X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
    Or perhaps consider a tea infuser? https://www.t2tea.com/en/uk/teawares...tea-strainers/ other sites available this was just the first out of the search engine. With the small ones (spheres or double teaspoon type for single serving) because the tea expands inside the container it often forms a nice lump that stays together enough to enable clean transfer to waste receptacle of choice. The only downside is drips - but tea bags do that as well.
    I wouldn't want to put either coffee or tea down the WC, although it would be convenient enough as next to the kitchen, because it would stain the limescale which is a plague in these parts.
    We use a Chatsford teapot from Whittards which has a basket to contain the leaves - tea of choice Yorkshire Gold, but I also like the occasional Lady Grey - I do not take milk in tea - when out I usually have Earl Grey with a slice of lemon.

Comment

• LHC
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
      Never thought of that.... I might give it a try. I'll try a bit of research - has there been a double blind trial of leaf versus tea bag tea, I'll look for one.

I do wonder about expectation bias. (I know double blind trials are a bit controversial around here** - as in “Audibility of a CD-Standard A/D/A Loop Inserted into High-Resolution Audio Playback” - Boston Audio Society, 2006.

** Just to say, this isn't directed at any of the participants in this conversation.....
      Tea bags are generally made with ‘fannings’, which are much smaller than the larger leaf pieces used for loose tea. Indeed in most cases the fannings consist of the left-overs from the production of loose leaf tea.

One of the possible benefits of the use of these much smaller pieces of leaf is that tea bags don’t need to be steeped for as long as loose leaf tea, which should be left in the pot for several minutes to produce a good cup of tea. As I recall, many standard teabags are designed to produce an acceptable cup of tea in less than two minutes

There are some companies that use the same size of leaves in their tea bags as well as their loose leaf tea, but I am not sure if Waitrose is one of those.
      "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
      Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by LHC View Post
        Tea bags are generally made with ‘fannings’, which are much smaller than the larger leaf pieces used for loose tea. Indeed in most cases the fannings consist of the left-overs from the production of loose leaf tea.

One of the possible benefits of the use of these much smaller pieces of leaf is that tea bags don’t need to be steeped for as long as loose leaf tea, which should be left in the pot for several minutes to produce a good cup of tea. As I recall, many standard teabags are designed to produce an acceptable cup of tea in less than two minutes

There are some companies that use the same size of leaves in their tea bags as well as their loose leaf tea, but I am not sure if Waitrose is one of those.
        I wondered, given that I think its true that sale of tea in teabags is the major part of the market, how can it be that there is that much dust from the overall crop. However, I might be wrong - I suppose I should check the facts, if I am that interested.

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
        Or perhaps consider a tea infuser? https://www.t2tea.com/en/uk/teawares...tea-strainers/ other sites available this was just the first out of the search engine. With the small ones (spheres or double teaspoon type for single serving) because the tea expands inside the container it often forms a nice lump that stays together enough to enable clean transfer to waste receptacle of choice. The only downside is drips - but tea bags do that as well.

I wouldn't want to put either coffee or tea down the WC, although it would be convenient enough as next to the kitchen, because it would stain the limescale which is a plague in these parts.
        The nearest WC would be about 30 feet away (and drink a fair few cups in a day) and I too am in a highly hard water area. The WC in question would be the one reserved for guests (we actually have some, these days!) so again Mrs CS wouldn't want drips of tea /stains nor stains on the scale in the bowl, even though we use a cleaning product which has the most calcium carbonate dissolving properties.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I think an infuser might be the way to go, although I will check out the Chatsworth teapot. I will also do the obvious thing, and spend half an hour on Google searching innovative ways of making leaf tea. And employ some lateral thinking, as Bryn has done.

We were lucky enough to have the gift of afternoon tea at Claridges and part of the experience is to ask as many questions as desired about the process of making a choice pot of tea, as we made our way through a number of blends, progressing towards the most impactful on the taste buds. It was a lovely afternoon, after a bout of West End shopping - I was cornered and couldn't get out of it - and before the theatre. A memorable experience for me - "if I was a rich man......" I would repeat the experience often (instead of Costa or Nero). I remember how to make the perfect pot of tea (according to their lights) - or at least, what I need to find out to do it (some excotic tea varieties need water at different temperatures etc....)

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LHC View Post

Indeed. Friends o mine used to refer to the content of tea bags as "floor sweepings".

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            Indeed. Friends o mine used to refer to the content of tea bags as "floor sweepings".
            Yes, but quality ones!

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Managed to get a lift into town from my brother, to go to Mailboxes Etc to get my latest magnum opus hardbound (three copies). We park at a parking meter and walk to the shop. There's a problem: the 255 pages are too thick for their clamping machine and spines. I could either reprint it on thinner paper (no!) or divide it into two volumes (also no!). They suggest an alternative place a little way off which my brother knows. We park in the multi-storey car park and walk to the shop. It is now empty but promises to reopen soon as an Asian restaurant.

I suggest we go to Alfred Harris (we've both been there before but they've moved to somewhere nearby, and I'm not sure of the address). We drive to where they used to be and park on the street. Their old shop, now called 'Bookbinder House', seems to house a large architects office rather than a bookbinders. I check on my phone for an address and we wander round until we spot a very small place, possibly a workshop, with a handwritten notice on the door. This is Alfred Harris, Bookbinders: 'We only open for a few hours a week, please ring in advance to avoid a wasted journey'. But we're already here. Brother tries the door which is locked, he shrugs and prepares to leave. I say we could ring the bell. "You ring it," he says.

I see through the window that there's a light on, As I'm about to ring the bell the door opens. "Do you want to come in?" "Yes, please." Inside the tiny workshop the final movement of the Emperor is playing very quietly in the background.

I explain about Mailboxes. "They aren't bookbinders," he says. We agree. "Are you Alfred Harris?" "No, he drank himself to death in 1880." He himself has been retiring for the past 14 years but hasn't quite gone yet. He assesses the job. He can do that; may even be able to do the front title in the Curlz font which I'd used for the title page - more than I'd hoped for.

"Um, how much would that be?" (I'm aware that Mailboxes - who are not bookbinders - were going to charge £95). "£90." My jaw drops. "Are you sure?"

He reads my expression. "Did you want to pay more?" "Yes." "What do you want to pay?" "£120?" He scratches his cheek. Yes, he will do it for £120. "It may be the last thesis binding I do." It all seemed rather sad, an era ending.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Having conducted my self-directed walk through the scenic Inns of Court this afternoon, starting this year at the Gray's Inn end, I wandered into the beautifully curated Inner Temple Garden, attracted by the Open to the Public notice. Intending to emerge onto the Victoria Embankment I then found myself locked in - all entrance gates being on an electronically operated card-only system, even though the one I by which I had gained access had been open. It took me ten minutes to locate someone with the necessary card to get me out - I dare say I could have risked it over the fence, but it was rather high.

The sunshine today has seemed remarkably strong for this late in the season. By the time I made it to the friendly Italian-run cafeteria at the Temple tube end of Victoria Embankment Gardens for much-needed tea and one of their plain chocolate on one side, caramelized almonds the other biscuits (£5.10 in all), I had walked through several clouds of exhaled skunk weed and past the grand memorial to some Victorian philanthropist where, back in the 70s, I had fallen into the pool in front one night, not having noticed the surrounding trip wire (now removed), and the fine granules making up the surface aggregate to the outside area seemed to be vibrating. The lady clearing up used trays shooed away one pigeon which was making the most of two partly eaten chocolate eclairs; I had thought to remark to her that it was not surprising that the pigeons in the vicinity showed by their size the benefits of rich pickings among customer leftovers, then noticed that the same could be said to apply to herself, and thought the better of it.

On the cycle journey home, I was astonished to find the Tesco Express branch in Herne Hill gone - replaced by some sportswear shop and a quick food outlet. The nearby mini Sainsbury's didn't have my usual vapes, which I then found on sale at the Tesco Express in West Dulwich. Opposite that branch used to be my nearest Lloyds Bank branch, shut down, along with three others in the district, two years ago, and now, following two years of dereliction, another dinky little eatery. It always strikes me as self-defeating for banks, or retail outlets of any sort, to be shut down, whether for reasons of an increasing public resort to online banking, or due to unaffordable business rates, then for the premises to remain shut, sometimes for years, thereby yielding no £££££s to the council whatever, and then be re-opened by businesses which must surely enjoy much smaller turnovers. Unsurprisingly the latter usually shut up shop within a year. But, hey-ho!

The canned refrigerated lager I am now enjoying would have been flat, having been left open partly drunk for the past week, were it not for an addition of chilled lemonade, which comes in re-sealable bottles and thereby retains its fizz.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                  Host
                  • Jun 2018

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  Managed to get a lift into town from my brother, to go to Mailboxes Etc to get my latest magnum opus hardbound (three copies). We park at a parking meter and walk to the shop. There's a problem: the 255 pages are too thick for their clamping machine and spines. I could either reprint it on thinner paper (no!) or divide it into two volumes (also no!). They suggest an alternative place a little way off which my brother knows. We park in the multi-storey car park and walk to the shop. It is now empty but promises to reopen soon as an Asian restaurant.

I suggest we go to Alfred Harris (we've both been there before but they've moved to somewhere nearby, and I'm not sure of the address). We drive to where they used to be and park on the street. Their old shop, now called 'Bookbinder House', seems to house a large architects office rather than a bookbinders. I check on my phone for an address and we wander round until we spot a very small place, possibly a workshop, with a handwritten notice on the door. This is Alfred Harris, Bookbinders: 'We only open for a few hours a week, please ring in advance to avoid a wasted journey'. But we're already here. Brother tries the door which is locked, he shrugs and prepares to leave. I say we could ring the bell. "You ring it," he says.

I see through the window that there's a light on, As I'm about to ring the bell the door opens. "Do you want to come in?" "Yes, please." Inside the tiny workshop the final movement of the Emperor is playing very quietly in the background.

I explain about Mailboxes. "They aren't bookbinders," he says. We agree. "Are you Alfred Harris?" "No, he drank himself to death in 1880." He himself has been retiring for the past 14 years but hasn't quite gone yet. He assesses the job. He can do that; may even be able to do the front title in the Curlz font which I'd used for the title page - more than I'd hoped for.

"Um, how much would that be?" (I'm aware that Mailboxes - who are not bookbinders - were going to charge £95). "£90." My jaw drops. "Are you sure?"

He reads my expression. "Did you want to pay more?" "Yes." "What do you want to pay?" "£120?" He scratches his cheek. Yes, he will do it for £120. "It may be the last thesis binding I do." It all seemed rather sad, an era ending.
                  Thanks FF, I enjoyed that.

The AH website took me to a fascinating bit of history / photos via the WayBack machine, I wonder if this was your craftsman?

Last edited by AuntDaisy; 25-09-21, 08:10. Reason: Updated the very slow Archive.org photos with smaller versions

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

Just wandered in here, possiby for the first time. What a nice thread!

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                      Host
                      • Jun 2018

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                      Ditto.

Comment

• Zucchini
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                        Ditto.
                        Thanks Serial - that's a very evocative little narrative

Comment

• Constantbee
                          • Jul 2017

Amusing aside sent in to Planet Rock by a listener last week:

‘Try setting the lyrics of Black Sabbaths’ War Pigs’ to ‘Deck the Halls with Boughs of Holly’.

You know the one. It goes ...

Generals gathered in their masseeeees
                          Just like witches at black masseeeeees
                          Evil minds that plot destrucsheeeern
                          Sorcerer of death's construcsheeern)

Yep, it scans! Falalalaaaah lala lalaah!

Went on a RCO course called ‘Improve your Hymn Playing’ recently. Sat patiently while the tutor tried to explain to us about Standard Meter. 'Means any hymn with the same syllables will fit the tune. Refer to the index in the back of the book'. So, now I know …
                          And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Constantbee View Post
                            Amusing aside sent in to Planet Rock by a listener last week:

‘Try setting the lyrics of Black Sabbaths’ War Pigs’ to ‘Deck the Halls with Boughs of Holly’.

You know the one. It goes ...

Generals gathered in their masseeeees
                            Just like witches at black masseeeeees
                            Evil minds that plot destrucsheeeern
                            Sorcerer of death's construcsheeern)

Yep, it scans! Falalalaaaah lala lalaah!

Went on a RCO course called ‘Improve your Hymn Playing’ recently. Sat patiently while the tutor tried to explain to us about Standard Meter. 'Means any hymn with the same syllables will fit the tune. Refer to the index in the back of the book'. So, now I know …
                            While Sheps fits many tunes either straight or with repeated lines - a friend of mine said that it goes well to ‘House of the Rising Sun’ - that immediately had me revesringbthe process and singing ‘There is a house in New Orleans…. to Lingham!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Ukrainians are smart, you know. Especially those who got out in time.

There's Luba, who works in the local Sainsbury's, generally behind the cigarette counter. She's been living in this country for 15 years and has British nationality. Widowed, sadly. Today she said to me, "Why are you wearing two face masks?" While I was struggling for an answer she said, with a wink, "You don't fool me, you know"!

Comment

• johncorrigan
                                • Nov 2010

Quiz Night last night in Alyth Town Hall - I'm in the Bowling Club Team...never played a game of bowls in my life, by the way. Can't remember how I ended up in the team. Last night they announced the various topics - Round 10 was announced as 'Classical Music'...cue sighs of horror from the other teams. 10 tunes, name the composer...I thought, 'Surely I've learned something from hanging out on the forum all these years?!?'

The other two in our team were nervous. I wrote down a list of the composers I knew the names of - you know, Beethoven, Bach, Strauss, Copland etc. Anyway, it wasn't tough - you classical chums would have been horrified at how simple it was...I got all ten, some after the first couple of notes...the only ones I wasn't sure of were Bizet (I reckoned it was something Carmen-ish), and Rodrigo (which I vaguely recalled from the charts in days gone by). Brownie points from all fellow contestants and enough for us to overtake the usual winners of the quiz in the final score. Glory! I then won the raffle and the Buddies won 1-0 against Aberdeen. Should've bought a lottery ticket on the way home.

Comment

Working...
                                X