X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Brian Matthew 1928-2017

Brian Matthew has died. He will be remembered by those of us of a certain age for his stewardship of Saturday Club in the 60s, then one of the few BBC's only proper live pop music shows, where the top groups and soloists of the day had the opportunity to perform their new releases live. The longevity of his career in Sounds of the Sixties spoke volumes for his style and calm delivery. RIP Brian.
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

One of those wonderful, "inviting" R2 voices - always seemed to be urging the listener towards the Music, not towards the presenter.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• gurnemanz
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      Brian Matthew has died. He will be remembered by those of us of a certain age for his stewardship of Saturday Club in the 60s, then one of the few BBC's only proper live pop music shows, where the top groups and soloists of the day had the opportunity to perform their new releases live. The longevity of his career in Sounds of the Sixties spoke volumes for his style and calm delivery. RIP Brian.
      I echo all that. More like "the only" rather than "one of the few", as I remember. It came on after Uncle Mac's Children's Favourites. In those early days Auntie BBC hardly acknowledged pop music at all - you had to tune to Radio Luxembourg with lousy reception on MW 208.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
        • Aug 2015

RIP Brian Matthew.

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          Well said cloughers ....

Comment

• gradus
            • Nov 2010

My feelings too.

Comment

Working...
            X