X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
    Sorry to hear about the passing of that mighty fine goalkeeper, Ray Clemence. Mind you, up here he is always remembered for having been nutmeged by King Kenny on one of those few occasions when Scotland managed to overcome the Auld Enemy.*

* That's England, by the way.
    I always thought Clemence was better than Shilts....till Shilts joined us !! He was a great keeper in some brilliant teams. It can’t be long since he was on the tv, surely?

A key member of the Liverpool team that gave my most enjoyable non- Saints night in club football, the 1977 European Cup final.

A sad day for English football.

( JC, I remember that day clearly. I was on a practice Duke of Edinburgh camp, and heard the whole thing in horrifying mono on my trusty transistor radio......)

Last edited by teamsaint; 15-11-20, 20:32.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

Ray Clemence was a great keeper with a great record.....
      As for Shilts, another great for sure but - hopeless at saving penalties....never seemed to think it out really.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
        Banned
        • Jul 2011

Terrible ball from Dier for the goal.....just lazy .......no fan of hothead Pickford here, but not really his fault......

Think I'll follow online comms, hear Feedback ​and rejoin for the 2nd half or so....

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          Terrible ball from Dier for the goal.....just lazy .......no fan of hothead Pickford here, but not really his fault......

Think I'll follow online comms, hear Feedback ​and rejoin for the 2nd half or so....
          Good stuff so far, despite the rather soft goal.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Good game so far, with both teams going for it at full tilt. England have come really well into the game, but are paying the price for a soft mistake, and giving away a freekickick in a dangerous area. Everything is on the next goal.
            Great to see Mount and Grealish with lots of responsibilty. This will be a big learning game for them. Belgium are really worried about Grealish, all over him, but he has to learn to deal with that. He’s done pretty well so far, but Belgium have been excellent at the back.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Zucchini
              https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/pete...spieler/101383

Be fair - he did save 2. His mum didn't like him getting dirty.

Not looking good for us is it? New strikers on but no real invention or penetration... all a little predictable.......Belgium organised, waiting for the counter....
              Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 16-11-20, 01:58.

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Went out for a walk so damned boring was it.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Hmmmm...I was glued to it. Southgate must have a lot to think about after that. Belgium got off very lighty for some pretty rough treatment of Grealish, who showed beyond doubt that he belongs at this level, and can thrive in the best company. England had a bad night with fluffing the chances they did create, and against Belgium they were never going to get lots of them.Plenty of positives for England, Saka looked very dangerous and combined well with Grealish. Mount looks every bit a quality international, but somehow Southgate has to get more out of his wingbacks and CBs.
                  Is Sterling/ Kane / Grealish ( or Mount ) the answer ? Or can Mount or Grealish drop back and give enough cover whilst adding some creativity to the centre of midfield ?

And yes, I absolutely love watching Grealish play. Pure football pleasure.
                  Last edited by teamsaint; 15-11-20, 23:02.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

So now its Germany's turn to be on the wrong end of one of these bizarre 2020 (but not only 2020) scorelines....

Even Bayern lost 1-4 to Hoffenheim in September, so...,

England? Big yes to Grealish, absolutely, but England - tactics, organisation - not so much. Too slow too predictable, Kane overworked...
                    But like so many of us now, depleted by injuries....

Fascinating piece on Neil Ruddock today....bit scary at times....

Usually insightful analysis of England's woes from Ronay...
                    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 17-11-20, 22:45.

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

Tonight - ASTONISHING result - Spain 6-0 Germany!!!

Comment

• Leinster Lass
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2020

Originally posted by dracom View Post
                        tonight - astonishing result - spain 6-0 germany!!!
                        These were false goals - the German goalmouth was 3 feet wider and 2 feet higher than the Spanish one (and the referee has had lots of holidays in Spain). This result cannot stand !!!

Comment

• antongould
                          • Nov 2010

Hangers 0 Wrexham 1

Hello relegation my old friend ........

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                            Hangers 0 Wrexham 1

Hello relegation my old friend ........
                            Bad time to play Wrexham after they’ve just got their sugardaddies!

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              Bad time to play Wrexham after they’ve just got their sugardaddies!
                              Timing was never our strongest asset cloughers ......

Comment

• Edgy 2
                                • Jan 2019

Well I suppose it's good that some of the teams around us are dropping points while we are covided
                                “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

Working...
                                X