• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Microseconds rather than nanoseconds - typo . Otherwise, this evening:

Nope, sorry.
    You haven't been paying attention. Milliseconds.

That's about 1/40 of a second in your case.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      Nope, sorry.

Bah! Not ns but ms, then.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• David-G
        • Mar 2012

I am envious of a lot of you. I tried this three times, figures as follows:

down 6.04, up 0.96, ping 24 ms / down 11.34, up 1.02, ping 24 ms / down 9.57, up 0.98, ping 25 ms.

Pretty pathetic. I am in south London, on Plusnet. These figures are for wi-fi, not wired ethernet.

I suspect that the problem may be that my router for the wi-fi is ancient. Would people agree?

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by David-G View Post
          I suspect that the problem may be that my router for the wi-fi is ancient. Would people agree?
          I had a broadband problem some weeks ago and BT upgraded me to their latest router, so that may be the answer.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Anastasius
            • Mar 2015

We've been on around 6-8 Mbps for years and that's fast enough for us. We can stream videos in HD without any problem. Have to confess that I can't see the point of extra fast broadband of the speeds we are talking about here. There are enough other bottlenecks in the internet to render fibre speeds pointless IMO.

Having said that on occasion I would welcome a faster upload but it's no big deal TBH.
            Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• Anastasius
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              Nope, sorry.

Oh dear, "slow Mac performance?". Don't fall for it, FF.
              Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• gradus
                • Nov 2010

For ages many in our village had really low internet speeds instead of the low speeds that we should have had. The problems turned out to be poor maintenance of the overhead phone line terminal boxes, something which was readily apparent to the users simply by checking the speeds of people either side of the terminal boxes but way beyond the analytical powers of the Openreach 'engineers' who ignored our views and spent many weeks seemingly baffled by the complexity of the problem. Their diagnostic efforts were laughable and seemed to involve plugging gadgets into phone lines, obtaining ludicrously inaccurate diagnoses of problems which they found did not exist when they investigated before disappearing for days on end, again claiming to have fixed things but actually having removed what little service had previously existed. We are small village community so it is perhaps no surprise that the 'service' was appalling.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                  Download 51.03 mbps / Upload 9.35 mbps..... on BT Infinity.

​It's usually a very stable service as well.
                  Impressively stable BT Infinity here too, no complaints or failures since it came to this area in July 2014:

"...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Globaltruth
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Also ok, here in a small village in Derbyshire, although somewhat short of the super speeds BT Infinity is meant to bring.
                    Given that prior to this we were managing with 6mbps though this is fine.

The other point to make is that I have recently, and with very little effort, split the networks on my BT HomeHub router into 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and then attached devices based on whether they are old (2.4Ghz) or newish (post 2014).
                    So far so good - it does seem to have resolved two long-term issues with different bits of kit dropping connection which was happening when they connected (in an arbitrary way) to the 5Ghz network.
                    BT, of course, mutter dire warnings about doing the split, but here is the help page

Comment

Working...
                    X