second from bottom but 4 points clear of the bottom mob and with a few games in hand on the teams above.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                          I suppose it's a hard one as heading is such a crucial part of the game, ahinton. I was interested in Geoff Hurst's comments during the week following the dementia issues around the Charltons, Nobby Stiles and a couple of the other England World Cup winners, as well the likes of Celtic's European Cup Captain, Billy McNeill. Sir Geoff said that he did very little heading in an actual game, whereas in training they used to do lots of heading, and he suggested it should be looked at in that context; that heading should be avoided in training. Another issue is that balls back in the 60s might well have been right heavy...I recall at school heading a sodden cudger right on the lace and it just about flattening me. But it is a tough issue. Essentially you'd have to have the ball not able to be played above shoulder height. I think there will be a lot of booting the ball into the long grass in the years ahead, unless, I imagine, there is some kind of lawsuit against the footie authorities. That might shift things.
                          ....yes that generation were playing a fast paced game, with a ball probably double if not more than a modern ball....certainly the issue of children heading should be addressed as scrummaging and tackling were in rugby....
                          bong ching

Comment

• antongould
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                            Glad to hear about Hartlepool, anton. Three points for the Buddies makes Big Jim's coat peg slightly less shoogly this evening...also, it seems the Buddies are not going to get a covid penalty after the two postponed games, so good news all round. Second from bottom but 4 points clear of the bottom mob and with a few games in hand on the teams above.
                            Shamefully missed your result JC ..... just what the doctor ordered ....

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

....yes that generation were playing a fast paced game, with a ball probably double if not more than a modern ball....certainly the issue of children heading should be addressed as scrummaging and tackling were in rugby....
                              Started as a boy winger when the lacers were still about .... towards the end of the game in rain and hence mud they were like blocks of cement ..... by the time I became a plodding defender and had to head high punts you had plastic coating but it could still hurt ...... IMVVHO there has to be a causal link ....

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                                Toon 0 Chelsea 2
                                Yeovil 1 Hangers 3

Could be Bruce after Pullis cloughers ..
                                week of stress in case Jack Palance bought Yeovil ......
                                Nah he had his chance - seems like we could get a result if only we could keep 11 on the field - dismissals and injuries or injuries every match - why do we bother anton?

Comment

Working...
                                X