X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
    If your life is so grey that it needs to be livened up by watching men in funny hats marching up and down, maybe you should get out a bit more! (Or get your own funny hat)

Or watch Eastenders or Corrie ....

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post

Or watch Eastenders or Corrie ....
      A tradition becomes a ritual. Some people listen to The Archers every day too.
      But it can be no different from attending Party Conference every year. Or watching firework displays on Bonfire Night. Or going to the Proms. Or watching Morris Dancers on 1 May (is the garb any less funny?) Or any number of entertainments that happen every year. People watch/listen to them.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
        • Jun 2014

p. g. tipps

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
        If your life is so grey that it needs to be livened up by watching men in funny hats marching up and down, maybe you should get out a bit more! (Or get your own funny hat)
        Not entirely out of character you make a quite illogical and unconnected assumption.

Buckingham Palace, Horse Guards Parade, the Edinburgh Tattoo etc are well worth a visit ... have you never been?

I suspect I may 'need to get out' rather less than the "average" musician/composer and I'm already blessed with quite a few 'funny hats', thank you ... in fact I have one just like Jeremy Corbyn's!

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          I banned The Archers in our house earlier this year, so it only gets listened to on headphones, or when I'm out. This saves me at least 90 minutes each week.

Comment

• Zucchini
            • Nov 2010

I banned The Archers in our house earlier this year ...
            And me. They do terrible damage to the curtains

Comment

• Richard Barrett
              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
              Buckingham Palace, Horse Guards Parade, the Edinburgh Tattoo etc are well worth a visit ... have you never been?
              Surely you jest.

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Not entirely out of character you make a quite illogical and unconnected assumption.
                Sorry, but I don't buy that. You wrote that the things concerned "add a huge dollop of colour to the greyness of much of mundane, everyday life", so where is the absence of logic or connection in Richard's assumption?

Whilst there's nothing inherently wrong with visiting these, the "military flummery" to which you drew favourable attention does not have to be respected, still less admired and enjoyed, by those who do so; moreover, public military or militaristic displays are surely things to incite shame and prick consciences rather than command respect, admiration or enjoyment, although one would arguably have to see some in order fully to appreciate that.

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

But it can be no different from attending Party Conference every year. Or watching firework displays on Bonfire Night. Or going to the Proms. Or watching Morris Dancers on 1 May (is the garb any less funny?) Or any number of entertainments that happen every year. People watch/listen to them.
                  A tradition - or a "tradition" - might or might not become a ritual, but a ritual (such as listening to each episode of the once incorrectly described "everyday story of country folk"* that is BBC Radio's longest running soap The Archers) surely doesn't always stem from a tradition, or "tradition"?

Likewise, attending a political party conference or watching Bonfire Night firework displays annually might be an acquired habit but the tradition - or "tradition" - is surely the party conferences of the Bonfire Night displays themselves? "Going to the Proms" is no different to attending any other concert (apart from the fact that promenading there is unusual) but it might be argued that the Proms themselves have now become a kind of tradition - or "tradition" - purely because they've been held annually since 1895. Discretion precludes me from commenting on Morris Dancers or anyone who watches them. The mare fact that some people watch/listen annual entertainments annually again does not, it seems to me, constitute a tradition - or "tradition" - in and of itself, even if the events themselves might have come to be perceived by some, rightly or wrongly, as representing such.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

I banned The Archers in our house earlier this year.
                    How very democratic. This is the 21st century - just because you don't like it - surely an element of choice should be available!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      How very democratic. This is the 21st century - just because you don't like it - surely an element of choice should be available!
                      I think Dave is channeling his inner Titchener

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

I suspect I may 'need to get out' rather less than the "average" musician/composer and I'm already blessed with quite a few 'funny hats', thank you ... in fact I have one just like Jeremy Corbyn's!
                        With your love of military parades you'd doubtless be very happy living in N Korea, I would imagine.

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          With your love of military parades you'd doubtless be very happy living in N Korea, I would imagine.
                          That notion had occurred to me as well although I thought better of expressing it; however, I suspect that, were he indeed to relocate there, he would most sorely miss the cut-and-thrust of discussion on this forum (and I also doubt that he'd be able to avail himself of a supply of P. G. Tips in Pyongyang)...

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                            • Jun 2014

p. g. tipps

I banned The Archers in our house earlier this year, so it only gets listened to on headphones, or when I'm out. This saves me at least 90 minutes each week.
                            Surely that is a somewhat dictatorial and quite shockingly exclusive attitude, Dave ... ?

I am, like all true liberals, very much for INCLUSIVENESS ... we now must willingly embrace the whims and desires of all minorities, however thoroughly bizarrre these may seem to us ... yes, even being forced to listen to The Archers.

Easy, huh ... ?

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Surely that is a somewhat dictatorial and quite shockingly exclusive attitude, Dave ... ?
                              I don't ban people listening - only in areas where I might hear the wretched programme. They can listen on headphones, or when I'm out etc. I just don't want to hear it any more.

Comment

Working...
                              X