X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    ...and of course you have the 'fallen giants' clash with Coventry in the FA Cup tomorrow!
    This is certainly going to be a match that will go down in the history of the 'bootiful game', as I believe that it may well be the first time that 2 teams that have BOTH previously won the FA Cup JUST ONCE, AND within 10 years of each other, AND in years ending in a combination of the numbers 7 and 8 have met in a 2nd round match at a neutral ground.

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
      This is certainly going to be a match that will go down in the history of the 'bootiful game', as I believe that it may well be the first time that 2 teams that have BOTH previously won the FA Cup JUST ONCE, AND within 10 years of each other, AND in years ending in a combination of the numbers 7 and 8 have met in a 2nd round match at a neutral ground.
      You don't set pub quiz questions as a sideline, by any chance?

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
        You don't set pub quiz questions as a sideline, by any chance?
        I have been known to set the odd quiz in my time, and used to compile a general knowledge crossword for the in-house company journal. I was merely pointing out, in my customary, mildly droll, non-confrontational way, that there are soccer teams outside 2 large towns in Lancashire. I might possibly also have commented on the lack of home-grown players and managers in the Premier League, but remembered just in time that our current manager was born in Scotland.

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

I have been known to set the odd quiz in my time, and used to compile a general knowledge crossword for the in-house company journal. I was merely pointing out, in my customary, mildly droll, non-confrontational way, that there are soccer teams outside 2 large towns in Lancashire. I might possibly also have commented on the lack of home-grown players and managers in the Premier League, but remembered just in time that our current manager was born in Scotland.

I wasn't having a dig.
          But I do now wonder which large Lancashire towns you can possibly mean, after Bury's woes.
          Preston, Bolton, Burnley, Blackburn?
          Even they might dispute being towns, Preston being a city and Blackburn having a cathedral (not necessarily giving it city status though).

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

I wasn't having a dig.
            I didn't think you were....It could be said that my 'career' as a follower of Ipswich Town peaked early when I watched them win the 'old' Division 1 table in 1962 (at the first attempt, Leicester City fans please note). I was moved to write an article for the school magazine, which the headmaster allowed the editor to include , saying: 'Well, we ARE principally a rugby-playing school, but it IS quite well written'. He might be pleased to know that the sports which we watch most often these days are Rugby Union and Lawn Tennis
            I used to go to The Dell fairly regularly when I worked and then studied in Southampton. It's hard to believe now that fans were told to pack more tightly so that those still queuing to get in could see the match.
            (Just seen your query re. large Lancashire towns. In these parts, any place with more than about 20,000 inhabitants comes under the heading of 'Megalopolis', and the concept of unitary authorities and places whose names begin with 'Greater' has never really taken on. I'm assuming that Manchester has not yet declared UDI and Liverpool has not yet gone up-market and been absorbed into Cheshire - where most of the team probably live.)
            Blackburn may not be a city, but it does have 4000 holes.
            Last edited by LMcD; 01-12-19, 12:15.

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

I wasn't having a dig.
              But I do now wonder which large Lancashire towns you can possibly mean, after Bury's woes.
              Preston, Bolton, Burnley, Blackburn?
              Even they might dispute being towns, Preston being a city and Blackburn having a cathedral (not necessarily giving it city status though).
              Crystal Palace isn't a town but a very large greenhouse which isn't there any more. Luckily, the football team of the same name has returned to winning ways and confounded (eg Lawro's) predictions and won away at one of those Lancashire towns. ....Europe, here we come.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                Crystal Palace isn't a town but a very large greenhouse which isn't there any more. Luckily, the football team of the same name has returned to winning ways and confounded (eg Lawro's) predictions and won away at one of those Lancashire towns. ....Europe, here we come.
                Steady now! Though you are faring better than Coventry who like Palace jumped a couple of divisions at around the same time in the 60s!

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

I didn't think you were....It could be said that my 'career' as a follower of Ipswich Town peaked early when I watched them win the 'old' Division 1 table in 1962 (at the first attempt, Leicester City fans please note). I was moved to write an article for the school magazine, which the headmaster allowed the editor to include , saying: 'Well, we ARE principally a rugby-playing school, but it IS quite well written'. He might be pleased to know that the sports which we watch most often these days are Rugby Union and Lawn Tennis
                  I used to go to The Dell fairly regularly when I worked and then studied in Southampton. It's hard to believe now that fans were told to pack more tightly so that those still queuing to get in could see the match.
                  (Just seen your query re. large Lancashire towns. In these parts, any place with more than about 20,000 inhabitants comes under the heading of 'Megalopolis', and the concept of unitary authorities and places whose names begin with 'Greater' has never really taken on. I'm assuming that Manchester has not yet declared UDI and Liverpool has not yet gone up-market and been absorbed into Cheshire - where most of the team probably live.)
                  Blackburn may not be a city,but it does have 4000 holes.
                  They had to count them all and no doubt Boris has promised to fill them!

Comment

• antongould
                    • Nov 2010

Amazingly the boys still seem to be living the dream ......

Exeter 2 Hangers 2 ....... from two down ...... !!!!!!

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

Brendan and his Foxes march on - how var can they go, Alison?

Comment

• Alison
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                        Brendan and his Foxes march on - how var can they go, Alison?
                        Fantastic. I fancy that was the right VAR decision yet overall thought we were a bit lucky.

Poor old Silva, his poor face after decision. Please don’t sack him.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2011

Very close call on the Foxes' winner, didn't see the in-line angle, but you trust the Vid & it certainly makes Boxing Day more interesting....!

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                            Amazingly the boys still seem to be living the dream ......

Exeter 2 Hangers 2 ....... from two down ...... !!!!!!

Comment

• johncorrigan
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                              Fantastic. I fancy that was the right VAR decision yet overall thought we were a bit lucky.

Poor old Silva, his poor face after decision. Please don’t sack him.
                              There seems to be a swell of opinion that Brendan is the guy for the Arsenal job. I think he would be crazy to move so quick after the impact he has made with Leicester...but it's a funny old game, as we will all attest!

Comment

• Alison
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                                There seems to be a swell of opinion that Brendan is the guy for the Arsenal job. I think he would be crazy to move so quick after the impact he has made with Leicester...but it's a funny old game, as we will all attest!
                                He didn’t exactly rule it out in his Sky Interview ..... his focus was with Leicester ‘at the moment’!

Comment

Working...
                                X