X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

E_A

Just a little irony in there I thought - but in the land of Emmott Robinson!?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
      I'm with Robin Williams:-

Cricket is basically baseball on valium.
      Well isn't baseball "rounders with attitude"?

Comment

• Anna

I'm with Robin Williams:- Cricket is basically baseball on Valium
        Oh, Robin Williams? And, as an American, what does he know about cricket, has he ever seen a match?

I rest my case. And I will not say more. You may, perhaps, enjoy Formula 1, I would not criticise you for that, so, leave us cricket fans alone to enjoy the game. Is that fair?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Anna, it looks as though we had similar thoughts at the same time.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            Anna, it looks as though we had similar thoughts at the same time.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

You have to have been through the slower bits, the twists and turns, the apprehensions, the frustrations to love the fantastic climax to that game.
                Bit like a Wagner opera

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                  ... Bit like a Wagner opera

Comment

• amateur51

I'm with Robin Williams:-

I do find Test cricket the most tedious sport ever conceived, with the possible exception of golf. Days of mind-numbing boredom, and then the end result is determined by the weather. Why not wait until it stops raining and resume play, like they do at Wimbledon? Imagine if the Men's Singles Final just stopped every time it rained, with the winner being declared there and then. Ridiculous.
                    Oh I'm so pleased that you don't like it.

The less I have in common with you, the better!

Comment

• cavatina

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      Oh, Robin Williams? And, as an American, what does he know about cricket, has he ever seen a match?
                      Now now, let's not be jingoistic. The main reason Robin Williams thinks cricket is boring is that he's a bipolar coke head. And for your information, plenty of New Yorkers play cricket recreationally-- even if most of them are podgy middle-aged Indians. Here's a link to the New York cricket association--small potatoes, admittedly, but it does exist:

USA Cricketers provides the best cricket coverage available in the USA, including live cricket scoring, cricket news, cricket reports, cricket features, cricket interviews and cricket photos.

I do find Test cricket the most tedious sport ever conceived, with the possible exception of golf. Days of mind-numbing boredom
                      You wouldn't find it tedious at all if you enjoyed paying attention to details of tactics and strategy. Twenty20 is an abomination...it's like turning chess into tic-tac-toe.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by cavatina View Post
                        Now now, let's not be jingoistic. The main reason Robin Williams thinks cricket is boring is that he's a bipolar coke head. And for your information, plenty of New Yorkers play cricket recreationally-- even if most of them are podgy middle-aged Indians. Here's a link to the New York cricket association--small potatoes, admittedly, but it does exist:

USA Cricketers provides the best cricket coverage available in the USA, including live cricket scoring, cricket news, cricket reports, cricket features, cricket interviews and cricket photos.

You wouldn't find it tedious at all if you enjoyed paying attention to details of tactics and strategy. Twenty20 is an abomination...it's like turning chess into tic-tac-toe.
                        Re cricket in New York, it's a central feature of this novel:

I agree about Twenty20, cavatina but it appeals to young people and attracts them to the game & I hope that recent Test matches in Australia and in Wales will have made them realise what an absorbing and surprising delight the real thing can be

Comment

• cavatina

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

I agree about Twenty20, cavatina but it appeals to young people and attracts them to the game & I hope that recent Test matches in Australia and in Wales will have made them realise what an absorbing and surprising delight the real thing can be
                          So why don't you agree with what certain people around here have always tried to say about the Breakfast show?
                          Whoops sorry, please don't answer that. Forget I ever said a thing. BAD troll, BAD!! Er...nevermind.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                            • Nov 2010

So why don't you agree with what certain people around here have always tried to say about the Breakfast show?
                            Whoops sorry, please don't answer that. Forget I ever said a thing. BAD troll, BAD!! Er...nevermind.
                            Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• burning dog
                              • Dec 2010

It's the very unfairness of two innings cricket with it's weather interruptions and very lop-sided draws, plus the chance for terrible strategic blunders by the captain, that makes it so fascinating to the initiated.

Comment

• amateur51

Have I ever expressed an opinion about the 'Breakfast show' , cavatina?

Genuine enquiry

Comment

Working...
                                X