X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    I must advise that the pound can go down as well as up, and mine was not financial advice but a psychological ploy.
    Now where have I heard that caveat before?! What was it? Ah, yes, the independent financial adviser's compliance statement that runs "investments can go up as well as down, but don't hold your breath"...

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
      Me too. Plus: the first restaurant you eat at in a place you've never visited before is going to be overpriced and not that great. Saves a lot disappointment to bear that in mind.
      It probably would, but it surely doesn't follow that this will always happen?...

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
        I wonder what the Bank of England would say?

Seriously, your suggestion is in indeed what I’ve always done down the years, and it’s always worked out well for me. (Blimey, does this make us experts!?).
        No, don't worry Beefy, we're in the Post-Truth World now, so experts are decidedly passe!

When I go abroad I always take about £100 more than I think I might need in the foreign currency and also my debit/credit card, just in case.

The last thing I want to be worried about when I go abroad is possible lack of money.

I have enough of that at home ...

Comment

• Richard Barrett
          • Jan 2016

To be honest I find it a bit quaint that people talk about taking foreign currency when they go abroad. I would never bother with that, unless I have some cash left over from my last visit to the country in question; there are always cash machines around at the point of arrival and my bog-standard UK debit card works everywhere. (Last year I took 21 international trips, a little less than usual.)

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
            • Jun 2014

To be honest I find it a bit quaint that people talk about taking foreign currency when they go abroad. I would never bother with that, unless I have some cash left over from my last visit to the country in question; there are always cash machines around at the point of arrival and my bog-standard UK debit card works everywhere. (Last year I took 21 international trips, a little less than usual.)
            Er, yes, but are you not charged an additional fee by your bank for each transaction at a foreign ATM?

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Plus: the first restaurant you eat at in a place you've never visited before is going to be overpriced and not that great. Saves a lot disappointment to bear that in mind.
              Yep. Avoid that one. Go to a different one …
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                  The last thing I want to be worried about when I go abroad is possible lack of money.

I have enough of that at home ...
                  Clearly not everyone is as well-off as you and don’t even have enough money at home. Count yourself lucky.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                    • Jun 2014

Clearly not everyone is as well-off as you and don’t even have enough money at home. Count yourself lucky.
                    I was being post-truthfully ambiguous, Beefy ...

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

And now the rise in inflation gives a boost to the pound which eases one problem (slightly) and creates another.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        And now the rise in inflation gives a boost to the pound which eases one problem (slightly) and creates another.

Does a rise in inflation boost a currency ...?. It normally devalues it, though there was a tiny bounce today for whatever mysterious reason, maybe just a temporary 'correction' after the recent fall.

And the rise in inflation (with lots more to come) is itself a direct result of the 'flash-crash' of the pound following the Brexit vote, so, sadly, it's a two-way 'lose-lose' situation for the UK economy.

Experts/Remoaners 2, Populists/Lievers 0.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Does a rise in inflation boost a currency ...?. It normally devalues it, though there was a tiny bounce today for whatever mysterious reason
                          Yes, wrong connection. Inflation has risen and the pound has also risen (from below €1.14 to just over €1.15): so those wanting a good rate because they're going abroad will benefit and those staying at home will be worse off.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

Does a rise in inflation boost a currency ...?. It normally devalues it, though there was a tiny bounce today for whatever mysterious reason, maybe just a temporary 'correction' after the recent fall.

And the rise in inflation (with lots more to come) is itself a direct result of the 'flash-crash' of the pound following the Brexit vote, so, sadly, it's a two-way 'lose-lose' situation for the UK economy.

Experts/Remoaners 2, Populists/Lievers 0.
                            Well the pound went up around 2% this morning, so Conchis will be holdin’ foldin’. As we Brexiters know, all’s well that ends well.

(not only can't remainers see their glass as half-full, they always see it smashed into smithereens on the floor!)

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                              • Jan 2016

Er, yes, but are you not charged an additional fee by your bank for each transaction at a foreign ATM?
                              A small one, yes, but I spend so little time in the UK I'm used to it.

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

Well the pound went up around 2% this morning, so Conchis will be holdin’ foldin’. As we Brexiters know, all’s well that ends well.
                                That was partly due to the increased inflation figures and the threat of an interest rate increase rather than anything specifically to do with Brexit; that said, it's good to know that you Brexiters not only know what you say you do when no one else seems to do so for countless understandable reasons but also that it will end well at all when there are 28 nations involved in what might happen next (whatever that may be and when).

The pound, despite that increase today, has dropped from around €1.43 to its present level of below €1.16 since the announcement of the opinion poll result almost 7 months ago; tell those living on fixed sterling incomes in Eurozone countries that "all's well that ends well"!...

Comment

Working...
                                X