Would YOU stand for the Hallelujah chorus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Would YOU stand for the Hallelujah chorus?

I was at a local performance of Messiah last night (would have been singing, but hadn't been to rehearsals this term, what with one thing and another!) and was contemplating what to do when the Hallelujah chorus cropped up, as I think it nonsense and outdated to carry on the (imho) ridiculous tradition to stand just because George II did once. I was sitting next to an elderly couple, the chap being quite disabled and usually in a wheelchair. He and his wife initially remained seated, so in a show of solidarity, and because it suited the way I felt, I remained seated too. But the poor chap obviously thought he should stand, so he struggled to his feet, supported by his wife. I then joined in by standing too, not wanting to be the only dissenter (as in the national anthem thread: going with the local convention seemed to make sense and cause no offence).
    I'm not asking if I did the right thing in last night's particular circumstances (I'm pretty sure that I did!) but I'm wondering in general if audiences still stand for the Hallelujah chorus, and what other forumites think about this tradition.
    Last edited by Pulcinella; 04-12-16, 11:14. Reason: Wrong George!
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

I think you got it right. It's a rather nice tradition that does no-one any harm. At the same time, you showed great humanity in supporting the couple.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      I think you got it right. It's a rather nice tradition that does no-one any harm. At the same time, you showed great humanity in supporting the couple.

I'd stand in respect of anything in Messiah (or by Handel in general) - but I'd make it very clear that I hadn't just nodded off and had thought that it was the National Anthem!
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
        • Dec 2010

Thank you for answering my unwritten question, which was "do the British still stand for the Hallelujah! Chorus"? I last attended a performance in England 45 years ago.
        ps I note that Pulcinella has already asked the question: apologies for not reading post #1 properly.
        Last edited by Alain Maréchal; 04-12-16, 11:19.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
          Thank you for answering my unwritten question, which was "do the British still stand for the Hallelujah! Chorus"? I last attended a performance in England 45 years ago.
          ps I note that Pulcinella has already asked the question: apologies for not reading post #1 properly.
          Tradition and respect.
          I stand for Trelawny, Hallelujah Chorus and National Anthem.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

I stood up a couple of years ago for this great peace and yes it's a nice tradition and should be upheld, imo.
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Hornspieler
              Late Member
              • Sep 2012

For me, the question does not arise, because I would not be there.

However, I cannot understand why it is more important than any other section from an oratorio - either religious or secular.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                Tradition and respect.
                I stand for Trelawny, Hallelujah Chorus and National Anthem.
                Touché Cloughie, but
                a. whom or what is one respecting? (I am aware there may be faux-amis, or connotations lost in translation).
                b. What is Trelawny?

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
                  Touché Cloughie, but
                  a. whom or what is one respecting? (I am aware there may be faux-amis, or connotations lost in translation).
                  b. What is Trelawny?
                  I was wondering about your point b too, Alain.
                  Surely cloughie does not stand all the way through Breakfast when the Squire is presenting it?

Comment

• Tapiola
                    • Jan 2011

The tradition of standing for the Hallelujah Chorus survives in this part of the world, and I have no problem with it. Apparently, George II mistakenly took the line "and He shall reign for ever and ever" as referring to himself, and stood at this point to acknowledge such.

I'm with fhg on this - I would stand in respect of anything by Handel.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                      • Dec 2010

Please do not think I was denigrating the practice, I have no opinion, but was asking if it still happens, and the answer appears to be "yes".

ps. It occurs to me that George II probably understood English as imperfectly as the composer.
                      Last edited by Alain Maréchal; 04-12-16, 12:11. Reason: grammar, as usual.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Gulp - - never been to a live Messiah.....

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                          Gulp - - never been to a live Messiah.....
                          As a member of an audience, I've only ever been to one (and I can't remember if there was any standing for the HC then) - the seven other performances I've been involved in, I've either been in the choir and/or playing Timps, so have been standing anyway!
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ardcarp
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

I think embarrassment sets in (we Brits embarrass easily in public places) when some do, some don't and some are uncertain. I would recommend that in the prgramme there should be a short sentence along the lines of You are invited to stand for the Hallelujah Chorus. Then the majority will have the decision made for them and will conform. Those that have very strong feelings about it will be able to make their point all the more forcefully by remaining seated.
                            playing Timps, so have been standing anyway
                            Do the kettledrums have long legs...or do you use extra-long sticks?

Comment

• pastoralguy
                              • Nov 2010

I used to play the Messiah every year for a choral society that was based in a small town outside Edinburgh. The lady who ran and conducted the society had a somewhat FORCEFUL personality. Her rehearsal technique was to employ a microphone turned up to full volume to address the assembled choir and orchestra, all of whom quaked in her prescence. What she was oblivious to was that her asides to the leader were amplified so that when called the first oboe 'an odious little man', the comment was relayed with a force that could have filled the Albert Hall! The only redeeming feature was that the gig was very well paid and there was a lovely tea as well which, as a starving and impecunious student, I felt I couldn't turn down despite a comment about 'why does he make those stupid faces when he plays?' being directed sotto voce to the leader but actually broadcast to the whole nation through a P.A. system designed for a Black Sabbath gig!

Anyway, She would leave the orchestral parts in the care of a local music shop and players were expected to collect them as soon as possible. However, this particular year I had been somewhat tawdry since I'd been busy with exams and Christmas concerts. Besides, I'd played the Messiah dozens of times before and actually had my own first fiddle part.

Well, this woman 'phoned me at 08.00 on Boxing Day Morning and gave me a real ear bashing since she felt I had let her down, let the music shop and, worst of all, let MYSELF down by my unreasonable behaviour! All I could go was mumble a muted apology before she put the 'phone down on me.

A most bizarre occasion which has done nothing to endear me to Handel's immortal masterpiece which, frankly, I turn off if it sneaks up on me on the radio. Oh dear.
                              Last edited by pastoralguy; 04-12-16, 13:10.

Comment

Working...
                              X