• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
    Safe at last....
    Well done Saints!
    Looks like some game today..!. I'll catch up on MotD....
    Thanks Jayne. Yes, safe with two games to go didnt seem too likely in November, and much to reflect and work on over the summer.
    The game pretty much went as you might expect, with two teams stonger in attack than defence,and a great duel between two smart managers.
    Saints grabbed the initiative and threatened to tear Bompey apart for 20 minutes. Ralf went for a surprise 4 at the back , possibly injury forced, and the extra man in midfield paid dividends. Howe retalliated by taking off a defender early on, and reinforcing midfield, which was significant in turning the game round. Bournemouth gave us a torrid 20 minutes until the break.
    Next move was Ralf’s, moving Bertie to CB and bringing on Targett for Romeu. Saints were pretty dominant from then on. An astute finish from the superb Ward Prowse, ( very reminiscent of one of the Man City goals against United) and a header from Targett got us in front, and we looked pretty secure until some sloppy play from Armstrong let Bournemouth in for a well finished equaliser. Saints ran the clock down reckoning that a point was a good days work, everybody went home happy.
    Moan of the day. I’d love to see 10 minute sin bins for the sort of yellow card offence that stops significant attacks, with no attempt at all to play the ball. Two bad ones by Bournemouth today, none from us, though I think JWP was guilty of one in midweek.
    Excellent entertainment, and a fun way to reach safety.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
      Thanks guys

Nuneaton 0 Stockport County 3

Fanbloodytastic,6 long years of hurt in the 6th tier,first league title since 1967,an away following today that even some premier league clubs would be proud of (3,450 out of a just over 4K attendance).
      Hopefully this is the start of the journey back to the football league.
      Glad Southampton are safe,and looks like Brighton will be just about ok after today so win win for BBM.
      In non league pleased that Wrexham and Chelmsford are in the playoffs,sorry to see Truro relegated.
      I enjoyed the Hartlepool result a lot.

One for each of the six years. I thought it was about 3.......

Good day for the league old boys today, with Orient clambering back into the FL,and Torquay emulating Stockport.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Some great news while I've been gone...congrats to Stockport... marvellous stuff!
        Terrific news about Southern Saints too.
        The Buddies nicked a point today which added to the three last week puts them almost safe from the automatic drop, so it's hopefully between us and Hamilton to see who can avoid the relegation play-offs. Although we're two points back we've got it in our own hands although as they say, it's not the despair that gets you, it's the hope!

While I was on the west coast very sad to see the death of that giant of Scottish football, Celtic's Billy McNeill, the first British captain to lift the European Cup. A one-club player and a player respected by all sides up here. Unfortunately Dementia took him in the end - too much heading? Saw him score the last-minute winner v Vojvodina in the quarter finals in '67. Rest in Peace Big Man!

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
          Thanks guys

Nuneaton 0 Stockport County 3

Fanbloodytastic,6 long years of hurt in the 6th tier,first league title since 1967,an away following today that even some premier league clubs would be proud of (3,450 out of a just over 4K attendance).
          Hopefully this is the start of the journey back to the football league.
          Glad Southampton are safe,and looks like Brighton will be just about ok after today so win win for BBM.
          In non league pleased that Wrexham and Chelmsford are in the playoffs,sorry to see Truro relegated.
          I enjoyed the Hartlepool result a lot.
          Great result for County - firmly heading back to the big time!

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

Palace - Everton was dire by all accounts. Our son went with a mate who was over from Oz. 50 quid that could have been better spent. Sure to be last on MotD.

Comment

• Edgy 2
              • Jan 2019

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              Great result for County - firmly heading back to the big time!
              “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

A draw between my two teams playing against each other. Usually The Seagulls beat TheYoon. Ended up being a draw instead this time.
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

...still 0-0 at Turf Moor...God this is agony... I might go and sit in (what there is of) the weak, milky sun and just wait...

Damn.... wish I hadn't looked now...

Anyone disliking VAR should consider how important GLT was today.... a premiership potentially decided by - what, 2 or 3cm?

So it goes.... it's quiet here now, but there's still hope (and a rather important date in Spain on Wednesday...)
                  Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 28-04-19, 16:01.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                    ...still 0-0 at Turf Moor...God this is agony... I might go and sit in (what there is of) the weak, milky sun and just wait...

Damn.... wish I hadn't looked now...

Anyone disliking VAR should consider how important GLT was today.... a premiership potentially decided by - what, 2 or 3cm?

So it goes.... it's quiet here now, but there's still hope (and a rather important date in Spain on Wednesday...)
                    Still all to play for, and City looked nervous first half. Remember an almost - safe Saints took city to injury time before conceding in the final game of last season. Perhaps a relieved BHA could trip them up .

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

I'm looking forward to seeing Vardi's route 1 goal on MOTD2 this evening. What is it that makes a manager bring the best out of a player - seems Jamie's the top scorer in the PL since Puel's departure. Curious, innit!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

I note that my Highland League team (Fort William) has ended the season with minus 7 points.
                        My Lowland League team (Selkirk) has ended the season with zero points (having played no games).

Otherwise, it's been a great season. Stockport County and Torquay United promoted. Manchester City nearly there (though on the old system, Liverpool would be on top). Sheffield United promoted. Wimbledon's survival looking more likely.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

I hope Liverpool will win this year. Be a change I think. Plus at Castle Plantagenet, at least MrsBBM will be pleased if they do!
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• johncorrigan
                            • Nov 2010

After the death of Billy McNeill last week, the Lisbon Lions lost another of their number today with the death of Stevie Chalmers who scored the European Cup winner in 1967. Like his Captain, Chalmers also had dementia.
                            Scoring the winning goal in the European cup final in 1967, it was the first time a British side lifted the trophy. Source: WikipediaThomas Stephen Chalmers ...

Comment

• antongould
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                              After the death of Billy McNeill last week, the Lisbon Lions lost another of their number today with the death of Stevie Chalmers who scored the European Cup winner in 1967. Like his Captain, Chalmers also had dementia.
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8nh_PZXz_o
                              All very sad JC ......

Comment

• Edgy 2
                                • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                                I note that my Highland League team (Fort William) has ended the season with minus 7 points.
                                My Lowland League team (Selkirk) has ended the season with zero points (having played no games).

Otherwise, it's been a great season. Stockport County and Torquay United promoted. Manchester City nearly there (though on the old system, Liverpool would be on top). Sheffield United promoted. Wimbledon's survival looking more likely.
                                Thumbs up to some of this post
                                “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

Working...
                                X