• DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      - and to get rid of that irritating logo in the top left corner of the screen on many TV channels.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

I thought I'd actively look for ad-blockers today, in an effort to make sure that I don't get interrupted while watching YouTube videos.

I found this - arguably independent - review - https://www.antivirussoftwareguide.c...o-stop-pop-ads
        One concern, looking at one of these, is that there may be a lot of features to be turned on or off - or possibly there won't be much control.
        For example, turning on access to passwords. Some people might like devices to log everything, including passwords, so that they can be reused, but surely that's only a good thing if such private data is not exported to unwanted third party sites. So yet again it looks as though there are issues of trust - do you trust software to do what it says?

Most of the time it's almost impossible to tell what computer software is doing, or if it is communicating with malicious sites - particularly if the major features of a package appear to be working, and of course it a package is moderating internet data, then the computer itself will be connected to the internet. So any software which collects passwords could forward details of those to places where they shouldn't go while at the same time providing a service "doing what it says on the tin. Let's call that kind of behaviour Tin+.

I don't have an easy answer to this, other perhaps than never using a computer, or using a dedicated computer for anything which needs high privacy, such as accessing bank accounts - and never using that for anything else - email, web surfing etc.

Comment

Working...
        X