• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

The Things That Dreams Are Made of.....

Well maybe not dreams...

After the runaway success of the " Things that Time Forgot" thread ,() maybe it's time for something new?

I thought it might be good to share the things that help us through the day, one way or another. Maybe trivial, important, stuff, activities,places, people, whatever. Even music.....

anyway:

Contact lenses.
    First thing of value I bought when I started work, and I love them to bits. Wake up with hopeless short sight, two minutes fiddling around and I've got perfect vision, and without the need for windscreen wipers in rainy weather.

I bless them very often.

( and particularly brilliant for cricketers...)

Edit: If there is a mod about, could you correct the thread to be plural dreams please?
    Please join in !!
    Last edited by teamsaint; 30-01-17, 20:48.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.
  • umslopogaas
    • Nov 2010

For me, they are the things that stimulate memories. I might for example, see the watercolour painting on my living room wall, which shows my family home in the 1960s. That brings back memories of my childhood, and I do dream of them. Dreams are dangerous and not understood, despite Sigmund Freud's best efforts.

He said, I think, since my copy of "The Interpretation of Dreams" seems to have gone missing, that A Dream is the Interpretation of a Wish. That makes sense to me.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Rare books digitised and freely downloadable …
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Historian
        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Rare books digitised and freely downloadable …
        Oh yes; I have just finished reading a contemporary history of the Seven Years War which would have been very difficult to get hold of otherwise and very expensive too.

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

A world where this sort of thing makes a difference to people's lives:

South America correspondent Wyre Davies visits the Recycled Orchestra of Paraguay.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

WhatsApp - can talk to your friends and family all over the world whenever you want for how long you want, and see them too. And it’s free!

Comment

• Lat-Literal
              • Aug 2015

My interpretation of a dream while awake involves things that don't actually occur.

These include a country in which the number of vehicles is one sixth of current levels as in the 1960s, spring flowers and cherry blossom naturally occurring all the year round and quite possibly all human beings only having the verbal capacity to communicate musically. I have never made up my mind whether I would really want the last one of these or not.

Re my positive experiences this winter, shop staff who are civil or comical while earning next to nothing - this is a perennial and one of the few areas of employment in which people are closer to sainthood than satanism, a squirrel albeit of one hue appearing at my feet and leaping onto a tree and colour itself - always a benchmark of others' genuine creativity and the only decent replacement for natural light. When I first said to someone I liked colour I realised it is often just taken for granted. I find life very grey without it.
              Last edited by Lat-Literal; 01-02-17, 17:05.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                • Aug 2015

I also find that I spend a lot of time almost wrestling with concepts of freedom. That has a lot to do with the difference between ideas based on appearances and reality. Throughout my life, I have lived under gliders. The 90 year old neighbour who took a ride in one last summer said that I should do the same. The problem is that I know it would be cramped. For forty or more years and even with experience of travel in commercial aircraft I managed to retain the fantasy that to be inside one would surely be to feel as a bird must feel experiencing the sky. It irritates me the more I think that one can only be a pilot or a passenger and not the aircraft itself.

This translates across to so many other areas - riding a motorbike versus riding a motorbike in traffic with traffic restrictions and safety concerns; the romanticism of being a gypsy versus the knowledge of what it actually means to be a traveller in that sense in 2017 or to be blunt to have travellers living on the doorstep; and driving in an open top car along Ventura Highway as per the song with "alligator lizards in the air" versus pollution, nutters in other vehicles with guns and no alligator lizards in sight. That is another point actually. I love the sound of alligator lizards but I'd either dislike them if I saw them or just simply find them disappointing.

1972....................it still has wheels that glide (at least in the mind) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjgCqbPGq2A
                Last edited by Lat-Literal; 01-02-17, 23:06.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                  A world where this sort of thing makes a difference to people's lives:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b088fch9
                  Thanks for that, ardcarp. I'll be giving that a listen.

For me, I don't know if this is the Stuff that Dreams are made of, but I am saving up for an electric bike. I love to cycle but am hemmed in by the hills around (not fit enough) - a bit of help going upwards would do me the world of good. Had a go of one the other week - it was delight.

Comment

• doversoul1
                    Ex Member
                    • Dec 2010

iPlayer and youtube

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
                      iPlayer and youtube
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• aeolium
                        • Nov 2010

Free (or cheap) searchable online access to the complete BBC radio archive, and if possible the British Library audio files.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                          Thanks for that, ardcarp. I'll be giving that a listen.

For me, I don't know if this is the Stuff that Dreams are made of, but I am saving up for an electric bike. I love to cycle but am hemmed in by the hills around (not fit enough) - a bit of help going upwards would do me the world of good. Had a go of one the other week - it was delight.
                          The electric bike sounds like it will be great JC. You have to be pretty fit to cycle up Scottish hills, I would think !!

Anyway, the thread was just meant to be a bit of a celebration of random things, from the important to the trivial, in these worrying times.

Another one for me: The sunrises and sunsets we can see from the front of our house.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            Another one for me: The sunrises and sunsets we can see from the front of our house.
                            Would that be the house you probably never dreamed that you'd make the last mortgage payment on, ts?

(Not sure that the sentence construction is right there, but you'll know what I mean!)
                            But does the front of the house face both east and west?

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                              Would that be the house you probably never dreamed that you'd make the last mortgage payment on, ts?

(Not sure that the sentence construction is right there, but you'll know what I mean!)
                              But does the front of the house face both east and west?
                              The house faces almost due south ( what better way to face ?) .
                              But our kitchen diner faces east , and has french windows and another window, so we can see sunrises from there, and we can see sunsets to the extreme right looking out of the lounge window.

Forumites always welcome to drop in for a cuppa , and a look at the view !! Just PM me .

And yes, mortgages can be an awful long haul, but yesterday was a good day on that score.

( I think you might have tried " ...on which...." ?)

Comment

Working...
                              X