X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cavatina View Post
    Now now, let's not be jingoistic. The main reason Robin Williams thinks cricket is boring is that he's a bipolar coke head. And for your information, plenty of New Yorkers play cricket recreationally-- even if most of them are podgy middle-aged Indians. Here's a link to the New York cricket association--small potatoes, admittedly, but it does exist:

USA Cricketers provides the best cricket coverage available in the USA, including live cricket scoring, cricket news, cricket reports, cricket features, cricket interviews and cricket photos.

............and the USA had the great Bart King.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

er i love test matches, they are sublime dramas .... but then Murdoch bought them .... what do kids do nowadays when skiving off school and A level revision ...AUNT no longer has five day test matches live in B&W ... them was the days .... oh and well played England ... victory snatched from a bore ....
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Keraulophone
        • Nov 2010

Go on, capitulate to Rupert and induluge in Sky Arts 2 and Test Cricket. Life's too short to deny oneself these Cardusian arts. Yes, it's a shame the Beeb can't fully supply our needs.

Comment

• Anna

There are highlights this evening on Channel 5. Unfortunately I cannot receive Channel 5 as I have Freesat and I absolutely refuse to subscribe to Sky. I think I did read that future Ashes are to be covered by the BBC? I think the commentary on R4 LW or R5 is marvellous, makes me laugh out loud at times. Blowers, Aggers, Tuffers and Boycott (particularly the latter at times)

Comment

• Rumbaba

IMO all cricket is boring

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

I agree. Sky's team of experts is exceptonal,. the analysis spot on and in-depth, and the 'commentary' is highly knowledegable, generally but not exclusively serious and concetrated and focused on cricket, and the views much more balanced than TMS which I stopped listening to when the insufferably opinionated and hopelessly out of touch Boycott came on - and I'm an ex-pat Yorkshireman. And actually, once you get Sky, you realise that on more tnhan one occasikon, the TMS team is actually wrong about what is happening, and of course, they CANNOT show the whole referrals process. TMS does cricket as if it was still the fifties. It isn't any more, and Sky reflects that.

If the BBC do take the Ashes, they have one hell of a lot of catching up to do to get even close to the Sky cricket coverage - England Captains - Gower, Atherton, Hussain, Botham, top players - Michael Holding, Nick Knight, David Lloyd, Ian Ward, plus overseas experts of pedigree. That is one heck of a cast list. And in the wings - Allott, Willis, Butcher, Cork.

Comment

• mangerton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                There are highlights this evening on Channel 5. Unfortunately I cannot receive Channel 5 as I have Freesat and I absolutely refuse to subscribe to Sky. I think I did read that future Ashes are to be covered by the BBC? I think the commentary on R4 LW or R5 is marvellous, makes me laugh out loud at times. Blowers, Aggers, Tuffers and Boycott (particularly the latter at times)
                Yes, I'd refuse to subscribe to Sky too. I think C5 is now available on Freesat, according to this: http://www.freesat.co.uk/what-you-ge...channels/five/

Might be worth a retune?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                  Yes, I'd refuse to subscribe to Sky too. I think C5 is now available on Freesat, according to this: http://www.freesat.co.uk/what-you-ge...channels/five/

Might be worth a retune?
                  I refuse to subscribe to Sky too and everyone knows surely that the way to enjoy Test cricket is to watch the television pictures with the sound turned down and to listen to TMS on the radio

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                    I refuse to subscribe to Sky too and everyone knows surely that the way to enjoy Test cricket is to watch the television pictures with the sound turned down and to listen to TMS on the radio
                    Yes indeed, the flaw in that is that without Sky it's impossible now. Thanks mangerton, I find I do in fact have Channel 5 ! I just looked at the tv guide which didin't list it on FreeSat instead of looking at channel choice on the tv!! I also find it is available on demand via their iplayer for 6 days. Just put the radio on, it seems no rain is forecast for today to interrupt play although it is dull and windy.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                      • Nov 2010

Sky makes most of the BBC's output look very poor- not least their Arts channels, which knock terrestrial broadcasters into a cocked hat. I don't subscribe to their sports packages, so can't comment on the the cricket, since the BBC currently have the Formula 1 rights, and in that instance the Beeb actually do a first-class job.

I can't understand this holier than thou attitude to Sky. You're missing out on some excellent and varied programming.
                      Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Re the thread title: and that's news?!

Watching paint dry can often provide greater thrills.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                          Sky makes most of the BBC's output look very poor- not least their Arts channels, which knock terrestrial broadcasters into a cocked hat.
                          I can't understand this holier than thou attitude to Sky. You're missing out on some excellent and varied programming.
                          It's not so much a holier than thou, it's the fact that whilst one can watch F1 or football on terrestial, cricket, our National game is not available anymore to the majority of people. Also, (like many others) I cannot afford to subscribe.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                            Why does a principled stand against a an unprincipled media mogul have to be 'holier than thou'? Do you not follow the news? Do you not know that Murdoch's newspaper News of the World has been hacking into people's phones to get a story? Do you not know that Murdoch's Sun & News of the World continue to promote sexist attitudes to women in the 21st century? Do you not know that Murdoch is responsible for the 'it-would-be-laughable-if-it-wasn't-so-serious Fox News in the USA?

And if you know, do you not care about it?

I wish I could watch Test cricket of course I do but I'm quite happy with TMS on the radio. And from what I've seen of Gower, Botham et al, I don't think I'm missing anything in terms of broadcast commentary and serious discussion - the Channel 5 summary show is fine for me.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                              • Nov 2010

Just put the radio on, it seems no rain is forecast for today to interrupt play although it is dull and windy.
                              Surely watching rain would be more exciting.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                                Surely watching rain would be more exciting.
                                Certainly watching rain is more exciting than watching Formula One or Golf

Comment

Working...
                                X