X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lat-Literal
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
    And don't forget 'Big League' where you pulled the leg back and let go so it would ping the ball. I think they came unpainted.
    Well, I'm not sure about that to be frank Beef. I was at Whyteleafe and Carshalton from time to time. Very young. About nine but regarded as a prodigy. Hodgson and Houghton were flitting around - living together actually - then they went off to Sweden and we distanced ourselves because of the rumours around their move there. I went more to journalism tbh. I'm not saying any of it was well-founded as in a Donald Trump thing but it was a bit odd that they were nobodies and went to where the industry, so to speak, was. One never returned.

This went overlooked by the press, probably because it coincidentally coincided with the day when it was all the BBC and Jim etc. It somewhat changed my mind on England's history. He started the change towards a more polite and respectful age, for which I have given him credit, but very arguably only Gareth Southgate could have completed the task genuinely:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I think that successfully concludes this section of banter.
    Last edited by Lat-Literal; 11-07-18, 23:16.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Now all we have to do is wait to play Belgium on Saturday. 3rd place would be better than 4th.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
        • Nov 2010

....Hmmmm yes second loser has a ring to it....fab, i bet they are all looking forward to that....all the players who haven't played will play no doubt.....jeez i cannot think of anything worse....wheres the morphine....Poldark might be better....i might cut out some silhouette puppets and reinact one or two of the Wars of the Roses....blaa blaa.....GOD imagine if it is 1!-1! at 90 minutes....bring on the sick bucket....
        bong ching

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
          ...i might cut out some silhouette puppets and reinact one or two of the Wars of the Roses....blaa blaa
          Oriwargami, ?

Two days of airborne killing machines working at Fairfield for me.
          Two weeks, Wickam festival, punctuated by the odd prom, and back to the football.
          Last edited by teamsaint; 12-07-18, 07:43.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
            • Aug 2015

So did England come third or fourth in 1990?

Under the great Bobby Robson.....we only ever do well with greats : Ramsey, Robson, Southgate : I'd be prepared to extend that to Venables.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by lat-literal View Post
              so did england come third or fourth in 1990?

Under the great bobby robson.....we only ever do well with greats : Ramsey, robson, southgate : I'd be prepared to extend that to venables.
              Hoddle !!!

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                So frustrating. We had it in our hands. And their manager knew it.

We lost for two reasons.

First, we had nothing in the last 25 yards except for Sterling's inane, noodling that congested everything, allowed no openings and gifted the Croat defence with regrouping at every attack. This meant that we had no options for our most potent weapon - Harry Kane.

Second, we had real stinkers from creative midfield like Alli and Lingard. Absolute stinkers.

In short, we let them off the hook.

Well done Croatia for sticking with it - I hope they beat France on Sunday.
                I thought that we lost because the other side scored more goals.
                As for the 3rd-place play-off...I wonder how many teams that have come third in the World Cup people can name without googling. A pure guess on my part: Portugal in 1966?
                Two terrific matches yesterday with the outcome in doubt until the very end - Anderson v Federer and Isner versus Raonic. True sporting magic in spades.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                  Two terrific matches yesterday with the outcome in doubt until the very end - Anderson v Federer and Isner versus Raonic. True sporting magic in spades.
                  Here you go.

I see that St Mirren have a new goalkeeper. Hope he is a good'un, JC
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

We done ourselves proud, the England team have. We can hold our heads up with pride.

My other country France, I hope will beat Croatia.
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

I thought that we lost because the other side scored more goals.
                      As for the 3rd-place play-off...I wonder how many teams that have come third in the World Cup people can name without googling. A pure guess on my part: Portugal in 1966?
                      Italy in 1990.

Belgium in 2018. The game's been called off at the request of Belgium, who beat us by a whisker in the qualifiers. They just had to say, "We won; you lost; get over it."

Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 12-07-18, 15:19.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                        • Aug 2015

Someone pointed out today that the 3rd place play off had been dropped in the Euros.

The same person pointed out that it would have more meaning if the first, second and third teams qualified automatically for the next world cup.

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

The way the World Cup is going, one day there'll be so many teams playing in 'the finals' that just about every country in the world will qualify!

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                            • Aug 2015

The way the World Cup is going, one day there'll be so many teams playing in 'the finals' that just about every country in the world will qualify!
                            This is true, yes.

I would especially support the idea of Arsene Wenger leading an African nation to a first ever World Cup final in '22. At one time, a future African role was not ruled out by him. While there are obvious footballing contenders - Cameroon, Nigeria, Senegal etc have all had good tournaments - the long shot is Liberia given his personal connections with President Weah.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                              Someone pointed out today that the 3rd place play off had been dropped in the Euros.

The same person pointed out that it would have more meaning if the first, second and third teams qualified automatically for the next world cup.
                              ....good idea....
                              bong ching

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                                Do keep up, Lat. It was dropped 38 years ago!

Comment

Working...
                                X