X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Auferstehen View Post
    When you told me in message 4183 that Ipswich Town (the Tractor Boys) was your team, I resisted the temptation to remind you of THAT scoreline. I remember that day well. I was living in West Sussex (near Hove-actually), with an ex-girlfriend, watching the scoreline increasing.

I also said, in message 4270 (don’t know how to quote from various messages, sorry), that I don’t take any enjoyment from teams getting slaughtered. Fergie himself once said that it isn’t necessary to humiliate the opposition, ‘cause one day, it could happen to you. And yet, we’re the ones who’re supposed to be arrogant…

At any rate, LMcD, it was 4th March 1975, in case you wanted to know.

Mario
    No it wasn't!
    We did lose 1-0 at home to ******* United on 1st March 1975 and on the 6th drew 0-0 with ***** United in the quarter-finals of the FA Cup.

Did you move from Manchester to HoveActually or vice-versa?

(To reply to previous messages, go the message concerned and click on 'Reply With Quote')
    Last edited by LMcD; 07-10-20, 08:34.

Comment

• antongould
      • Nov 2010

Chesterfield 1 Hangers 2 ....... there is a rumour Joe Coral has stopped taking bets ........

Comment

• Mario
        • Aug 2020

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
        No it wasn't!
        We did lose 1-0 at home to ******* United on 1st March 1975 and on the 6th drew 0-0 with ***** United in the quarter-finals of the FA Cup.

(To reply to previous messages, go the message concerned and click on 'Reply With Quote')
        You are right and I was wrong! I should've checked my figures. It was 4th March 1995!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manche...swich_Town_F.C.

Apologies,

Mario

Comment

• Mario
          • Aug 2020

No it wasn't!

Nope! London – HoveActually – London, then abroad.

Never lived in Manchester in my life, so…

Typical Man Utd fan, see?

Mario

Comment

• eighthobstruction
            • Nov 2010

....don't humiliate the opposition??....play out 45 minutes of training ground boring plod stolid plod ....don't humiliate the opposition, but bore the £50 fans beyond the level that even their pie will cheer not them up....Ppwshhhhhh
            bong ching

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Nope! London – HoveActually – London, then abroad.

Never lived in Manchester in my life, so…

Typical Man Utd fan, see?

Mario

The first match I attended at Portman Road was a 0-0 draw against Middlesbrough towards the end of the 1960-1961 season. I was lucky enough to be there when they won the 1st Division title just over a year later at the first attempt - an achievement apparently forgotten when everybody was heaping praise on Leicester City recently. My interest is now mainly confined to bracing myself for the Tractor Boys' latest result via the BBC Red Button service, which I'm pleased to say has been reprieved.

Dare I suggest that, given England's World Cup results under Alf Ramsey and Bobbie Robson, the FA might like to look towards Suffolk when Southgate's lot fail to bring home a trophy?

When I was living/studying in Southampton, I attended quite a few matches at The Dell. During a match against ********* United, the chap next to me cheered when the visitors scored. 'Oh, are you from *********?' I asked. 'No', he replied, 'it's just that I REALLY hate Southampton'.

Comment

• Mario
                • Aug 2020

The first match I attended at Portman Road was a 0-0 draw against Middlesbrough towards the end of the 1960-1961 season. I was lucky enough to be there when they won the 1st Division title just over a year later at the first attempt - an achievement apparently forgotten when everybody was heaping praise on Leicester City recently. My interest is now mainly confined to bracing myself for the Tractor Boys' latest result via the BBC Red Button service, which I'm pleased to say has been reprieved.

Dare I suggest that, given England's World Cup results under Alf Ramsey and Bobbie Robson, the FA might like to look towards Suffolk when Southgate's lot fail to bring home a trophy?

When I was living/studying in Southampton, I attended quite a few matches at The Dell. During a match against ********* United, the chap next to me cheered when the visitors scored. 'Oh, are you from *********?' I asked. 'No', he replied, 'it's just that I REALLY hate Southampton'.
                Ouch! Mind you, I did hear of Man Utd fans cheering when Van Gaal's team lost - such was the hatred towards the dire football he was insisting on playing.

LMcD, I'm old enough to remember those days you mention. While people talk about Ole being unsuitable to managing Fulham never mind Man Utd (that's The Sun talking, not me), then how Southgate became national coach is beyond me - wasn't he sacked from Middlesbrough?

Mario

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

Ouch! Mind you, I did hear of Man Utd fans cheering when Van Gaal's team lost - such was the hatred towards the dire football he was insisting on playing.

LMcD, I'm old enough to remember those days you mention. While people talk about Ole being unsuitable to managing Fulham never mind Man Utd (that's The Sun talking, not me), then how Southgate became national coach is beyond me - wasn't he sacked from Middlesbrough?

Mario
                  He was sacked in October 2009 2 hours after a home win left them 4th in the Coca Cola Championship, 1 point behind the leaders. 'It's grim up North'

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

I’m sure ts’ explanation would be he was a Pompey fan!

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      We weren't allowed to talk to them!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

AFC Fylde

Following AFC Fylde's grossly unfair relegation last season from the Vanarama National League (when all the results were initially expunged then a change of strategy by the League) the owner sacked the assistant manager when the manager Jim Bentley was ill in hospital following a heart problem.

Now in the Vanarama National League North during the close season virtually a whole team (12 players I think) has been dispensed with and generally replaced by older players. Good idea, as I think more experienced professionals will be needed this season. One new signing is David Perkins aged 38 which is extremely old for a midfield player. He has a career of 700 appearances and came from Tranmere Rovers.

First game of season - FA Cup match - Saturday 3rd October
                        Hyde Utd 2 v AFC Fylde 4

First League match of season - Tuesday 6th October
                        AFC Fylde 1 v Darlington FC 0

A 100% record in league and cup - How long will that last ???
                        Last edited by Stanfordian; 07-10-20, 15:41.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                          Quite unlucky, and statistically unlikely to actually bump into one of the “ Blue Few”

Mind you, at that time there were still “ Scumpies”.....people who had season tickets at both clubs. I don’t suppose there are many left.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Gareth Southgate has reminded England players of their responsibilities.
                            Not before time.

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Gareth Southgate has reminded England players of their responsibilities.
                              Not before time.
                              Yes, need to go back to the standards both on and off the field of the 2018 World Cup.

Comment

• LMcD
                                • Sep 2017

Most of them are OAFS (Overpaid Arrogant Football 'Stars') who don't seem to be able to conduct themselves with even the remotest sense of social awareness. They're also rubbish at winning major tournaments. 2020-1966 =
                                Apparently Premier League teams have once again outspent every (other) major European league - let's hope they get value for money!

Comment

Working...
                                X