X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

Peter Skellern has died

Peter Skellern, who was ordained as a priest last year, had a hit in 1972 with You're A Lady.

RIP
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

How terribly sad to see him go. His use of brass was brilliant and his albums such as Astaire, String of Pearls and Oasis duetting with Mary Hopkin were wonderful.

RIP Peter.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

RIP. You’re A Lady was a part of my childhood.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
        RIP. You’re A Lady was a part of my childhood.
        Ditto.

Sad news.

It was news had been coming for a long time.

Some interesting early arrangements:

Manifesto - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpHtc_fmIFw

And this was his most moving moment at the tail end of punk just before it all went rather awkward:

I could easily place it alongside The Clash and The Men They Couldn't Hang if I were so minded.

There will always be accusations of schmaltz but as time moves on perhaps schmaltz needs revisiting.

A red rose RIP with memories from before and after the miners' strikes.
        Last edited by Lat-Literal; 18-02-17, 02:02.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
          Ditto.

Sad news.

It was news had been coming for a long time.

Some interesting early arrangements:

Manifesto - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpHtc_fmIFw

And this was his most moving moment at the tail end of punk just before it all went rather awkward:

I could easily place it alongside The Clash and The Men They Couldn't Hang if I were so minded.

There will always be accusations of schmaltz but as time moves on perhaps schmaltz needs revisiting.

A red rose RIP with memories from before and after the miners' strikes.
          But it's tasteful inventive schmaltz, wonderful arrangements and sound blends. I don't know about revisiting - has it ever been away, although in PS' case his recordings are not easily available.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

From their self-titled album, the Cole Porter song "True Love" performed by Oasis. Released in 1984. Personnel for the album: Peter Skellern (vocals, keyb...

and he even did justice to Buddy!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
          X