• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

Alec McCowen RIP

Alec McCowen RIP

Actor who played the sleuth in the Hitchcock film Frenzy and took his one-man performance of St Mark’s Gospel to the West End and Broadway

Actor who played the sleuth in the Hitchcock film Frenzy and took his one-man performance of St Mark’s Gospel to the West End and Broadway
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

A wonderful actor. I saw him for the first time while still a student in 1970 in Christopher Hampton's breakthrough play, The Philanthropist, at the Royal Court. I have even stronger memories of his appearance in Simon Gray's Butley a year later. I've dug out the programme (10p). McCowen had taken over from Alan Bates. It was a terrific production, directed by Harold Pinter.

Comment

• Conchis
      Banned
      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
      A wonderful actor. I saw him for the first time while still a student in 1970 in Christopher Hampton's breakthrough play, The Philanthropist, at the Royal Court. I have even stronger memories of his appearance in Simon Gray's Butley a year later. I've dug out the programme (10p). McCowen had taken over from Alan Bates. It was a terrific production, directed by Harold Pinter.
      One of my favourite actors. I wasn't of playgoing age to have seen him in his pomp - Hadrian Vll, Philip in The Philanthropist and his takeover of Butley - but I did see his unforgettable performance as Gayev in the RSC's Cherry Orchard back in 1995, one of his final stage roles. The way he delivered the line 'Shut up, Firs!' (with boundless affection) will stay with me forever.

Pleasing to see an actor not obituarised as a 'Harry Potter star', too.

Comment

• makropulos
        • Nov 2010

Yes, a wonderful actor!
        He was also a superb narrator on the Dorati/Headline recording of Roberto Gerhard's The Plague.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Deeply saddened by this news and, somehow, couldn't steel myself to respond, yesterday, as Alec McCowen's distinguished career also ran in tandem with my 15 years as a thesp and there is a personal crossover which I cannot, indeed, would not wish to sidestep.

I first saw Alec in 1953 - he would have been in his late 20s at the time but managed to play a teenage schoolboy with total conviction in Roger McDougall's play, Escapade, at the Strand Theatre, the puckish charm already in place! Subsequently, he established his reputation at the Old Vic throughout the 50s at a time when they were performing the total Shakespearian canon and sealed his West End reputation in TS Eliot's, The Confidential Clerk, albeit for a short run. I still recall his electric outbreak of rage at his father which stilled the theatre. He returned to the Old Vic with regular outstanding work; Jaques in As You Like It -a witty reading, almost spontaneous, of the Seven Ages of Man, of course, - and an unforgettable Mercutio in Zefferelli's early 60s, Romeo & Juliet production, a young Judi Dench as a searing Juliet, but Alec's death scene and look of bewilderment after being mortally wounded by Tybalt also stays in the memory. By this time he was known as the actor's actor and he continued by crossing the river to play the Fool to Paul Scofield's Lear, Peter Brook's 1962 production which also laid the roots for the arrival of the RSC with a London base at the Aldwych Theatre and a world tour of Lear, set-up his years at the Mermaid Theatre and a succession of one-man shows, Kipling and the St Matthew Gospel, in particular, providing indelible memories, including a much prized memoir, a history of the staging of these sell-out productions.

ours truly now enters the equation as, after many years in repertory theatre, it was time to present my calling card in the West End theatre. Found my roots at the Royal Court Theatre and was offered an understudy role in Lindsay Anderson's, The Contractor, which also had a substantial run at the Fortune Theatre. This was followed by an offer to understudy the title role in Chris Hampton's, The Philanthropist, a role created by Alec at the Royal Court Th, followed by a transfer to the Mayfair Theatre where it continued for several years. Alec left the cast and was replaced by George Cole and I became his understudy; also covered the role of the abrasive Braham which I played after a few months. My first meeting with Alec was at a social 'do' which immediately confirmed his reputation as a charmer and delightful raconteur. And, yes, I did play the title role of Philip, in 1973, but Nigel Hawthorne had been contracted for the role and I had to bite my tongue and return to the ranks. There's no business like...!

Alec continued at The Old Vic under the auspices of the NT before they moved to the South Bank site in 1976. However, I also have warm memories of seeing him as Higgins in a revival of Pygmalion, 1975ish, at the New Theatre, (now the Noel Coward Th, St Martin's Lane) - the last time we met as I'd gone backstage to have a natter with m'old repertory mate, Bob Hoskins, who played Doolittle - I'd always hoped for a McCowen biography, a substantial treasure trove to savour, but, alas, he never had the crucial TV celebrity tag en route, although he was one of our most versatile actors for more than half a century. So many performances still fresh in the memory and he was adored in the biz, too. RIP, Alec - and thank you

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
            Deeply saddened by this news ... RIP, Alec - and thank you
            Stanley, I'm not much of a theatre person and have only been to a very small handful of plays but, as always, on these sad occasions your reminiscences make delightful and moving reading. Many thanks
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Thank you, Pet. Most gratified.

Comment

• Pianorak
                • Nov 2010

Stanley, thanks for your moving tribute to Alec McCowen. Just in case you haven't come across his early autobiography: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Double-Bill...s=Alec+McCowen . I agree, it's a pity there isn't a biography of this great actor.
                My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Thank you, Pianorak. I have a copy of Double Bill on the shelves - always reminds me of my first reading, late 70s, a time when I was still using laundromats and caused irritation among other users when I became so absorbed in the book, I forgot that the machine cycle had come to an end!

Fortuitously, your heads-up link sent me in another direction re the availability of alternative McCowen publications...but the exorbitant prices diminish my enthusiasm. Nevertheless, I had no hesitation in forking out £21 80 for Alec's 'Personal Mark', due for delivery next week as an 'almost new' copy - other books priced in the £200 range.

My mind is still lingering on Alec's death - he was 5 years older than myself - and, although always a bit self-concious about writing about 'names', its really a privilege to share memories about we happy few, accompanied by a bitter-sweet nip in the eyes.

Comment

Working...
                  X