Or an actual scorebook entry

Lillee caught Willey bowled Dilley

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
      First time I've heard that one.
      There was half of it in Msg #69. (One word from me and ... )
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

Oh my gawd my apologies FF !!!

Comment

• burning dog
          • Dec 2010

On Essex scorecards of the 70s & 80s.... cLever bEast

Comment

• aeolium
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cavatina View Post
            when the level of play is mediocre or worse, I always find it interesting to compare what I'm seeing to instructional videos from Terry Jenner, Shane Warne, etc. and try to spot what the locals are doing wrong. Even a bad game can teach you a lot if you have the right attitude.
            I don't regard the village cricket games I play in as 'bad games' - they are just (obviously) played at a different level from first class or Test cricket. The enjoyment - for me and at least some others I play with - comes not in trying to emulate Shane Warne or Terry Jenner but partly in the environment and partly in the fact that the village game accommodates people of widely different ages and abilities (the youngest I have played with or against was 7, the oldest 79). Games are (mildly) competitive and from time to time you can see good batting, bowling and fielding but the quality of the cricket is not essential to the pleasure.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
              the village game accommodates people of widely different ages and abilities (the youngest I have played with or against was 7, the oldest 79). Games are (mildly) competitive and from time to time you can see good batting, bowling and fielding but the quality of the cricket is not essential to the pleasure.
              Indeed, a lot of the pleasure in the village green game is the social aspect as well. My nephew (who will be 9 in July) is so thrilled to have been selected for his school's cricket team and has played in his first match against another school, and he scored 4 runs as well as bowling quite well! He's so proud of his cricket jumper as well. However, it seems too far schools teach cricket to Juniors now.

Comment

• cavatina

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                I don't regard the village cricket games I play in as 'bad games' - they are just (obviously) played at a different level from first class or Test cricket. The enjoyment - for me and at least some others I play with - comes not in trying to emulate Shane Warne or Terry Jenner but partly in the environment and partly in the fact that the village game accommodates people of widely different ages and abilities (the youngest I have played with or against was 7, the oldest 79). Games are (mildly) competitive and from time to time you can see good batting, bowling and fielding but the quality of the cricket is not essential to the pleasure.
                Sounds fun! Over here, the weekend games I see are a bunch of hypercompetitive middle-aged Indian businessmen playing each other and taking things very seriously indeed. I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of them wanted to play professionally (or semi-professionally) when they were younger...who knows, maybe some of them did. Kids, wives, and older people are definitely off to the side.

Comment

• aeolium
                  • Nov 2010

Indeed, a lot of the pleasure in the village green game is the social aspect as well.
                  Definitely, and the grounds you play at also. As a wandering team we have played at quite a few scenic locations, including this one

(hope it's all right to borrow the photo)

No witches, but Cheviot goats roaming up the cliffs.

The late-lamented Gabrielle d'Estrées, who used to post on the old R3 boards, used to travel far and wide to play cricket.

Sorry, getting a bit off-topic here...

Comment

• David Underdown

The pitch at Bamburgh is rather an impressive location

Comment

• Panjandrum

What the hell is Cook playing at? Far too interested in his own stats than helping England force another victory.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

well the choice is for Strauss, who presumably does not want any risk at all of losing and some chance of another win by taking out the Sri Lanka batting in fifty odd overs .... not likely i'd say after their form at Lords and the memory of Cardiff ... so a draw .... Test Cricket is boring .....
                        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                          What the hell is Cook playing at? Far too interested in his own stats than helping England force another victory.
                          An interesting interpretation: please show your workings

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

The Rose Bowl is a result pitch.

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                              The Rose Bowl is a result pitch.
                              You don't think the groundsman will be under instructions to make it last the full five days?

Comment

Working...
                              X